PDA

View Full Version : Long Runs 11/20 - 11/26

kaybee
11-25-2006, 07:19 AM
Our half marathon is next Saturday, so we only had to run 8 miles today. Unfortunately, my running partner is sick and couldn't run today, so I had to run alone, which I haven't done in a long time. It's definitely easier having someone to talk to! Don't know how long it took, because I somehow messed up my watch, but at this point, it doesn't matter.

Hope everyone had good runs this week, and that you all have a great weekend. We hope to ride tomorrow. Yay!

KB

yellow
11-25-2006, 02:55 PM
kaybee, I forget my watch at least 70% of the time. I think it's good to run without it sometimes.

Well, I did two "long" runs this week. I had seen that the local trail running club was having an organized 20k trail run on Thanksgiving Day (I have never run with them before since I really just got back in to running at the end of Sept and have been too fearful of my running ineptitude to really run with many others in this place where everyone seems to be in really good shape). The distance was a "choice"; it was a 4k loop course and you could do from 1 to 5 loops. I had planned on doing 4 loops max, 3 if I got too tired/cold/knee pain/whatever (it was forecast to snow, so I was expecting a chilly run). You recorded your time after each lap on a clipboard at water-bottle central. I'd guess there were about 40 folks there.

It didn't snow, though it was darn windy and the temp dropped from about 50 to about 34 by the time I finished. After loop number 4 I decided to go ahead and try the 5th loop. There was a bailout if I got too tired/cold/knee pain/whatever, plus I could always walk since the loop wasn't too long. I ended up running the whole thing, much to my surprise. My knee was hurting for the last mile or so, but that was to be expected. I think that the half marathon distance will be my limit (sadly). Well, come to find out that someone took all the times and posted everything on the group's website, and that they actually considered it a "race". :eek: Shoot, if I had known that I would have kicked it a little more (yeah, right). As it was I was the "first" woman (out of two that did the entire 20k :rolleyes: ) and the second woman was 10 years my junior.

Oh, and I measured the course when I got home; I calculated 13 miles total, or 20.9k. Guess that's splitting hairs, eh?

My second long run was today. 8 miles on trail. Beautiful clear but cold day. I ran with my usual running buddy (also 10 years my junior) and she kicked my butt. But it was a really nice run.

Grog
11-25-2006, 04:11 PM
Good job on that nearly-half-marathon Yellow! I like the loops thing!

My 'long run' - 16km this week - is tomorrow. I think I'll try to convince my running partner to do two loops of our 8km course. I like the concept.

I did a small 7km in the snow with the new shoes today. Various body parts still hurt, but that's all pretty normal I think, running is not supposed to be exactly... hum, comfortable I guess. I can definitely feel the new-shoes-effect though!!

And it was snowing!! Woohoo!

Now, I have just bought this cheap pedometer today and tested it on my run. It says I took 4333 steps for that 7km (4.35 miles) in 38 minutes, which is unlikely. I mean, I know I have high cadence, but not 114 steps per minute!!! It would also mean a 1.6 meter stride, which also seems exagerated considering that I am 5'4". Anyone has experience with running with one of those thingies? Is mine just out of wack?

Anyway, that was pleasurable, but my feet were tingling like mad after I finished, a frequent effect after running in the cold for me! (Are they just out of wack as well?? :eek: ) I'm now off to the waaarm shower!

Run on ladies!

suzieqtwa
11-25-2006, 06:33 PM
I ran 7 miles today which is good considering I haven't been able to run in 6 months due to ankle injury. I did a few 4 mile runs last week...it just felt good to run again. Ill never be able to do more than 7, or so cause the injury is life time (something in my tendon) ,and PF in both feet. :(

Grog
11-26-2006, 12:01 PM
Wow! That was hard!!

Soon after my running partner and I took off, my first thought was: why didn't I offer her to go for a swim instead? Just walking to the pool would have been hard enough!!!

Snow dumped on us as we ran haphazardly on a medley of our regular routes, sometimes on the sidewalks, sometimes in the middle of the road (where the very rare cars were driving at 10 km/h, giving us ample time to move back to the side!), sometimes on a running trail. Those were the worst, uneven, deep snow terrain making it hard to pull every step out of that mixture. It's not that cold out, about 1 degree celcius, so the snow is very wet and quickly turns to slush. The worst part was when lots of freezing water suddenly rushed in my shoes. After three minutes or so, the water would warm up and my toes would regain some of their mobility, and then swooooosh! again another unexpected freezing puddle. My strength is usually having short strides but a high cadence. Today it was not very useful, I could only do the short stride!!

We ran like that for one hour twenty minute. My running partner hugged the lampost that constitutes our finish line and said she was not going to go further. I couldn't have been more grateful to be home.

So instead of 16 km, we ran 12.5 km. The pace was obviously slower than usual but it definitely was a good workout. I remember thinking after I was done: am I really supposed to ice my legs now? :eek:

Now I don't know if I'll do that again any time soon! Thankfully the snow never lasts long in Vancouver...

yellow
11-27-2006, 08:46 AM
I ran 7 miles today which is good considering I haven't been able to run in 6 months due to ankle injury. I did a few 4 mile runs last week...it just felt good to run again. Ill never be able to do more than 7, or so cause the injury is life time (something in my tendon) ,and PF in both feet. :(
suzieq, if your PF has been with you longer than a year, ask your doc for an MRI as it could be something else! I have a friend that had what she thought was PF, went through PT, quit running (continued to cycle) for two years and it didn't go away. MRI showed a muscle fiber tumor that manifested itself as PF pain. Short story: something else could be causing/contributing to the pain.

I know that only being able to run what you once thought was really "not that tough" can be so hard when you are injured (wheher it be a temporary or more permanent injury). I'm with ya there. I would love to be able to train for and do an ultra distance event, but my knee is shot. So I have to be happy with half marathon distance. I have to keep reminding myself that 13 miles is better than 0 miles.

yellow
11-27-2006, 08:53 AM
Wow! That was hard!!

Just think...if you ran in conditions like that all the time, how fast you'd be on dry, flat ground! :D

Re: the cadence thing, I was just reading some stuff on coolrunning about it. The elites seem to run at 170-180! Yikes! Not that I'll ever be elite, but I am trying to speed up the turnover. I definitely notice a huge difference with fatigue (that is, less of it) on the trails when I go light-and-quick with the feet.

colby
11-27-2006, 09:12 AM
As you all know, this weekend's run was the big 26.2. As I mentioned elsewhere, I'll post a full report later, but despite the weather and some nasty hills, I made it with a sprint at the finish :)

Now... recovery time. Once I can get past THE HUNGER which is settling in today. ;)

Bikingmomof3
11-27-2006, 09:33 AM
Congrats Colby and happy recovery eating. :D

Bikingmomof3
11-27-2006, 09:36 AM
Yellow,
My son (cross country runner) has me run loops as well. :) Nothing shabby about a half marathon. :cool: I am sorry your knee prevents you from going further. Two days ago I had an awesome long run, then yesterday I tried running and the first 2 miles were fine then my left side just refused to cooperate. :( Hopefully tonight will be back to "normal".

seychelle
11-27-2006, 02:29 PM

Yay ! maybe I'll be able to run 7 miles in the next 12 months too. You've inspired me :)