PDA

View Full Version : Touching up Paint Job

Trekhawk
11-20-2006, 04:10 PM
Well I went for a lovely mountain bike ride today on a new trail and all was going well until in my usual form I crashed. I came away reasonably unscathed (just little cuts, bruises etc) but not so for my trusty mountain bike. She has scratches on her right back to the metal (yep I fell into a bunch of rocks).

Now I know you all must fall off sometimes so what do you use to touch up the paint job? I have used nail polish on my road bikes when I have leaned them against something and scratched the paint a little but my moutain bike is orange so Im not sure I will find this colour in nail polish. Do you use model paint??

Help I love my flying pumpkin and at the moment she is not happy.:(

mimitabby
11-20-2006, 04:12 PM
Well I went for a lovely mountain bike ride today on a new trail and all was going well until in my usual form I crashed. I came away reasonably unscathed (just little cuts, bruises etc) but not so for my trusty mountain bike. She has scratches on her right back to the metal (yep I fell into a bunch of rocks).

Now I know you all must fall off sometimes so what do you use to touch up the paint job? I have used nail polish on my road bikes when I have leaned them against something and scratched the paint a little but my moutain bike is orange so Im not sure I will find this colour in nail polish. Do you use model paint??

Help I love my flying pumpkin and at the moment she is not happy.:(

trust me there is orange fingernail polish! They have all sorts of colors, even yellow, navy blue and green! (celeste)

Trekhawk
11-20-2006, 04:19 PM
trust me there is orange fingernail polish! They have all sorts of colors, even yellow, navy blue and green! (celeste)

LOL - well I guess you can tell I dont paint my nails very often.:D
Thanks mimi I will go check out the nail polish range tomorrow.

SadieKate
11-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Model paint is 1st choice for matt finishes. Nail polish 2nd. Both work.

CyclChyk
11-20-2006, 04:41 PM
Oh yes there certainly is orange fingernail polish. And several different hues. You might also want to look into craft paint that you can pick up at places like Michael's or other craft stores...

bike4ever
11-20-2006, 05:10 PM
I've walked my bike into a Michaels to match model paint. I did receive some funny looks, but no one asked me to take my bike out.:p

Trekhawk
11-20-2006, 05:13 PM
Model paint is 1st choice for matt finishes. Nail polish 2nd. Both work.

Thanks SK - I did wonder about the matt finish.

Thanks everyone for the great tips. I will go out shopping tomorrow and see what is the best match.:)