PDA

View Full Version : what is a crit challenge?

kpc
04-30-2004, 04:27 PM
I'm clueless, but I know you are the gals to ask. Our tiny town that never does anything is having "The Mayors Krispy Kreme Crit Challenge" It makes a 0.7 loop mi thru town. I would like to support biking here, but don't know what this is. The only thing I see for women specifically is "Women 3/4 25 miles" with a footnote "Part of the REI Cat 4& Proteus Cat 3 Womens Race Series Bar Mid Atlantic Series event*separate prize list." Does this mean that you go around the course 36.7 times? Fast? And how competitive are these things? Foot races have a few fast people and it's cool for everyone else to be realtively slow. Is that how it is for bikes? Do they put ALL women together, eg, 49 yr olds w 19 yr olds? And there's stuff about licenses, can you ride w/o? Sorry to be such a goober and I appreciate your input. I'm a woman who is in acceptable shape, but I ride for fun. Let me know if I should check this out.

Veronica
04-30-2004, 05:29 PM
It's a short course lap race. Very exciting - at least the few I've been to because you can see the whole course.

You can get a one day license - at least out here. How are your group riding skills?

V.

kpc
05-01-2004, 03:03 AM
Don't relly have group skills. I usually ride alone. For the group rides I've done, people spread out and then regroup @ the stops. Or just ride along in clumps of 2 to 5.

Veronica
05-01-2004, 04:03 AM
The crits I've seen have had big packs, not pacelines, packs of riders, that's why I asked. Of course, there have been riders off the front and riders off the back. But the main group seems to be in a pack for much the ride.

We really like going and watching. They are very exciting.

Veronica

kpc
05-01-2004, 10:46 AM
Just talked to someone on my group ride. Her husband does these. Apparently they are for competitive people who want to win. These are not like 5k run/walks. You must be racing and able to keep up or they pull you out. I now know that I will go and watch.