PDA

View Full Version : Clipless---help!

trekchic
04-27-2004, 08:15 PM
OBVIOUSLY, I am doing something wrong! I am either holding my feet wrong or unclipping at the wrong angle, I don't know. It is still difficult and takes a lot of effort and concentration to clip in and out of my new pedals. I have the Shimano PD R600 (I think that is right...the new ones with the black/yellow cleat and are walkable). I have the bike on the trainer, mostly because I don't have time to ride out on the road right now. But, also because I am afraid. Please explain the process of clipping in and out correctly.........send a link to a site if necessary! I want to get out of the house again!
:p

snapdragen
04-27-2004, 08:26 PM
Not familiar with the pedals, so I'll leave that to someone else. But, there should be a tension adjustment on them, look on the back, it might look like a little screw with a + / -. Make the tension as light as possible, and practice, practice, practice.:)

trekchic
04-28-2004, 05:52 AM
After purchasing the pedals and having "my lbs guy" put them on the bike, he told me the same thing. So, I adjusted them as loose as I could and was still having problems. I took the bike and my shoes back into the shop and had him adjust the tension. He says they're adjusted correctly.

I must be doing something wrong. Is there a right way and wrong way to clip in and out? Like pedal stroke and other aspects that require "form", there must be a right way and wrong way to clip in and out.

AND........THESE ARE LOOK STYLE PEDALS BTW! forgot to mention that.

Cdalekat
04-28-2004, 06:27 AM
I think my pedals are the Shimanos M959... I could be wrong about the exact number.
Anyway, are you twisting your heel out to get unclipped? For me it doesn't matter which direction I twist in - in or out - but it did take some practice to have the right strength/feel for it.

To get clipped, I push in to position the cleat and then I add a slight twist (I kick my heel out and then twist it in) while pushing down.

Veronica
04-28-2004, 06:41 AM
Are you unclipping at the bottom of your stroke? Are you swinging your heel out, not lifting it up? Try going back to your LBS and having them watch you ride so you can get feedback on what exactly it is you're doing. Or have a cycling friend watch.

You know - there's nothing wrong with using platform pedals. I've ridden up Diablo with platform pedals and tennies and not gone any faster than when I'm clipped in. So don't feel like you have to have the "right" shoes in order to be a cyclist. A cyclist is anyone who rides a bike - wearing spandex and funny shoes is NOT required. :D

This is last year heading toward the summit - 18% grade. Note the shoes.

V.

http://www.tandemhearts.com/Mount-Diablo/0002.jpg

kelrunran
04-29-2004, 10:34 AM
I had a big learning curve when it came to trying to clip out - so with lots of practice I am able to do so quite easily (uh oh...did I just jinx myself :)). I also twist my foot in instead of out as Cdalekat mentioned.

So like everybody else has said try different ways - it will come though! Kelly

luna*Kentucky
05-01-2004, 01:41 PM
Hello girls,

I'm not sure about those particular pedals b/c I use "time pedals" but before I used the time pedals, i had some shimanos on my road and mtn bike. I just remember my hubby adjusting the shimanos so it was easier to clip in and out of my bike. Maybe there can be adjustments made so it's not as troublesome.

Hmmm...

not a bike genius

Kate*