PDA

View Full Version : It's tooo hot!!!!

light_sabe_r
11-26-2006, 10:38 AM
Okay Aussie girls. While our Northern Hemispherian friends are battling the cold weather slump... I'm finding myself unable to ride because of the title of this thread!!!

IT'S TO HOT!

You've either got to have finished up by 7am or start riding after 5:30pm in order not to show up looking all red and puffy and sweaty.

Considering two weeks ago we had that unseasonable COLD weather rip through... NOW we're well and truely IN SUMMER up here in QLD... The humidity, the haze, the "I can't sleep because the sheets are stuck to my back" kind of nighttime heat.

So this is my first summer of riding. how do you girls keep it cool here?

Thistle
11-26-2006, 12:41 PM
I hear you Light_Sabe_R:D I said to DH during winter this year, "i'll never complain about summer again, i cant wait to ride with only one layer of clothes, i dont care that i'm hot and sweaty"... well i'm complaining :D it's too hot :eek:

I still ride to work, but i leave home at the ungodly hour of 6.30 (or 6.45 if i cant drag my butt out of bed like this morning) and get here by 7.30 at the latest. Then i shower all the sweat off and look halfway respectable.

I wont leave work til 5.30pm at the earliest and then huff and puff all the way home before showering again! This from someone who does not like to sweat :p

On the weekends, if we ride, we literally meet friends at 7am :eek: and plan to be home by 10.30 or 11am.

All this and i live in a city where it cools down overnight... unlike brissie :eek:

But... we dont have aircon at work, so most days i'm sitting in an office that's 28 - 29 degrees.. :( and our aircon is broken at home :( :(

Thistle
11-26-2006, 05:19 PM
http://www.diegov.com/projects/dweather/

this is kinda cool

it's currently 26 degrees in canberra. hoping we dont get to the 32 they forecast :o

Veronica
11-26-2006, 05:27 PM
I refused to read this post this morning as I headed out in my tights and wool jersey.

28 - 32 C sounds like my kind of ride. That's 80 - 89 F. I like to be warm. :D

V.

PS Sometimes I think I ought to flip hemispheres every season.

mimitabby
11-26-2006, 05:39 PM
yayaya

People in Western Washington have their cars stuck in the snow and they don't have power in their houses and the temp lingers around freezing. and you guys
are too hot. Isn't it just crazy??!?

crazycanuck
11-26-2006, 07:50 PM
Umm light & theav..Apparently it's not hot yet..:eek:

I know it's getting hotter but not really hot yet because the fire danger signs aren't up to extreme yet..just one more notch..!!!:eek:

Australia's the only country i've ever seen commercials advising people to clean thier gutters etc in case of bushfires.

All we ever get in Canada are windchill warnings and the suggested shovel, blanket, candles & chocolate in your boot.

c

Thistle
11-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Umm light & theav..Apparently it's not hot yet..:eek:

I know it's getting hotter but not really hot yet because the fire danger signs aren't up to extreme yet..just one more notch..!!!:eek:

c

uh oh... that's not good... i know 30 isnt that bad (that's what it is here right now)... and we had 34 and 36 over the weekend... i just dont want it any hotter ... i'll be riding home at midnight!:eek:

cant complain, it cooled down to a beautiful 24 yesterday about 3pm.... if only the weather people could predict that, we could plan rides accordingly :D

not leaving til the burn goes outta that sun ... thank god for TE website when i get tired of shortcircuiting my brain with data, data and more.... data :(

Trekhawk
11-27-2006, 08:16 AM
Okay Aussie girls. While our Northern Hemispherian friends are battling the cold weather slump... I'm finding myself unable to ride because of the title of this thread!!!

IT'S TO HOT!

You've either got to have finished up by 7am or start riding after 5:30pm in order not to show up looking all red and puffy and sweaty.

Considering two weeks ago we had that unseasonable COLD weather rip through... NOW we're well and truely IN SUMMER up here in QLD... The humidity, the haze, the "I can't sleep because the sheets are stuck to my back" kind of nighttime heat.

So this is my first summer of riding. how do you girls keep it cool here?

LOL - I was talking to my sister-in-law last night she lives in Brisbane and she was telling me that it was super hot. Now this girl just loooooves the heat (unlike this little duck who hates super hot weather) and even she said it felt like she was going to burst into flames. You have my sympathy - Aussie Summers can be a killer. Thats why I want to live in Tassie - up north is just too hot for me.

moo bean
11-27-2006, 04:47 PM
You have my sympathy - Aussie Summers can be a killer. Thats why I want to live in Tassie - up north is just too hot for me.

It's 32 degrees C in Sydney at the moment. *swelter, swelter* I'm about this colour when I get to work -- :mad: -- but my facial expression is usually more like :D

Trekhawk
11-28-2006, 08:28 AM
It's 32 degrees C in Sydney at the moment. *swelter, swelter* I'm about this colour when I get to work -- :mad: -- but my facial expression is usually more like :D

Yep 32 in Sydney always seems so much hotter than in other places I think maybe its the humidity.
We lived on the South Coast before we came to the USA and I think it was the humidity that did me in there. I sure did like those big electrical storms though, never have seen such amazing lightning shows before or since.

mimitabby
11-28-2006, 08:37 AM
so if a person lived to the farthest south of Australia, the weather wouldn't be too hot?

Trekhawk
11-28-2006, 08:42 AM
so if a person lived to the farthest south of Australia, the weather wouldn't be too hot?

It still can get hot but most of the time it is cooler down in Tasmania.

susanm8048
11-28-2006, 07:32 PM
I hear you light sabre r!!

It is STINKING hot here today....and humid too.

I am trying hard not to complain too much because it is still only November and it is a long , long time till we get the blankets out again.

In answer to your question re bike riding....sh.....I must confess, I have been hitting the airconditioned gym, and using the treadmill right in front of a huge fan, and taking off as many clothes as decently possible. It is not a glamorous look! Alternately, I have been repeating the above exercise except in a Spin class.

Good luck for your next triathlon. Can't wait to hear a race report.

Sue

crazycanuck
11-28-2006, 07:48 PM
HArumph i say..We had a thunderstorm this morning..(haha..Ian got caught in it..:o ) but i missed out on the rain as it started to pour just as i got to work.

It's going to be a fun ride home tonight with the nasty headwinds.

c

caligurl
11-28-2006, 08:06 PM
i'll trade you! i prefer the heat to the cool..... low 90's (f) is PERFECT weather for me! 60's is cool.... 50's is downright cold.... and 40's.... BRRRRRRR

but then.... the majority of spring/summer/fall months the temps here are over 100... with plenty of 110+ and even 120+ days (i set out to ride several 128 degree days this past summer!)

Thistle
11-30-2006, 12:57 PM
wow .. do any of you guys actually ride in (what i call) extreme heat. it's going to be 34 here today, and i just cant imagine riding in the middle of the day... but maybe it's ok if you're sunscreened up and have your camelbak?

i'll ride in 34 late in the afternoon, but i just cant imagine it in the middle of the day!

Thistle
11-30-2006, 12:58 PM
sorry, i realise we are "girls"... just read that as i posted it and hoped no one is offended by the term "guys"... just an aussie term to encompass everyone :o

caligurl
11-30-2006, 01:21 PM
*raises hand* i do! all the time in the summer! i ride up to ... hmmmmmm 53.3333333 degrees (tee hee.... i have a converter on my PDA!) but i'm not in australia... so do i count? :( )

crazycanuck
11-30-2006, 01:28 PM
Cali!!! HOly Kapooeies! :eek: :eek:

HOW???? 53c!!! No freakin way man!!! How????

Do tell dear, do tell.

If it's above 35c I melt like a snowman..

c

caligurl
11-30-2006, 01:38 PM
first and foremost... i believe it's cuz i'm acclimated! the majority of my weekday summer rides are in temps at or over 37.77778 (love my pda!)

it is usually dry here (again... cuz it's the desert).... so low humidity does help!

i'm absolutely miserable when temps get down to 10 (i feel like i'm talking a foreign language! tee hee) and i dress like a mummy!

i always say it really is what you are used to! folks "back east" who normally only ride in 80 degrees... errr.... 26.66667 degrees.... think 10 is fine.... but they have to remember that's a 30 degree (F) difference.... for me.... the 30 degree difference from my "norm" would be 21.11111 which i actually find very cool to ride in and will be in long sleeves and tights unless i'm climbing!

(and i've been whining for 2 days cuz we are suffering through VERY cold temps for socal and especially here in the desert! we got down to -6.66667 overnight! *GASP* and it's still only 13.88889 at 2:30 in the afternoon! BRRRRRRRR! but that's unusual for us... arctic freeze! lol! BRRRRRR)

TerraNik
12-14-2006, 12:57 AM
wow .. do any of you guys actually ride in (what i call) extreme heat. it's going to be 34 here today, and i just cant imagine riding in the middle of the day... but maybe it's ok if you're sunscreened up and have your camelbak?

i'll ride in 34 late in the afternoon, but i just cant imagine it in the middle of the day!

I went riding (mtb) last weekend in the middle of the day... well, it started in the morning but ended up pretty late!! (3.5 hour ride). We got home and my partner and I had red arms, and white hands (gloves)... and now my weird tan is even more noticeable!!!

It was a scorcher and was terrible to ride in... The trees made a difference though - I wouldn't have been riding on the road that's for sure.

crazycanuck
01-13-2007, 05:41 PM
It's 36c...Thinking about taking a walk along the beach this afternoon.

Off to melt..

c

Trekhawk
01-13-2007, 06:04 PM
LOL - my mum rang and said they were headed for a scorcher. Keep cool and enjoy the beach.

This side of the world Im thinking about turning up the heating its a little chilly.:)

BleeckerSt_Girl
01-13-2007, 06:20 PM
I went riding (mtb) last weekend in the middle of the day... well, it started in the morning but ended up pretty late!! (3.5 hour ride). We got home and my partner and I had red arms, and white hands (gloves)... and now my weird tan is even more noticeable!!!

It was a scorcher and was terrible to ride in... The trees made a difference though - I wouldn't have been riding on the road that's for sure.

That's funny....I went for a freezing ride last week at 23F degrees, and I came back with a red face shaped like a perfect circle where my balaclaca didn't cover...from the COLD. :eek:

Thistle
01-13-2007, 09:21 PM
we had 41 degrees on fri ... hottest day in canberra since 1968! third hottest day on record.

i am not enjoying this part of summer :mad:

but we got a ride in this morning before it got too hot. am sitting in the office preparing for my interview tomorrow waiting for the temp to drop enough to open the windows and cool the house down :(

did i really complain about winter?

RoadRaven
01-14-2007, 09:22 AM
well, its too hot over here too... at 8pm last night, after a day of racing, we were all melting in 30' dusk heat!

seems strange as we had snow on the near-by mountains just two days before christmas (we don't have snow where i live at christmas ... well, we didn't til this year!)

its 7am now and its already 25' - think it'll be another scorcher!

Thistle
01-14-2007, 11:22 AM
commiserations RoadRaven :( :(

at least it cooled down overnight. it's actually quite nice right now, but ..... i can see in the sky is going to be another hot one.....

mimitabby
01-14-2007, 11:36 AM
well you hot girls from the southern hemisphere, we're going bonkers here in the PNW from the extreme, un called for and unreasonable COLD!

but i don't want to be as hot as you are either.
take a cheap old tube sock, fill it with ice and put it around your neck!

saved some lives on our cascade 1200 ride last summer when it was 106 degrees, sorry, i don't know the conversion.

RoadRaven
01-14-2007, 03:05 PM
I think 106' is about 38-39'

PHEW!!!
I don't think I would ride in that... not even if I could melt myself onto the bike!

Trekhawk
01-15-2007, 10:25 AM
we had 41 degrees on fri ... hottest day in canberra since 1968! third hottest day on record.

i am not enjoying this part of summer :mad:

but we got a ride in this morning before it got too hot. am sitting in the office preparing for my interview tomorrow waiting for the temp to drop enough to open the windows and cool the house down :(

did i really complain about winter?

Yikes gotta love Canberra bl**dy hot in summer, freezing bl**dy cold in winter. It is great for cycling though so we will forgive it its weather. How is the water supply holding out?? Has the garden turned to dust yet??

Eden
01-15-2007, 10:32 AM
I think 106' is about 38-39'

PHEW!!!
I don't think I would ride in that... not even if I could melt myself onto the bike!

Last year during our State Championship ITT's (40K) the temperature was in the 90's and may have even hit 102 f (38.8 c) while I was out on the course!!
I took the neutral water at the turn around, but I dumped most of it over my head and back rather than drinking it!!
It only got hotter as the men went out during the next hour. One guy even collapsed just after he finished and had to have an ambulance called. It's truely brutal to ride when its that hot.

Thistle
01-16-2007, 12:29 PM
ughhhhhhhhhhh :mad:

i rode in yesterday, trying not to be deterred by the weather, but it was still 35.8 when i left at 6.15pm. the ride home sucked :mad:

i had my camelbak and was drinking all the way home, but i still had a splitting headache when i got home. not a happy little vegemite :mad:

i dont think i'm built for riding in the heat. we were going to have a social ride round the lake after work this fri, but i've called it off cos it's going to be 37 degrees, and the temp doesnt really drop til about 9pm. :eek: :eek:

waaaaaah.... bring back 25 degrees.... i want to ride my bike :(

crazycanuck
01-25-2007, 05:46 AM
Don't melt out there this weekend!!! :eek:

It's 32c at 1130pm!!!
:eek:

http://www.bom.gov.au/

Fremantle Doctor where are you?? Please bring us that wonderful breeze we love!

c

light_sabe_r
01-25-2007, 01:36 PM
I feel sorry for you tomorrow CC, It's gonna be 40 degrees in perth

We had massive storms yesturday... Cooled the place down... But riding this morning was like breathing water it was that humid.

crazycanuck
01-27-2007, 01:32 AM
It's still hot hot hot..It feels like an oven outside and tomorrow's going to be much the same. Ian & I are going to head to the beach in the morning & then come home & clean.

We went mtn biking/camping for the holiday weekend but it's just too hot to bike. We decided to leave early & come home today although we were going to stop at another area to mtn bike on the way. Well, that idea quickly vanished when we turned onto the main highway as it was closed. There's a major forest fire in the area! We saw some smoke billowing in the air yesterday but weren't sure where it was.

OMG..click on the above link i posted for the weather and check out the 7 day forecast. :eek:

c

RoadRaven
01-27-2007, 08:09 AM
I like being here... it was 26' for the 2pm racing yesterday, with a sea breeze and the earth already cooled down even more by the early morning drizzle...

6am here now and although its 19' already, I do not think it'll get much hotter than yesterday

I don't think I will come to Perth or Queensland or anywhere in Oz in January or February... I don't think I could cope!

crazycanuck
02-05-2007, 01:03 AM
So Aussie ladies..

How are you faring in the heat? Sure hope you're staying somewhat cool.

Postiechic-is Melbourne still covered in the smoke from the bush fires?

THe temps are driving me batty. It's going to be 40C on wednesday(hence why I rode home today) but then only 30c on thursday. This is just plain annoying.

Some rain everywhere in Australia wouldn't go amiss right now. The bush fire threat is Extreme at the moment. I often am sitting at home at night & suddenly smell smoke & wonder :eek: is that me self combusting? Nope, just another bush fire!!!

My thoughts are with the folks south of Perth who lost their homes on the weekend.

Keep cool.

c

RoadRaven
02-05-2007, 11:32 AM
I'm with CC wishing you gals safety over there.

We have been watching the evening news, and listening on the morning radio and hearing about the fires.

We have two days of heavy rain due to arrive this afternoon, and after a week of mild drizzles, I wish we could send this Easterly your way.

light_sabe_r
02-05-2007, 11:49 AM
My pregnant cousin's house has been flooded out in GIRU.

My Aunt and her family are moping up their entertainment areas in AYR.

Half my bloody family up in Noth Queensland has been flooded out! LOL Thanks for the rain... But if that was distributed between the rest of Australia there would be a good chance the drought would break! lol

Meanwhile in Brisbane It's cooled down a bit at night. ^_^ I've gotten a top sheet out again.

RoadRaven
02-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Wow, LightSaber... I didn't realise there was flooding in Queensland - I have only seen the fires on telly here!

I better make sure I try and send some of this predicted rain to RIGHT bits of Oz!

Mags...
02-05-2007, 07:06 PM
Went for a ride early this morning - it was only 12.8 degrees (! in the middle of summer?).. had the arm-warmers on and I was still cold. But now it's starting to hot up - getting uncomfortable... it's going to be one of those days when you wear 4 different sets of clothes between sunrise and bedtime.

Thistle
02-06-2007, 01:04 PM
got out for my ride early this morning... it was so nice to see something other than 1000 miles of blue sky and sun. there are some clouds, dont think we'll get any rain, but at least it wasnt just burning sun... and it was cool - 18 degrees... funny how that feels cool now :D

crazycanuck
03-06-2007, 03:19 AM
Fark..It's been hot today..Can i whinge about Perth weather.

What is going on??? One week it's hot-ok around 35+, next one it's only around 28c, etc etc..

We're in the midst of a heatwave-well it made it to 42C...I thought my eyes were melting when I went outside this afternoon...
It's just cooling down now at 9pm...29C. If you take a look at the temps http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDW60901/IDW60901.94609.shtml, it shows that over the past 24hrs it's cooled down a tad but not a huge amt!!!

I am really looking forward to a sticky, hot bike ride at 5am tomorrow..:rolleyes:

C

Thistle
03-06-2007, 12:26 PM
bummer crazy, things have cooled down a bit in canberra. the weekend was hot, and mon was stinky, humid semi-hot, but yesterday... oh there is a god... 23 degrees :D :D was our max! and on the ride in yesterday morning i had to wear arm-warmers!!! sooooo excited to be cold :D

but of course the days are now shorter and i'm going to have to put my light on for the rides in... it's just too dark.

hang in there cc, it has to cool down eventually... doesnt it?:o after all, it's autumn and soon i get to moan about the cold ... if only autumn lasted all year round.. sigh :o

Mags...
03-06-2007, 03:52 PM
crazy, I feel very sorry for you (and my daughters who both also live in Perth)..it's hot enough here in the south west, just checked BOM, 28.4 at 9:00am. The forecast is for a cooler 37 here later this afternoon, but another 42 again for Perth. Isn't it bizarre with daylight savings, Perth's max temperature yesterday was just over 42 degrees at 4:45PM...!!
But a cooler change should be coming in tomorrow...

Went for a 50km ride this morning, had a warmish breeze with sweet bush smells, which was nice and awful at the same time. Had a kangaroo cross the road in front of me, 3 bike lengths in front - in the dark at about 6:15, bit scary. Only saw him when he was directly in front of my bike light...