PDA

View Full Version : Topolino wheelset

guest1
11-26-2006, 07:25 AM
Wondering if anyone is riding this Topolino C19, or other Topolino wheelset. Your opinion?!

SadieKate
11-26-2006, 09:15 AM
Yes, a few of us. I've had mine for a couple years and love them. If you use the search function you'll find some references.

guest1
11-26-2006, 12:14 PM
Wanted to see if there are others with Topolino before asking about them ...

I don't need info on them, I have a set. Have been riding Topolino C19 for over 1.5 years with no problems and enjoying the light responsive damping features of Topolino.

Yet, now 8000 miles later, I am starting to have mechanical problems with them. First, loose hub. Second, needed my hub body replaced. Third, hub not engaging after body replacement. Finally, a broken nipple. Talking with both Topolino Tech and my LBS to fix all problems. Don't know if this is the nature of the wheelset or simply the wheelset with use. ALL NEW TO ME!!!

So my questions:
1. How long are wheelsets suppose to mechanically last prior to service and problems.
2. Topolino users: Any mechanical problems -- what and when did they start happening?!!

DebW
11-26-2006, 02:17 PM
So my questions:
1. How long are wheelsets suppose to mechanically last prior to service and problems.

No experience with Topolino or any of the lightweight low-spoke count modern wheels, but just for comparison, a traditional aluminum hub should last decades if properly cared for. There are undoubtedly Campy Records hubs that have been in continuous service for 50 years. I've got a 30 year old set I'm still riding (not even Campy Record, but Tipo). Topolino is obviously pushing the envelope of lightweight materials and innovative engineering, since the spokes don't even lace directly onto the hub. And the spokes are kevlar and carbon, not traditional steel.

As far as whole wheels, rims need to be replaced as they get banged and bent and can no longer be trued adequately. I've replaced my rims three times in 30 years, lacing new spokes onto the same old hub. Probably most people can go at least 5 years between rim replacements, assuming proper tire inflation and a careful rider and aluminum rims.

guest1
11-30-2006, 04:09 AM
Thanks for replying, DebW ... did NOT realize hubs should and could last as long as you stated! Not knowing anything about hubs/rims and Topolino specific, I feel I have abused my wheels by improper yearly maintenance, causing me problems. LBS too said my hubs should outlast my rims!

Discovered that the hub body replacement was a result of needing to replace a bad bearing, but the LBS did not understand Topolino hubs and broke body when trying to replace. Hub body not engaging has to do with new seal on hub body, needing to be broken in more, per Topolino -- not causing any problems except crank arms continue to move if pushed and bike on stand. And the broken nipple COULD be a manufacturer defect (yes, new technology comes with a small learning curve!) with too small of spoke hole size on rim or a freak accident. Topolino sending me nipple replacement and willing to review and fix, if needed, spoke nipple hole size if it happens again -- yet, want to see if happens a second time to elimate the "bad nipple, just happend" case.

Still anxious to hear if anyone out there uses Topolino and their experience! Thanks:confused: :)