PDA

View Full Version : I hate poison oak

fatbottomedgurl
11-20-2006, 03:40 PM
Got my first case ever. (Not bad for being 43 and spending a lot of time on trails hiking.) Mostly on my right leg (scratch scratch), even up under my shorts near my- ahem- right bun. A little on my tummy and the other leg. (Itch itch). I must have spread it in the shower. I always thought I was immune.:(

One more item for the camelbak: tecnu anti-poison oak wash. Sheesh.

wavedancer
11-20-2006, 03:58 PM
Yuck! Poison oak/ivy is no fun...Another product I've found helpful is Zanfel. You can use it after the rash has appeared. It helps to remove the urushiol oils and also relieves the itching. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Linda

Tri Girl
11-20-2006, 04:04 PM
Oh no! :eek:
Sorry to hear you have the itchies... not so fun.
Hope it disappears as quickly as it showed it's ugly face.
I like to soak in oatmeal baths when I get poison ivy, not because it helps, but because I can scratch and not hurt myself when I'm soaked in water.

I hope you heal soon! :)

makbike
11-20-2006, 04:55 PM
I second Wavedancers suggestion for Zanfel. It is the only OTC product I've found that would actually treat an outbreak of poison ivy (I'm highly allergic). It works quickly and offers relief within minutes of using it. Its only drawback is its price (about $40/tube). However, it is much safer than oral steroids and works wonders. I would recommend a trip to Wal-mart for a tube (they keep it in the first-aid section). Good luck.

Trek420
11-20-2006, 07:25 PM
I get poisen oak just looking at it. I've had it bad enough to need cortizone shots.

My Dad on the other hand could (and sometimes did) lie down in beds of the stuff
"Dad that's poisen oak all around you! :eek: "
"what? whatever :cool:"

fatbottomedgurl
11-21-2006, 12:10 AM
I am sittting here working on a term paper and not scratching right now. I need to go to bed!

Looks like prevention and good treatment is the way to go. Walmart here I come!

Velobambina
11-21-2006, 02:13 AM
In summer '05, I had poison ivy all over my back. Yes, my entire back. My immune system went whacky and it spread to my legs. After that happened, my dermatologist put me on steroids (cream & pills). It finally went away.

Be careful with your laundry. Whatever you wore when you encountered the poison oak should be washed ASAP and make sure you clean your hands with Technu or a good soap after handling the clothes. You might want to change your sheets, too.

fatbottomedgurl
11-21-2006, 07:26 AM
I washed my clothes, my shoes, my camelback, my bike, and my sheets!
Thanks!