PDA

View Full Version : Last Minute - Cards for Iraq Soldiers

pooks
11-25-2006, 08:56 AM
My friend's son is a Lt. over a unit of over 100 men (all men) in the war zone. We are attempting to get a Christmas/holiday card for each one. We're going to include an AT&T phone card in each one, too. We have all the phone cards but not enough holiday cards because --

The goal isn't just to send a card, that would be easy to buy a bunch of cards. What we're trying to do is have cards that are "individual" in nature. Where somebody not just signed it, but also tucked in something a little extra -- a picture a child drew or a postcard from where they live, or something along that nature.

Again, while either of us could do a bunch of them, we'd like the guys to have cards from more than two people. We've gotten a lot together but not enough.

So if anybody here has one (or more) extra holiday cards handy and time to do something to personalize it then pop it in the mail to me in the next couple of days, please email me or pm me, and I'll tell you where to send it. The card should be unsealed so that we can put the phone cards in. (They are all 120 minute cards so that they will be equal.)

Thanks in advance! I have to put this stuff in the mail by this Friday, so this would mean you doing this in the next day or two.

Trek420
11-25-2006, 01:21 PM
Pooks,

I hope you're getting the discounted cards for the troops from ATT.

Thanks for doing this and helping them to keep in touch. I'll pm you.

Those of you with friends/family serving at this time or in VA hospitals, to get discounted calling cards:

www.sbc.com/gen/press-room?pid=7930

Trek-hates-this-war-but-looooooooves-our-troops :D-420

pooks
11-25-2006, 01:30 PM
Trek, you and I are on the same team. Hate the war, love the troops.

Thanks for the pm, and thanks to the others who have pmmed me, too!

Trek420
11-25-2006, 01:40 PM
One of my friends who I train with (Aikido) is married to a Green Berret. He's done two tours there (at least). He's home now thank higher power great pumpkin of your choice.

Anyway he said that a lot of these kids don't get letters from home, they may be estranged from family or in some cases family members do not know how to write :eek: Others the family is close and literate...but so scared it freezes them and they don't write.

For whatever reason some don't get mail.

The comanding officer will know who gets mail often and who doesn't. He or she will make sure these troops get mail.

So these types of letter drives are a great way of letting them know we care back home. Keep doing this.

pooks
11-25-2006, 01:48 PM
Her son is the commanding officer and he's the one who suggested the 120 minute phone cards. I think that gives them about 15 minutes to call the US. He said when the guys get cards with LOTS of minutes on them, they tend to tie up the phones and then get mad at each other for, duh, tieing up the phones so the others can't use them! It helps having some inside info.

We're also sending some other stuff they need in bulk, and letting her son figure out who needs/gets it. But we wanted to send the cards to everybody!

Thanks again. I'm glad your friend is safe.

Trek420
11-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Bill says snacks, candy, "junk foods" always welcome, they are out on patrol for long times so any way to clean up such as the little floss things, handy wipes, mini things of sun screen, books and recent magazines there is "down time" and things to read are welcome...

pooks
11-25-2006, 02:12 PM
Thanks! I'll pick up a lot more of that stuff to send -- we're also sending lots of Starbucks coffee. (I'm assuming the Lt. likes it, but he's promising it goes to all the guys!)

Which reminds me -- I was going to ask my local Starbucks mgr. if she's able to donate any to the cause.

Trek420
11-25-2006, 02:33 PM
I think for any of the supplies you pick up let stores know what you are doing. They may either discount or throw more in....

You do know also not to mail it to Iraq?

Each soldier has the equivelant of a domestic address that will be forwarded to them in field. Whether you know his address in Iraq and mail it straight there...or to the army domestic one...it's on the same d*&^ plane so spare yourself the postage.

crazycanuck
11-25-2006, 08:19 PM
Pooks. Just want to say thanks to your son. :)

You've just reminded me that i need to send some cards to the Aussie/Canuck/NZ troops overseas.

Please let your son know that people on the other side of the world are thinking of him & hoping he comes home to his loving family safely.

Take care

c

pooks
11-25-2006, 08:21 PM
No, not my son. My friend's son. But I'll certainly pass along your message to him and his mom! Thank you!

jeannierides
11-26-2006, 04:56 AM
Jeannie<<who definitely hates this war, but loves the troops

KnottedYet
11-26-2006, 08:47 PM
My brother's ship was stationed in the Persian Gulf, now he's in the western Pacific. A little too close to Korea for my comfort. In the last four years he's been home a total of 6 months.

I think he has it a whole lot easier than the ground troops, he keeps his complaints about conditions to himself. But he does tell us what the military guys think of the way they are being used.

The Christmas cards and phone cards are a great idea.

Knot-also-supports-the-troops-but-not-the-war

pooks
12-13-2006, 03:19 PM
I want to thank EVERYBODY who sent cards -- TE rocks!!!

I'm sorry -- I've been unable to come back and send proper thanks to all of you, but I just wanted you to know the cards are on their way to Iraq and there are around 100 soldiers who are going to be thrilled with them.

Thanks so much for sharing holiday spirit with the guys overseas, especially since I know many of you (like me) are unhappy that they are there to begin with.

But that's all the more reason to support them.

Go team estrogen!