PDA

View Full Version : Spin video or audio for ipod?

Sheesh
11-22-2006, 11:42 AM
I spent many hours last night looking for a spin video (or audio file) that I can use in the spin suite by myself on my ipod.

I checked out the spinnervals DVD previews and they don't seem to fit what I think I want. I'm looking specifically for good music with a voiceover that gives the commands that I can follow along. So, kind of like a class with the instructor on my ipod instead of in front of me.

Anyone have any suggestions?

kelownagirl
11-27-2006, 06:42 PM
I'm watching for the suggestions too.

Maybe you can make one yourself, record your voice over the music? Sounds like you might have a business opportunity here.

Sheesh
11-28-2006, 04:14 PM
If I only knew what I was doing, I could totally do it myself (and maybe make a killing in the process)! Maybe I'll talk to one of my spin instructors and see about getting their mixes and routines and see if I can put it together myself...I'll let you know if I come up with something.

Tarheel Girl
12-16-2006, 06:55 AM
I am new to spinning and new to this board, but iPods and podcasts, I know.

I haev also been searching for a podcast for me to use at home - no luck yet. If you decide to constuct your own, I may be able to help.

kelownagirl
01-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Found this ad with a link in Bicycling Magazine this month. It costs $20/month after the first month free. Podfitness workouts geared to you personally. Your own music. Top Fitness instructors. So they claim. I haven't tried it but it might be good for someone.

https://www.podfitness.com/web/template/signup?aff=bicycling

barb

Sheesh
01-03-2007, 06:47 AM
Great resource! Since the first 30 days are free, I'm going to try it out and see how it works. I'll keep you posted!

I had to laugh, though, when scrolling through the trainer options...Who wants to work out to Danny Bonaduce?

Rakekay
01-03-2007, 09:24 AM
I had to laugh, though, when scrolling through the trainer options...Who wants to work out to Danny Bonaduce?

Hey, I often bike to some vintage Partridge Family!

Sheesh
01-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Sure, but do you want him as your trainer? :rolleyes:

So far, I've logged on using the free 30 day subscription and played around. The interface is pretty easy to use, but the main weakness that I'm finding is that you have no idea what the workout looks like until you've mixed your music. So, if you pick the cycling work out, the trainer may say to crank up your RPMs during a time when you picked out a slower song. I have to go back through now and remix my music to make it fit with what the trainer voice is asking me to do at each part of the workout.

In theory it's a great program, I think they just have a few kinks to work out before it's really very user-friendly.

I'd recommend checking it out, though. They have a few different work outs (cardio and strength) available and you can increase or decrease your intensity level and use your own music from your iTunes playlists.

Sheesh
01-24-2007, 01:31 PM
I canceled my 30 day free trial today (and, in the meantime noticed that they have a 10 day free trial available for anyone!).

Here's my feeling about the program:

It seems geared towards new exercisers who don't know where to begin. This could be an excellent program if you aren't already using an elliptical machine or a stationary bike on a regular basis. But, if you're already somewhat set in your ways, and just want someone to help you mix up your routine a bit, then this program will probably disappoint.

The music mixing function was a pain. There was no way to know what kind of music to put in, and the music often did not line up with instruction. Songs would end in weird places, leaving you working out to quietness when you really may have needed a heart-thumping song at that point.

I would probably go back to using the software if they made some considerable improvements, but for now, it doesn't meet my needs and isn't user-friendly enough to make it worthwhile.

Others may disagree, so if you're interested, check it out using the 10-day free trial.

traveller_62
01-25-2007, 04:15 AM
Carmichael Training Systems has video and audio workouts for ipods. I downloaded a couple of the "Do the Tour, Stay at Home" audio workouts for when I'm traveling and working out in hotel fitness centers.

The CTS workouts are ok. The intervals are typically on the long side (5-6 minutes) in the workouts that I downloaded. So the whole workout tends to last for more than an hour. There are voice overs and countdowns by Chris Carmichael and Bob Roll -- but there is also alot of indirect advertising for various products (like PowerGel) and you don't get a choice of music.

I looked through the descriptions of some of the video workout intervals and jotted them down and am going to use those as templates and get my own music to go along with each interval.

-traveller

Jenn
03-03-2007, 09:22 AM
I found a website http://www.iamplify.com/ and I have downloaded a spinning audio onto my ipod and I love it!! There are alos several other downaloads for other sports and it has alot to offer. I only paid $5.00 for my first download and there are no monthly fees.

Zen
03-07-2008, 07:37 PM
and the club manager and somebody else came in the spin room while I was there. i figured I'd take the opportunity to put my .02 in and asked if they could put in a dvd player so we (I) could do spinnervals. The club manager said sure but the woman he was with told me to just google the term "DVD audio extractor". Lo and behold there is free software that will extract the audio from spinnervals!

So now I have to buy some Spinnervals

Starfish
03-07-2008, 08:37 PM
I haven't done much yet with podcasts, but along those lines, I REALLY like a cycling CD I bought and loaded onto my iPod. It is the Zooming CD from Ian Jackson. I ordered the set, which also has audio for both walking and running programs. I use the Zooming workout the most (it is specifically for cycling).

http://www.breathplay.com

I also bought a Spinerval audio only workout that I put on my iPod. It is a 45 minute high cadence interval workout. I think it is good.

Zen
03-07-2008, 08:44 PM
I also bought a Spinerval audio only workout that I put on my iPod.

Is it like watching a spinnerval dvd, I mean, is there someone giving verbal commands/cues like in a spin class?
I don't know what a spinnerval is like, I've never seen one. I can only compare to spin class.

Starfish
03-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Zen, yes, there are instructions.

There is a brief warm-up (I do more warm up than theirs), but during warm up the workout is described a bit so you know what is coming...also a little instruction about spinning a high cadence.

Then, there is music (edited to add...wait...is there music with this one? I can't remember!), with voice-over guiding you through the interval session: timing the intervals, giving instruction as to what cadence, giving tips on retaining form throughout the interval, and also giving encouragement.

They also remind you to take a drink of water during the rest periods after some intervals, etc.

Zen
03-07-2008, 09:08 PM
i read the Zooming description.
It sounds rather strange and complicated. I don't think I can spin that fast and breath that slow at the same time.
Is it doing anything for you?

Starfish
03-07-2008, 11:21 PM
It actually is not complicated at all. The spin is not super fast...90rpms. The breathing is timed to the rhythm...not super slow, but rhythmic.

The music and voice over are very relaxing...much more wonderful than Coach Troy from Spinervals. And, along with the breathing and the spinning, there are prompts about stretching a variety of small muscles that are easy to forget while riding...things that get tense, but that we can actually stretch on the bike.

It is a paradox...working hard and keeping a decent spin, and breathing from the diaphragm...while also practicing relaxation techniques.

I read an article by Ian Jackson, the guy who made these, about once when he had just finished some kind of endurance event...either an Ironman or maybe one of those double IMs. Anyhow, someone (a reporter? I can't remember) asked him how come he looked so refreshed or peaceful or something at the end, and he said he had just completed XXX number of miles or hours of breathing meditation.

Anyhow, it is interesting. I haven't done it for awhile, but I need to get back. I noticed a better spin, much better breathing, lower HR at the same power, and much more mindfulness and peacefulness during the ride. The CD is something like 90 minutes, and it goes by quickly.

rij73
03-08-2008, 10:41 AM
I too have a workout from iAmplify that is really good. It's the Indoor Cylcing 101 from http://store.iamplify.com/index.php?cPath=10&osCsid=56f16b64fd597e714993b183f4f9d21b

Another good pay-as-you-go service is at itrain. Check out http://store.iamplify.com/index.php?cPath=10&osCsid=56f16b64fd597e714993b183f4f9d21b and click on iCycle.

Then there is always PodRunner.com that has music at a specified speed so can keep a steady cadence. They also have tracks that have "intervals" at a faster speed.

I've been using these three tools for a few weeks now to get in shape for the spring. It's been much more fun than just spinning along with no purpose.

tsingh
08-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Thank you for posting this quesiton. We are in the process of creating just what you've asked for. My friend, Mara Fortin, is the best spin instructor I've ever seen and we will be creating a spin class on DVD with an audio version for ipod users. Send me your email if you'd like to be added to our mailing list to tsingh@tlsinghlaw.com. We'll keep you all posted on our progress.

Happy spinning!
Tracy Singh:D

momtohanna
08-22-2009, 11:31 AM
do you use these recordings for spinning inside or do you take them outside with you as well?

christine
07-18-2010, 05:06 PM
I also have spend a bit of time trying to find some good cycle/spin indoor workouts with music and instruction. I ended up quite frustrated.

I have used an excellent one which I would love to share with you. It is available in itunes under a podcast called motion traxx. The workout is called "get cyc'd" and its by Gregg Cook (episode 32). It is free. Or you can alternatively visit motiontraxx.com and download it from the website, you will find it under archived podcasts.

Let me know what you think if you try it. They are also looking at bringing out more of these cycling workouts.

Catrin
07-19-2010, 02:31 AM
I also have spend a bit of time trying to find some good cycle/spin indoor workouts with music and instruction. I ended up quite frustrated.

I have used an excellent one which I would love to share with you. It is available in itunes under a podcast called motion traxx. The workout is called "get cyc'd" and its by Gregg Cook (episode 32). It is free. Or you can alternatively visit motiontraxx.com and download it from the website, you will find it under archived podcasts.

Let me know what you think if you try it. They are also looking at bringing out more of these cycling workouts.

Thanks for the tip Christine and welcome to TE. Just out of idle curiosity, are you affiliated with this podcast? Free is good!

christine
07-30-2010, 09:06 PM
Thanks Catrin for the welcome. No I am not affiliated with Motion Traxx at all. Just use the podcasts for my own use.

Rakekay
11-23-2010, 12:52 PM
There are some spinning workouts for iPod you can download here. I've done two of them so far and enjoyed them. Didn't love them as much as my favorite spinning instructor (who I wish would make some of her own), but liked it quite a bit. If memory serves, they were free.
http://www.trihardist.com/p/cycling-workouts.html

I also downloaded an app called Indoor Cycle from iAmplify, which a few others have mentioned as well. The instructor is Tracy Mallerd, who you may or may not have heard of. She's a little perky for me and there are only about four workouts on it (I think I paid $4.99 or something), but it's pretty good too.

As others have mentioned, there's a gold mine out there for someone who starts recording a bunch of spin workouts for iPod.

Kerry1976
11-27-2010, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the tips on Trihardist.com workouts. I just did my first one tonight (#5-Cadence) and really enjoyed it. Definitely going to do more of those for sure! :)

Dogmama
11-29-2010, 02:21 PM
That way you can put in what you want, the songs you like, the length you want, etc. It's really fun! I just put this set together for my spin class & I think it might be my most favorite set. Listed first is the song, second is what you do during it & last is the time in minutes:seconds. It's a little cobby since I just did a cut/paste.

Sirius / Warm up 1:55
Let's Get It Started /practice 3 positions 3:31
Let's Get Loud /Jumps 4:03
Smokin /Seated Sprint 4:21
Sweet Dreams /Climb Resist Up 5:12
Running down a dream / Seated sprint 3:15
Miss You /Jumps 4:49
House is rockin /Seated fast Recover 2:27
Another one bites the dust //Climb resist up 3:35
I know a little /Seated fast 3:27
Livin on the Edge /Climb 6:21
Honey I'm Home /Seated slow climb fast 3:37
She's always a woman / Cool down/stretch 3:19
Clouds /Stretch 7:13

HTH

Kerry1976
12-26-2010, 09:36 PM
Love the Motion Traxx with Gregg Cook. Thanks for the recommendation!

lisacohen
01-04-2011, 09:09 AM
I keep wanting some workouts too to supplement the Spinervals that I do during the winter. I'm wanting more base-building type workouts for the next month or so and then I'll start adding more variety (intervals, hills, cadence work).

I became a certified Spinning instructor this past summer. I've often thought that I should make my own and post them for download! Maybe after an online class that I'm teaching ends this post will give me the kick in the pants that I need to start doing it!

Thanks for the links. I'm going to check some of these out (though I'm more into rock/alternative music).

marni
01-05-2011, 07:46 PM
I really like podrunner podcasts for indoor training,either elliptical or on the trainer. They have a series called couch to 5 k , 8 k, 10 k that start slow and short and increase in time and speed over a number of the podcasts. These start out with a warm up and then set intervals at a certain speed which increase in length from week to week, interspersed with short rest periods. They also have some nice fast stair steps series of increasing tempos. Their regular podcasts are usually a set time at a set pace which I find great for endurance training but these also have a warm up and cool down.

There is another podcast by the same guy called grove electric which also has some nice mixes. The best part of course is that they are free.

Miranda
01-08-2011, 05:29 PM
Well, as a Spinning Instructor I would like to say it's nice to actually have you IN the class with us, vs. alone with a cd or iPod lol:rolleyes:;):D.

But, I assume you are looking for these tools to compliment what you already have for class, or similiar in that making it to class doesn't work for you.

"Alone" to a cd/dvd has never cut it for me as an exerciser. I've always needed my group ex class at the gym. Outside we have Mother Nature to keep us entertained, and the road to get BACK home to motivate us lol... beside our group friends to ride with.

Thx to the post about MotionTraxx free on iTunes... free is always good!

marni
01-08-2011, 06:13 PM
I would willingly take a spin class if any of the instructors seemed to know what they were doing. Unfortunately the only ones available to me at the local gym are all lead by a guy that seems to think and hour of standing at the fastest cadence and highest resistance possible to music which gives everyone headaches in spite of ear plugs is the only way to train efficiently. The local bike shop spin class is either to slow and simple for me ( just ride for 20 minutes at a gentle pace and then increase the resistance a bit and so on) or too fast and hard with 40 minutes of up one minute, down one minute at high cadence and high resistance etc. with five minutes of warm up and five minutes of cool down and one one minute sprint.

I am an endurance rider- I rarely if ever stand unless I am desperate but climb like a demon, and can go for hours and hours at my fast cruising pace. I much prefer pushing myself tempo or resistance wise on a trainer, which has the added advantage of me not having to get in the car and drive to the gym, and I can squeeze in a half hour here and there between ther things with not much hassle at all.

I know that there are some excellent spin trainers, who are actually also riders, out there who know what they are doing and do wonderful classes. They just aren't near me so in the meantime, I and my Ipod can be found in the garage. If you can find a spin class that you like and an instructor who knows what they are doing, cherish and support them before they go away.

April
02-12-2011, 08:51 PM
I have been trying to save some time by riding indoors and wasn't sure if I wanted a DVD or audio for my iPod. I found this website http://www.highintervalworkouts.com/ They have 4 different types of spinning workouts each 60 min long. I have downloaded their ultimate package which included all four workouts, speed, power, endurance, and recovery to my iPod. I love them all. I can do the workouts at the gym or home. :) It complements my training for the Wildflower triathlon upcoming in a few months.