PDA

View Full Version : Look A5.1 pedals

roadiechick
04-28-2004, 07:51 PM
Hi

Just got a new pair of Look A5.1 pedals (upgraded from a very old pair of Looks). I am finding it very hard to get out of them. Any one else with a similar problem??? Anyone with any suggestions on the fix or are my legs just not strong enough???

RoadieChick

SadieKate
04-29-2004, 12:11 PM
Have you adjusted the tension spring?

roadiechick
04-29-2004, 04:57 PM
Yes, I have it on the lowest number for tension. Also on the back of the pedal I have it on the number 9 (other options are 0, 3, 6), not really sure what it should be. :confused:

SadieKate
04-30-2004, 06:51 AM
Hmm. I don't have these pedals but have used numerous Look pedals over the years without problems. Can you call your LBS or Look? Is the tension problem the same on both pedals?

roadiechick
05-05-2004, 07:01 PM
The tension problem is the same on both pedals. I am finding that now that I have used them for a few weeks, they are becoming a little easier to use, but still far from perfect. Maybe you have to 'wear them in'???? :confused:

hibiscus09
05-23-2004, 12:33 PM
How tall are you? I am 5'3.5" and absolutely could not use the Look pedals. I could not get out of them. After falling about 7 times, I started researching and found that many shorter women with a shoe size of 7 or less have trouble with the leverage that is required to release from those pedals. Anyway, I took them back to the bike shop and they switched them out for me to Speedplays. I have no problem getting out of those.

caligurl
07-02-2004, 07:56 AM
i so wish i had done more reading before bike shopping.. when will i ever learn not to impulse shop!?!

i have look pedals.. not sure which ones... i left it up to hubby and the bike shop guy.. and suggested looks cuz of the extra area for my foot.. made sense... however i DO have trouble getting out of them... especially at the end of my ride.. (not that i'm going that far yet!)

i'm 5'2" but i do have a size 8 shoe....

when you say you went back to the lbs and switched them.. do they exchange them? or do you just have to buy another pedal? my cleats.. being plastic.. are already chewed up a bit! (and i've only been for 4 rides!)

hibiscus09
07-02-2004, 08:06 AM
Cali, I just went in and told them I absolutely could not get out of the pedals and they offered to switch them out to other pedals. They just did an even exchange. I believe the Looks cost a little more -- I can't remember. You should just tell them you're having trouble with them and want to try something different and see if they will work it out for you. Most bike shops sell used parts, so they should be able to help you out.

I also bought the Looks because I thought they looked like a more secure platform. I've had no problem with the lollipop Speedplay pedals, however, and it's certainly a much less stressful ride when I feel like I can get out of the pedals.