PDA

View Full Version : finding the right saddle

assassin__x
04-02-2002, 05:43 AM
I want a more comfortable saddle, but it seems to me that the only way to find the saddle that is right for you is to buy a few and try them out till you hit one that works. But I don't really have the money to spend on a saddle that I'm not going to use. Is there something I'm missing in the search for the right saddle?

J**
04-02-2002, 01:21 PM
Assassin__X--Many LBSs and some internet mail order companies will let you try out a saddle for a while then exchange it for another until you find the one that works for you. Terry Precision Cycling is especially good about this, and they even provide a guarantee. They are on the web at www.terrybicycles.com

But definitely check with your local bike shop first, especially if you want to avoid shipping charges and waiting for things to arrive in the mail.
--J

assassin__x
04-03-2002, 03:11 AM
If you purchase a Terry sadle through a retailer will they still allow me to exchange the saddle. When I was in the Mountain Equipmen Co-op the other day I noticed a couple of Terry sadles.

J**
04-03-2002, 04:45 AM
It depends on the retailer whether you'll be able to exchange a saddle after using it. Most bike shops in my area let you do this, but it's best to ask that particular store what their policy is before you buy.

If they resist the idea, call some bike shops in your area and see if they can help you out.

Sammy
04-03-2002, 02:46 PM
After MtBing for the past 3 or 4 years I bought a new road bike. When I test road it, the first thing I noted was the need for a different saddle. The bike shop owner worked a deal with me to swap out any parts I needed at a discount. After riding a few times with my new bike and saddle, I notice some inflamation in a vital area of my unmentionables. I tried adjustments, new shorts and the whole deal. Finally, one day I went out and thought I was okay until The inflamation got worse and woke me up in the middle of the night. I went to work the next day and was EXTREMELY uncomfortable. As it turned out, I had a cycst caused by my saddle. It broke during the day and wasn't pretty. I went home, got changed and went back to my dealer. The moral to this story is; All Saddles are returnable. Most give a 90 day money back guarantee. I'm rather fond of the liberator(the ones with the holes in 'em) saddles. The good news is, I replaced my saddle and road 53 miles since this weekend.

J**
04-03-2002, 05:08 PM
Wow, that's the worst saddle story I ever heard! Sammy, I think you got the Anti-Saddle!