PDA

View Full Version : Long Runs - 11/13 - 11/19

colby
11-19-2006, 01:03 PM
How's it going this weekend, team? :)

I did my LAST long run today! :D Schedule called for 12 miles, but I read in a couple of places to not go farther than 8-10, so I dialed it back a little. I ended up somewhere near 10 miles, or just shy of it anyway. I felt slow, but was around or better than a 10 minute pace with a low heart rate, so go figure...

So, T minus 1 week for me. This week calls for a fartlek, 4 miles, an extra day off, and a short 2 miles on Saturday.

I feel anxious. :) I'm not really worried about the distance, but more the conditions and the strategy. Do I try a pace group? The only two are 10:15 (too fast) and 10:45 (which I know I can beat for 10+ miles). Do I wear short sleeves or long sleeves? It'll probably be warmer there than it is here, so I'm thinking short sleeves, or maybe arm warmers that I can lose. My biggest problem is my shoes. I have not had time to replace them. Do I buy new ones and wear them every day? Do I tough it out on my current overdone shoes? I'm already resigned to identical shoes, and not trying anything new, it's just way too late for that. I think I will buy new shoes and still carry my old ones.

Somewhat concerned that I've lost 4 lbs in the last 3 weeks (basically, since my longest long run). I haven't really changed eating habits, but apparently I've made an efficient machine. :p Looking forward to losing weight after the marathon if that's true!!

I hope things are going well for everyone else! I was surprised nobody had checked in yet :)

Grog
11-19-2006, 01:35 PM
Hey Colby!

I'm excited about your race. I'm sure you'll shine out there!!

I was scheduled to run 16 km today (10 miles) but I was also volunteering for the 'Fall Classic' that is a half-marathon, 10K and 5K ran right across the street from me. I had many friends in it but I didn't want to enter - more race fees in a short time, this adds up! - so I volunteered my voice, authority and cheers to be a street marshall, directing runners out of traffic and getting impatient drivers to do a detour. Thankfully it was close from my place because I had to show up at 6:30 this morning, and it was a huge storm with lots of rain and wind out there!!

I had a blast anyway, wasn't so cold - volunteers get a hoodie and that added layer made me quite toasty - except for my hands that got soaked and I had forgotten to take another pair of gloves. It was about 10 C all along (above 40F) so I didn't suffer any damage, but my hands were cold for two hours after the end of my job.

I wanted to run before the football game I'm going to see in a few minutes - Canadian Football League final opposing the team from my home town and the team from my adoptive town - but I was totally wiped out, so I had a very long hot shower and a nap instead. I had a good workout just standing there, walking around and jumping to stay warm. I'll do at least 13 k tomorrow, maybe I'll get to do 16.

KSH
11-19-2006, 03:13 PM
WOW Colby... I can't believe your race is here! I remember when you were worried about signing up for it... and then you took the plunge!

It sounds like you are ready for it!

Shoes. Well, I would buy the new ones and try to break them in some. If they are identical, I can't imagine why you would have issues with new ones. When I went from my old to new shoes (same model), I didn't have any issues.... and in fact the new ones felt even better on. Then again, I wasn't running a marthon!

What to wear. For me, when in doubt, I wear long sleeves and I make sure it's something I can tie around my waist. You mentioned arm warmers, but where will you put them if it gets too hot?

I wish you the best of luck... you are going to do great! :)

Oh, here is my long run report: On 11-16-06 I ran 3.60 miles in 36 minutes! It's my longest run in many months! Watch out... I might be doing IMAZ come 2008 at this pace! :p

yellow
11-19-2006, 04:06 PM
Well, my running buddy is out of town so I thought I'd take this opportunity to run slow! :p Or at what used to be my "normal" pace, I should say.

I did a trail run today of about 8.3 miles. It was like a mud bog in places, and I did a right side hip plant once (after several seconds of entertaining attempts to stay upright). A little cut on my hand but mostly just embarrasment at being all muddy! My pace was much slower than normal, probably because I had to walk through several treacherous places and I did walk one hill (my excuse: needed to eat a Clif Blok, and that's easier to do walking through the mud than running through the mud). The elevation difference from my house to the highest point is about 1300', and that doesn't count all the ups and downs. I actually passed a mtn biker in one of the canyons. I am tired!

I put in for the lottery for the Canyonlands Half Mary (http://www.moabhalfmarathon.org/halfm/halfm.html) on March 17. If I don't get in, I have no idea what half mary I'll train for. I need to train for something, though, otherwise I am in danger of becoming a couch potato.

Can't wait to hear Colby's report next week!

seychelle
11-19-2006, 04:47 PM
I love reading everyone's weekly training ! Yeah, I'm living vicariously through you guys :D

I walked 3 days, 2 miles each day this week at 15 mm pace. Far from running ! I tried 1 minute running intervals x 3 one day ... that was not a good idea. At least I tried it the day before PT, so I had ionto the following day which made it feel better. I go to the ankle/foot ortho surgeon on Tuesday, so we'll see what he says. I'm wondering if I may not have tarsal tunnel synrome (and not post tib tendinitis) plus PF.

Colby, what 1/2 are you running ? Good luck ! I would recommend you layer your clothes and take items you can throw away. That way you can peel them off depending on the weather and it will not matter if you leave them by the way side.

How many miles do your shoes have ? if you chose to get new shoes, definitely get them now. You shouldn't have to "break in" running shoes, but some times they do feel different (may rub in a spot the previous never did) so better to figure it out before the race.

KSH - Congrats on your run !

Grog - What are you training for ? Good luck on your run tomorrow !

yellow - I love trail runs ! and you have a legit excuse to go slower ;)

btchance
11-19-2006, 04:57 PM
Good luck Colby!! I know you'll do great, and once you get to the race you'll probably be glad that you cut back the mileage. Don't have any good recommendations about the shoes. I needed a new pair going into the 1/2 mary, but waited until afterwards to get them. My feet definately hurt, but they were wha my feet were used to.

As far as what to wear, I've done a duathlon with armwarmers - just pushed them down when it got too warm. I did my 1/2 mary in a long sleeved shirt that I could tie around my waist if it got too warm. Both work equally well in my opinion.

Grog - good for you going out and volunteering - we all appreciate each and everyone of you.

KSH - good job with the run. You'll slowly get longer runs in and faster ones too! Just don't push it too much and get hurt again.

Yellow - I can't imagine running in mud like that. Great job!

Seychelle - good luck at the surgeon's office. Hopefully you'll get an answer to the problems and you'll be out there with us.

As for me, my longest run was just over 3miles, had a couple of hills in it, though. I'm just aiming to not lose any of the fitness I gained from this. I was pleasantly surprised when I took 2 minutes off of my fastest time for running a 2.5 mile loop with a decent hill. Yippee! 10min mile down to 9.2min mile. Without speed work, just LSD. Yes ladies, distance running really does help speed :D

seychelle
11-19-2006, 05:09 PM
Yes ladies, distance running really does help speed :D

Hard to believe, but yes it does !

Grog
11-19-2006, 07:59 PM
Grog - What are you training for ? Good luck on your run tomorrow !

Vancouver Half-Marathon (my first). (oh, and a sprint triathlon in March, but that shouldn't be an issue, for the running part at least)

I hope your feet/ankle/legs feel better soon. How annoying!

Bikingmomof3
11-19-2006, 08:03 PM
Colby,
I am so excited for you. I know you will do so well. :)

colby
11-19-2006, 08:47 PM
I had a blast anyway, wasn't so cold - volunteers get a hoodie and that added layer made me quite toasty - except for my hands that got soaked and I had forgotten to take another pair of gloves. It was about 10 C all along (above 40F) so I didn't suffer any damage, but my hands were cold for two hours after the end of my job.

Sounds fun!! Even if you couldn't run, you were running in spirit ;) You'll catch up, you've got time.

WOW Colby... I can't believe your race is here! I remember when you were worried about signing up for it... and then you took the plunge!

It sounds like you are ready for it!

What to wear. For me, when in doubt, I wear long sleeves and I make sure it's something I can tie around my waist. You mentioned arm warmers, but where will you put them if it gets too hot?

I wish you the best of luck... you are going to do great! :)

I hope so... too late to turn back now!! ;)

I would store arm warmers on my arms (just push them down?) or in my Camelbak waistpack if they can compress down enough. I'm a little concerned about doing something I haven't done before, so maybe I'll consider it as a contingency plan. I'm hoping it'll be warm enough that I don't have to debate it. My brain is going through all of the "what-ifs" at this point.

Oh, here is my long run report: On 11-16-06 I ran 3.60 miles in 36 minutes! It's my longest run in many months! Watch out... I might be doing IMAZ come 2008 at this pace! :p

Awesome!! That's HUGE! :D You'll be kicking butt in no time. IMAZ better watch out for you ;)

I did a trail run today of about 8.3 miles. It was like a mud bog in places, and I did a right side hip plant once (after several seconds of entertaining attempts to stay upright).

Yellow, your mud story made me laugh. It sounds so much more fun than boring road running :)

I walked 3 days, 2 miles each day this week at 15 mm pace. Far from running ! I tried 1 minute running intervals x 3 one day ... that was not a good idea. At least I tried it the day before PT, so I had ionto the following day which made it feel better. I go to the ankle/foot ortho surgeon on Tuesday, so we'll see what he says. I'm wondering if I may not have tarsal tunnel synrome (and not post tib tendinitis) plus PF.

Well, at leat you're out there, as tough as it is. :( Hopefully you get some input from the ortho, even just knowing WHAT it is can mean so much when you've been going through PT for so long.

Colby, what 1/2 are you running ? Good luck ! I would recommend you layer your clothes and take items you can throw away. That way you can peel them off depending on the weather and it will not matter if you leave them by the way side.

How many miles do your shoes have ? if you chose to get new shoes, definitely get them now. You shouldn't have to "break in" running shoes, but some times they do feel different (may rub in a spot the previous never did) so better to figure it out before the race.

I am running a full marathon in Seattle next Sunday (website (http://www.seattlemarathon.org)). I don't have a lot of throw-away clothes, though I did think of that earlier. I haven't been running long enough to have stuff that I can toss that is either WAY too warm (sweatshirts and such) or a little too nice. If I had a way to communicate with my husband I might drop stuff off with him, but I have no way of knowing where I'll be able to meet him (he's, shall we say, lazy? ;)). I'm thinking the temps will be close to a 1/2 I did last month, and I did fine in a tshirt then.

My shoes have more miles than I'd like to admit. ;) I think I calculated it recently at north of 500-600 miles. My only concern is breaking them in with less than a week to go (I should have bought them two weeks ago but my work schedule is time-prohibitive), but I didn't really have a huge break-in time with the ones I have now anyway. I think I will buy them, wear them every day, and decide when it gets closer. I might look funny in bright white running shoes at work, but my feet will probably thank me for it come Sunday!

Thanks everyone for the good luck and well wishes. I will store them in my pocket for Mile 20 when I really need them ;)

seychelle
11-20-2006, 03:33 AM
I am running a full marathon in Seattle next Sunday (website (http://www.seattlemarathon.org)). I don't have a lot of throw-away clothes, though I did think of that earlier. I haven't been running long enough to have stuff that I can toss that is either WAY too warm (sweatshirts and such) or a little too nice. If I had a way to communicate with my husband I might drop stuff off with him, but I have no way of knowing where I'll be able to meet him (he's, shall we say, lazy? ;)). I'm thinking the temps will be close to a 1/2 I did last month, and I did fine in a tshirt then.

My shoes have more miles than I'd like to admit. ;) I think I calculated it recently at north of 500-600 miles. My only concern is breaking them in with less than a week to go (I should have bought them two weeks ago but my work schedule is time-prohibitive), but I didn't really have a huge break-in time with the ones I have now anyway. I think I will buy them, wear them every day, and decide when it gets closer. I might look funny in bright white running shoes at work, but my feet will probably thank me for it come Sunday!

Thanks everyone for the good luck and well wishes. I will store them in my pocket for Mile 20 when I really need them ;)

Oh, I thought you were doing a 1/2 since you said the longest run was 10 miles (scheduled for 12) and it was your last long run (I assumed it was taper after that). Good luck on the full !

500-600 miles ! aren't your feet killing you ? I know what you mean about the bright white running shoes :) I've been wearing mine to work and I feel like the biggest dork ... but my feet like them ! :D

kaybee
11-20-2006, 05:07 AM
Hey everyone! Good luck with the marathon, Colby! You'll do great. I'd definitely get new shoes this week. Since you're getting the same model you're wearing now, you shouldn't have any problems with them, especially if you wear them some before the big day. No advice concerning what to wear, since I don't know what the weather is like in Seattle this time of year. I figure I'll take a whole suitcase full of running clothes to Memphis so I'll have whatever I need! ;)

KSH -- congrats on the run. No pain?

Grog -- when is the Vancouver Half?

And BT is right -- long runs do make you faster on the shorter runs (says she who hates speedwork). You just get stronger and are able to go faster.

We did our last long run before our half this Saturday. We had planned to run 2 hours and 15 minutes and see how far we got. We ran 2:13:14 and ran 13.1 miles. A friend that runs slower than we do ran the first five miles with us and slowed us down, so we think (barring any unforeseen circumstances) our time for the half should be around 2:10. We shall see.

Stay healthy everyone!

KB

Deborajen
11-20-2006, 06:10 AM
Hey Colby - Sounds like you're ready. I can relate to your uncertainties about conditions and strategy. Arm warmers or any other layers are a good way to go. You can always take them off and stuff them into a pocket or tie them around your waist when you don't need them any more. I have a bolero which works great. As far as the shoes, I'd be hesitant to replace them right before an event unless the old ones are giving you real trouble. With the strategy, I had no clue how to pace myself for my HM. I thought it was really wierd going out and running an event three miles longer than I'd ever gone in my life. The best advice I was given was to not overdo it at the beginning. It works - just let yourself warm up and don't let everyone else's pace get to you. I don't know about pace groups but personally I just like to go at a rate that feels good for my own body that I can sustain.

Good luck and enjoy the run - sounds like you'll do great!

Kaybee - Great pace on the training run! You should have a good, strong run on Saturday. Good luck to you, too!

Deb

tattiefritter
11-20-2006, 06:10 AM
No long runs (well nothing over 6 miles) this week as my first 10K is this weekend and I am effectively in a taper. Did a 6 miles with intervals today, the wind was really bad again at least 30mph gusts, made the first couple of intervals really difficult. Chuffed I got out there and my ankle didn't seem to hurt today - I rested it on Friday as it was quite painful.

Only one more short easy run til the race, getting nervous for some reason. Will decide whether to go for the February half mara this weekend as well.

Good luck for the full mara Colby.

Grog
11-20-2006, 09:40 AM
Grog -- when is the Vancouver Half?

May 6th, 2007.

Wanna join? :D

Bikingmomof3
11-20-2006, 10:04 AM
Grog it sounds like fun!

kaybee
11-20-2006, 10:16 AM
May 6th, 2007.

Wanna join? :D

Don't tempt me! Vancouver is on the list of places that I want to see "one of these days."

KB

colby
11-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Oh, I thought you were doing a 1/2 since you said the longest run was 10 miles (scheduled for 12) and it was your last long run (I assumed it was taper after that). Good luck on the full !

500-600 miles ! aren't your feet killing you ? I know what you mean about the bright white running shoes :) I've been wearing mine to work and I feel like the biggest dork ... but my feet like them ! :D

Oh, sorry, I see what happened there. I meant my long run this week was 10 miles, and it's my last long run before the marathon, which is my next (or truly last) long run. :)

My feet aren't killing me, but my right knee is, and shoes might be the reason. So... I think I'm going to buy them and just wear them around to try to break them in. I was playing taps in my head for my old shoes yesterday, but the good news is I'll be able to bring them to work and wear them when I bike instead of my old narrow shoes that I can't tie for fear my feet will explode ;)

colby
11-20-2006, 10:32 AM
Don't tempt me! Vancouver is on the list of places that I want to see "one of these days."

Vancouver's beautiful. I've made many excuses to go there in the past, but it's a lot closer for me. Great food, great sights, beautiful. Last time I was there I rollerbladed through Stanley Park, it was before I had started running. Ahh... maybe I see a new excuse brewing! :p

colby
11-20-2006, 10:38 AM
We did our last long run before our half this Saturday. We had planned to run 2 hours and 15 minutes and see how far we got. We ran 2:13:14 and ran 13.1 miles. A friend that runs slower than we do ran the first five miles with us and slowed us down, so we think (barring any unforeseen circumstances) our time for the half should be around 2:10. We shall see.

Awesome! You'll kick that half marathon's butt for sure! Good luck!! :D

I know how you feel about the suitcase of clothes... that's just about exactly how I feel right now, too. I'll laugh if I get searched at the airport :)

colby
11-20-2006, 10:44 AM
No long runs (well nothing over 6 miles) this week as my first 10K is this weekend and I am effectively in a taper. Did a 6 miles with intervals today, the wind was really bad again at least 30mph gusts, made the first couple of intervals really difficult. Chuffed I got out there and my ankle didn't seem to hurt today - I rested it on Friday as it was quite painful.

Only one more short easy run til the race, getting nervous for some reason. Will decide whether to go for the February half mara this weekend as well.

I hate the wind. It's been really windy here lately and it's taken a lot out of me. Even if I'm not actually going slower, it makes me "feel" slower and like I have to work a lot harder. Plus, the temperature has dropped, so those two things together have my body a little confused. I'm going to have to switch to my compression suit pretty soon, which acts as a good base layer and provides wind protection for those squishy parts I have around my belly that are prone to getting cooold ;)

Good luck on your 10k! Maybe you can practice some mental techniques this week on your off days to help you calm those nerves. One strategy is to picture yourself at every part of the race, so when you get there on race day you aren't as nervous or surprised, and if something happens you've already gone through it once in your mind. Another is to focus on flexing and relaxing each muscle from the top down, which gets your mind off things pretty well. You can also review all of the race materials just to convince yourself you do in fact have everything in order. Being nervous is definitely normal (trust me... I'm right there with you) but you want to make sure come this weekend that you're ready. You can do it! :)

mcoleman
11-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Good luck this weekend, Colby. I definately would replace the shoes. As long as they are OK on your final runs this week, you will be fine.
DH and I did our last 20 miler this weekend and it was not bad-I guess I should say it was as good as they get! He really pushed the pace on the last 8 miles, so I think we averaged 8.45 or a little better. I just hope we can do that come race day. I'm just excited to be starting the taper-only 15 miles to run this Saturday!!

colby
11-20-2006, 02:42 PM
DH and I did our last 20 miler this weekend and it was not bad-I guess I should say it was as good as they get! He really pushed the pace on the last 8 miles, so I think we averaged 8.45 or a little better. I just hope we can do that come race day. I'm just excited to be starting the taper-only 15 miles to run this Saturday!!

Wow, 8:45! :D < dreams of 8 of 20 miles at 8:45 > Maybe next year ;)

You're over the hump, it's all downhill from there. :) Great idea to push at the end, that'll really help you come race day. On my last long run I pushed some hill repeats at the end and while it felt impossible, the marathon I'm doing has hills at the end... so at least my last long run was similar to the marathon and my body won't be in shock!

Grog
11-20-2006, 07:23 PM
I'm waiting for you gals in Vancouver!

It doesn't have to be the Vancouver (half-)Marathon. There's the Divas on the Run (mid-March, nice 8K on the beaches, women only), the Sun Run (10K in April with 50 000 people!!! - nonsense), and tons of other great races with good scenery!!

And cycling is good too.