PDA

View Full Version : What do I do with this gift?

Bluetree
11-22-2006, 08:39 AM
A funny thing happen last night...

I had dinner with an old friend whom I hadn't seen in years. Back in the day, we used to hang out at the racetrack cafeteria digging in our pockets for coffee change. Now he's a trainer for one of the largest racing operations in the world and has in his stable a colt which is considered one of the world's fastest. Before my friend left New York to come to L.A., he emailed me and asked me to dinner. I agreed and jokingly asked him to bring me a souvenir of the Superhorse. I wanted a photograph or something.

We met at this swanky place by the beach, on the tab of the Arab sheikh who was his employer. There he presented me with a giant plastic freezer bag... filled with HAIR ! ! !

He had the colt's tail trimmed before he left and brought it to me. I can't imagine what the waiters/waitresses were thinking as I sat there with a huge mass of long, black hair. Or what the security people at the airport thought when they saw it.

It's now sitting on my desk, balled up and patiently waiting to be taken care of. So.. what does one do with such a gift? Clone it? :confused:

lph
11-22-2006, 08:48 AM
Get extensions made, of course. :D

I used to ride race-horses. What an unusual gift!

Haudlady
11-22-2006, 08:57 AM
Well..... you could blend it with wool fiber, spin it into yarn, then have some clever person knit you a top.

It would be a...
Hairshirt! :D

(Seriously, though - let us know what you do decide to do with it. I have mane and tail hair from my ASB gelding and my black pony who died. :( I am saving it to make something wonderful to remember them by... I just can't figure out what to make!:o )

mimitabby
11-22-2006, 09:00 AM
horsehair can be woven, it' s quite beautiful. It sounds like it's not long enough to re-hair a violin bow with if he just chopped it off.
http://www.shopoklahoma.com/horsehairbridle102_0139.jpg
It can be used as fertilizer in your garden!
(what color is it?)

BleeckerSt_Girl
11-22-2006, 09:59 AM
It can be used as fertilizer in your garden!

No, don't do that! If this horse winds up becoming famous- you can sell that hair on Ebay for a lot of dough!

Tri Girl
11-22-2006, 11:20 AM
Does Locks of Love take horse hair? Just kidding.
Seriously, that's an interesting gift (and hard to decide what to do with it). I have no ideas, but just thought it was funny. I was imagining a scarf made of horse-hair- would probably be very warm...

East Hill
11-22-2006, 12:05 PM
There are currently 14 bids on e-bay for a fully authenticated lock of Secretariat's hair. Currently going for just over $200.

Make sure you get the story in writing!

There's always sporrans...

East Hill

Dianyla
11-22-2006, 12:52 PM
It would be a...
Hairshirt! :D
Excellent! All the better to be a pilgrim with... :p

Bluetree
11-22-2006, 02:14 PM
Uh oh.... I think it's starting to STARE at me.

eofelis
11-22-2006, 03:31 PM
Cool gift!

Just a guess....a Storm Cat colt?

Quillfred
11-22-2006, 04:01 PM
I remember hearing the Native Americans used to make horse hair belts and baskets. Here is a nice example:

Bluetree
11-26-2006, 05:35 AM
Cool gift!
Just a guess....a Storm Cat colt?

Grandson, actually. He just won easily in New York and equaled the mile track record that has stood for 17 years. He is scary good.

I remember hearing the Native Americans used to make horse hair belts and baskets. Here is a nice example:

Mimi, Quill.. those weaves are beautiful, but I don't think I have enough hair or $$$ for those.

I have mane and tail hair from my ASB gelding and my black pony who died. :( I am saving it to make something wonderful to remember them by... I just can't figure out what to make!:o

Haud, I did finally find something to do with it. I found a lady whose makes these "memory tassles." I e-mailed her about pricing and if it is reasonable, I may start collecting hair from famous horses on a regular basis!
;)
http://img117.imageshack.us/my.php?image=83131ow.jpg