PDA

View Full Version : which helmet?

caligurl
11-18-2006, 07:53 AM
hey ladies!

what helmet do you wear when you are mountain biking? currently i wear either of my two road bike helmets.... but i've been looking at a "mtb specific" helmet with the little visor.... i've been looking at the giro xen (it seems kind of big).... the specialized decibel (which is really a duo purpose one... but the visor looks good on it!).... the bell sweep XC or bell slant (but i've not tried those on... just like the look of them from reseaching on the web)

anyways..... what do you all wear?

SadieKate
11-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Eh, they're all becoming interchangeable. There used to be more difference in the protection at the back of the head but a lot of models come in both and road and mtb with a removable visor being the differentiator.

Decide whether you want a visor and how many vents. I hear a lot of complaints about heat and weight with the more limited vents. I personally like a visor when I'm mountainbiking but don't when I ride on the road (at least in the hills).

I just bought a Bell Sweep R and really like it. The shape is ever so much better for my head (a bit rounder than the Giros I've been wearing) and I like the dial thingy for adjustments. My length of my hair can make a big difference in the fit and then add variable layers for the winter - it's a lot easier with the dial than the Roc-loc to loosen and snug each time.

SadieKate
11-18-2006, 10:54 AM
One last thing, some helmets can look pretty weird on your head even though the fit is good. I tried on a Specialized helmet that fit perfectly but looked like a mushroom. It looked huge. Since the Bell looked better and fit just as well, I let vanity make the decision.

Pebble
11-18-2006, 11:50 AM
I thought about the Giro Xen myself but it was pretty expensive and I was right in the middle of sizes. In the ned I got a MET Crackerjack - which I think may even be a youths type helmet (or just for smaller heads) anyway had more vents and a more comfortable fit than the equivalent Giro. Looks pretty good too. I tried on a wide range of helmets from the very expensive to the very cheap.

I'd say try on all the ones you like if you can, what looks the best and what fits the best can really be two different things and turn out completely different to what you thought was ideal through online research.

emily_in_nc
11-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Gals here recommended the Giro Havoc when I crashed and needed to replace a road Giro. I got one and loved it (really like the visor, even for road riding, as it turns out - helps keep the sun outta my light-sensitive eyes). I just crashed yet again and bashed the side in - arrggh! I only got wear it about 3-4 times! So, I've just ordered two more (cheaper shipping) off eBay. They are 2005 models but just fine, brand new, and half the price of 2007 models. Now I'll never be without a backup! Anyway, you might want to try the Havoc on for size. REI carries them as well as LBS's.

Emily

madisongrrl
11-18-2006, 10:02 PM
I have a Bell XC sweep and it's the best helmet I own. Bell helmets fit my head the best and the don't look too bad either.

spokewench
11-19-2006, 05:49 AM
I've always worn the same helmet for mountain biking and road riding. If they come with visors, I take them off cause I don't like visors. It's a personal choice

I have had Giro Pneumos in the last couple of years - very nice

and I have a Specialized Decibel - very nice aswell

They both have lots of vents and have a good way to tighten the helmet at the back so you can adjust it each and every time you wear it easily. This is very important

ClockworkOrange
11-20-2006, 01:19 PM
YAY..............I can join in on this, as I wore my helmet for the first time yesterday.

Never ever worn or even tried one on before, so I can't offer much info BUT my helmet is great. :D

It's a Specialized Aurora, so comfy and yes, it has a little peak that can be removed.

Thought it would take a while to get use to but I was wrong.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Missbe/spec_hlmt_aurora_blue_black_06_f.jpg Ashame the little black peak is not on this pic.

Sally