PDA

View Full Version : Giant OCR 3

magrat22
04-29-2004, 07:37 PM
Anybody heard anything about this bike. I'm small 4'11'' and tried an number of the women's bikes but they really didn't fit me properly as I have a short torso and short legs. I looked at Specialized, Trek, Fuji, Cannondale and fianlly Giant (which don't have women's bike but do xs compact frames) and overall I found the Giant the best fit. I've heard alot of negatives about Shimano Sora's - anyone use them and had problems?

On another note I LOVE this forum, I read alot of the treads and it's nice to see I'm not the only one afraid to take my hands of the handlebar and to learn how to use those clipless pedals (which by the way I think is a stupid name..because they CLIP!!!).

Kerri

Carpe Diem

ajhagg
04-30-2004, 03:42 AM
Hi there, ive got an OCR 3 got it for Christmas, i love it, its great, its my first road bike, havent had any problenms with it, apart from smashing it into peices going down a hill in the rain (too much break)! All back together and its great. :)

magrat22
04-30-2004, 06:47 AM
Oh wow..what happened..do you mean you braked to hard and skidded? Sorry I'm really new to biking and well it doesn't rain much in Alberta so haven't exeperienced skiddy roads yet..thank goodness. Glad you like the OCR 3, what colour do you have? has it a name? Okay typical girlie questions but what can I say I'm a girl!!!

magrat22
04-30-2004, 07:30 AM
Here she is ;)

okay I tried to post a picture of my bike and it didn't come up?? Strange...maybe something to do with the fact I only joined yesterday you probably have to earn attachment rights ;o).

kelrunran
04-30-2004, 10:51 AM
When you said that you looked at "women's bikes" and you mention Specialized, did you look at the Specialized Allez Dolce?

I am 4 11 1/2 and that bike fits me really well - and before that I had a compact Cannondale which also fit me.

Kelly

magrat22
04-30-2004, 08:52 PM
Hi Kelly, I did try the specilized dolce sport which I believe is the same as the allez dolce it was lovely unfortunately they didn't have my size and I found out that specialized didn't give enough stock to Canada this year and as a result there are no dolce's to be had anywere near me. I tried everywhere as I really liked it but none of the Specialized bike shops had any left :(

I'm happy now with my OCR 3 she isn't as pretty as the Dolce but she's all I need for now as I'm just a beginnger.

Kerri

ajhagg
05-04-2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by magrat22
Oh wow..what happened..do you mean you braked to hard and skidded? Sorry I'm really new to biking and well it doesn't rain much in Alberta so haven't exeperienced skiddy roads yet..thank goodness. Glad you like the OCR 3, what colour do you have? has it a name? Okay typical girlie questions but what can I say I'm a girl!!!
Yeah its very wet in scotland and the roads were very greasy, plus i had been used to the MTB, breaked to hard and high offsided, its wasnt a pretty site, got some scars to remind me!!!!!
My Giant is the Grey colour and is called MY BABY, she sits in my bedroom on a turbo trainer, shes too good to go in the garage!!! Whats yours called and what colour is she????

magrat22
05-04-2004, 03:30 PM
Mines called "Abbey" after "Abbey Road" the album by the Beatles. I also named her Abbey after the character in ER because in a recent episode she admitted she's never followed anything through until she started studying to be a Dr. That pretty much describes me so I'm hoping it'll give me inspiration to follow through on not just cycling but in all other areas..bet your sorry you asked now..lol.

Abbey is mainly black with yellow trim, she actually has yellow handlbars which I didn't like at first as it makes her look like Daffy Duck but I'm getting used to it.

formicalinoleum
06-14-2004, 11:51 AM
My gf and I both just bought OCR3s--our first road bikes. I really like it. After being used to a mtn bike, this bike seemed so amazingly light and responsive. I too have been told that Sora sucks. But we had to stay under $600, and I don't know if it's possible to get a (new) bike for that price with better than Sora. But I figure the components aren't that important as they are replaceable and upgradable. I was much more concerned about frame and fit and simply liking to ride the bike.

magrat22
06-16-2004, 10:43 AM
My gf and I both just bought OCR3s--our first road bikes. I really like it. After being used to a mtn bike, this bike seemed so amazingly light and responsive. I too have been told that Sora sucks. But we had to stay under $600, and I don't know if it's possible to get a (new) bike for that price with better than Sora. But I figure the components aren't that important as they are replaceable and upgradable. I was much more concerned about frame and fit and simply liking to ride the bike.

I totally agree, the frame is superb on the Giant (I had it checked out by a 15 year road bike veteran..and he thought it was a great bike and totally upgradeable. Seemingly there is even room on the rear hub to go from a 8 speed to 9 speed cassette which makes upgrading to Ultegra's or Dura Ace possible) Anyway I've been riding my OCR 3 for a month now and I love it.

Tiggernancy
06-30-2004, 05:19 AM
I'm also short (5 foot, zero inches) and ride an OCR 3 (extra small frame), and think it's the most comfortable bike I've ridden. Just finished a 400 mile, week long bike trip across Georgia, and had no problems. ( I have the light blue version). Mechanically it's sound, and size-wize it's perfect.

magrat22
06-30-2004, 09:03 AM
Hiya Tiggernancy, I've got the XS frame as well I tried alot of the small frames and even though 44cm seems small it's just that lettle bit to big for me so I couldn't believe my luck when I plonked my butt down on the OCR 3..it fits like a glove. I didn't even bother changing the saddle as I found it really comfortable so all in all it's the perfect bike for me. Now may I shouldn't tell you this but do you know they do the TCR's in extra small too ;).

Tiggernancy
06-30-2004, 09:16 AM
The particular saddle on mine was awful - which I unfortunately discovered in the middle of a 60 mile ride. I ended up riding a lot of it standing up, just to survive. Replaced the original with a Terry saddle the next day. AHHHHH!

Kay
07-01-2004, 06:47 AM
You might also want to look into Terry Bikes: they are specifically designed for women. A friend--also short, as I am--convinced me to get one, and it has a much better fit than the Giant OCR3 I was riding before. Even the reach to the brakes is shortened for smaller hands.

caligurl
07-01-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by magrat22
On another note I LOVE this forum, I read alot of the treads and it's nice to see I'm not the only one afraid to take my hands of the handlebar and to learn how to use those clipless pedals (which by the way I think is a stupid name..because they CLIP!!!).

Kerri

Carpe Diem

hi kerri!

i'm new too! and i don't like taking my hands off the handle bar! and i'm convinced my husband was trying to kill me by having me get shoes and clipless pedals! lol!

i even stop to get a drink of water! what a baby i am!!!!
:rolleyes:

magrat22
07-03-2004, 01:24 AM
Welcome Caligurl. Your braver then I trying clipless pedals I haven't managed them yet I chickened out and bought the cages!! I'm still stopping to drink water I know in time I'll be able to drink while biking but you know how it's hard when I keep thinkin' I shouldn't drink and drive ;)..lol

magrat22
07-03-2004, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Kay
You might also want to look into Terry Bikes: they are specifically designed for women. A friend--also short, as I am--convinced me to get one, and it has a much better fit than the Giant OCR3 I was riding before. Even the reach to the brakes is shortened for smaller hands.

Thanks Kay but I am really happy with my OCR 3 and well having ridden it for more then 2 months now I'm really quite attached to it ;) Plus because I have Shimano Sora's I can adjust the shifters to shorten the reach to the brakes so it really does fit me perfectly. I've really had no problems with it and as it's a 42cm frame it's really the best buy if your short and don't have a typical female frame (short torso, long legs). I appreciate the advice though I may look into it for my second bike ;)

llv24
07-03-2004, 08:00 AM
Hi Girls!

I was reading your thread and was wondering where I can get info on the OCR 3.... a website or something? I am 5'2 and it sounds like you guys have had success with this bike along with a couple of others.... I am currently using a mtn bike and cannot afford a road bike right now but I would still like to research which one would be best for me.... maybe I'll be lucky and get one for christmas too ;)

Thanks!
Linda Leigh

magrat22
07-03-2004, 11:26 AM
Hi Linda,

Try these websites they should give you the breakdown on what the OCR is all about.

Giant's Website (http://www.giant-bicycle.com/default_200406.asp) OCR 3 Review - Roadbike Review (http://www.roadbikereview.com/PRD_138786_4338crx.aspx)

Kerri

magrat22
07-03-2004, 11:46 AM
Publication-Bicycle Magazine

Date-June 2004

Title-EDITOR'S CHOICE: TEN BEST BIKES OF THE YEAR

Findings:

* "We were startled by what Giant offers for just six bills. One tester noted, The frame felt fast and ready to go, and it seems more versatile than its components."
* "The ALUXX butted aluminum frame paired with a carbon fork has a spunky ride, but it's still a smooth platform, worthy of upgrades to better parts as you grow as a rider."
* "Giant knows this bike's buyers aren't seasoned vets, so we give a thumbs-up to the adjustable stem and comfy Michelin Dynamic 25mm tires."