PDA

View Full Version : Waxing or Shaving? What to do? Bikini rash.. HELP!

Peacock
04-27-2004, 05:17 PM
My skin is very irritated in my bikini area. I have a great seat, padded shorts and am using sports lubricant but am still having a problem. I am open to any suggestions. I have had to stop riding for a few days because it is so painful. I shave my bikini area but should I wax instead?

Please help I miss my bike and the road.:(

Veronica
04-27-2004, 05:42 PM
Is the irritation the little red bumps and ingrown hairs or is it something else?

I shave the bikini area quite frequently. Using an exfoliant seems to help keep away the ingrown hairs and red bumps. But you have to be gentle. I use an Apricot facial scrub. Also putting your shaving cream on and letting it sit for a little bit also seems to help. I'm too chicken to wax. :p

V.

Peacock
04-27-2004, 06:07 PM
It's both. I will give your suggestions a try.

Thanks for responding.:)

SnowMouse
04-28-2004, 02:57 AM
:eek: Oh my Gooooossssshhh! Shaving in the bikini area is the last place you should shave. I am so anti-shaving, but bikini line shaving just makes me shutter to the bone. Waxing isn't automatically going to stop the uncomfortable phase of regrowth, but at least it happens every 3 or so weeks, not every 3 days.

It is so hard waxing the first couple of times, more so if the area has a history of being shaved, but it does get easier, the hair thins and is easier to remove. Get it done proffesionally too!

And since I don't personally know anyone here....my last hint is...brazillian waxing is the way to go for ultimate comfort! :eek:

Gee I can't spell to good tonight, hiccup! :D

Cdalekat
04-28-2004, 06:34 AM
I found that shaving with the hairs (and not against them!!) solved any rash problem.

icepanthar22
04-29-2004, 04:06 PM
Brazilian wax is definitely the way to go on that one!!!!

wavedancer
04-29-2004, 05:43 PM
What's Brazilian wax???

Veronica
04-29-2004, 06:16 PM
From what I've read, it's when they wax everything - front and back. It's called a Brazilian because of the thong bikinis popular in Brazil.

V.

Peacock
04-30-2004, 07:43 AM
I have actually waxed in the past and went back to shaving. I am not quiet sure I have the guts to do a Brazilian but maybe a racing stripe instead. Do you usually wait at least a day after waxing before riding again so to not aggrivate the pores?

snapdragen
04-30-2004, 08:17 PM
I've heard women describe a brazilian wax as going all the way up to the ovaries! :D

wavedancer
05-01-2004, 05:06 AM
So I tried something called Surgiwax just on then edge of the bikini line and what a disaster! It very quickly turned into this sticky hard mess that stuck to my hands, the skin I put it on and everything within 3 feet. I did remove a few hairs also, but I spent about an hour trying to pick off the residual chunks of hardened wax. Omigod if I had tried a Brazilian, I would have ended up in the ER! Shaving sounds safer.

luna*Kentucky
05-01-2004, 01:55 PM
Brazilian...sounds a little scary....

OUCH!

I haven't tried waxing down there, but the whole shaving thing is just plain irritating. First few days your fine and after that BAM , irritation.

I'm still battling....

Veronica
05-01-2004, 03:27 PM
That's why I shave just about every day. Seems to help keep all that stuff away.

V.

icepanthar22
05-01-2004, 04:26 PM
Im too lazy to shave every day. I just prefer to do it once every 2 months or so...

icepanthar22
05-01-2004, 04:27 PM
...get a wax....

i read that post, and realised that is NOT what i meant to say...

a wax last longer, so i prefer one big annpyance every 2 months, rather than daily annoyance...

Veronica
05-01-2004, 04:28 PM
In theory I should be going to the pool a couple of times a week before work, so that's why I shave so often. I just haven't been motivated to go.

V.

RdDezert
05-01-2004, 05:06 PM
I shave (um, no waxing!!) and usually do the days I'm not riding which helps with irritation. I read somewhere & have used myself successfully, to blot hydrogen peroxide over shaved area and let dry. Especially good when shaving legs & going outside immediately in heat. But do in tub before getting out so's to not have little 'spots' of white areas on throw rugs, carpet, etc.

kelrunran
05-03-2004, 10:41 AM
Sorry if I am totally missing something but are you guys shaving for riding? I did see Veronica shaves for swimming......just wondering?

I'm still have saddle issues so I'm willing to try anything (almost :)). Kelly

ragbrai40
05-03-2004, 11:35 AM
I shave 3-5 x's week depending on bathing suit season, and never have had any issues. Some bumps once in a while if blade is getting dull, but for the most part, nothing major.

Now, the brazilian thing.......what happens when it starts to grow back and itches "down under"! That would make for an interesting ride! ;)

Never tried the wax thing, cause don't want to wait for hairs to grow out to do the waxin!

Peacock
05-04-2004, 08:00 AM
I shave everyday. But when it comes to riding I am having a horrible time with ingrown hairs and irritation. I was wondering if waxing was a better way to go to prevent irritation. The one time I tried waxing I took a ride and the next day and had a bad reaction. So I was just looking for some imput from other riders that might be having a similar problem. :rolleyes:

Biking Kitsune
05-14-2004, 10:06 AM
Has anyone considered not shaving the bikini area? I have the same problem, and to my (*very* understanding) husband's chagrin, I've decided to not shave for awhile as an experiment. If anyone has trouble obtaining 'permission', they can try what I did....
I asked him if I could just not shave, like he doesn't... he complained a little, so I, for fun, shaved HIM. after grumbling, scratching and whining, he said he *totally* understood, and was willing to see how my experiament went. =)

bounceswoosh
05-14-2004, 10:28 AM
Permission? Hah!

Yup, I've tried not shaving -- haven't shaved, plucked, or waxed a thing on my body since I was about 14.

It's amazing how much free time I have ...

Seriously, permission? I hope that's a joke. It's your body, not his. It's not like you force him to shave his back! ... um, you don't do that, right?

Biking Kitsune
05-14-2004, 10:38 AM
Yeah, I kid... though there was this one time... he's 19 and of the geneology so he has very sparse (just starting) chest and back hair.... he'd been growing it out for a couple months, so proud of about 8 inch long black hairs on front and back, so in the shower I shaved them off. It was then that we decided to play at asking permission before shaving each other... he even asks now if it's 'okay' to trim his goatee. =) it's all in fun, don't worry. =)

hibiscus09
05-16-2004, 06:09 PM
I shave my underarms, legs and bikini area every time I shower. I get out of the shower and apply Cortaid to the bikini area I've shaved. It completely eliminated any bikini rash problems. :)

kimba
05-18-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Biking Kitsune
8 inch long black hairs on front and back,

8 inch long hairs !!
What- is he a gorilla???
Somebody call the zoo!!!

Kimba
just kidding- I just couldn't resist - I know you meant the quantity of 8 hairs that are about an inch long...

: p

Biking Kitsune
05-19-2004, 07:40 AM
Hehehehe...

janetcm
06-10-2004, 01:04 PM
I've shaved...and i've waxed. And i've let it go "natural." (In other words...not done either.) The no shave-no wax is the most comfortable for biking, but it's not realistic for bikini season. So I usually wax during biking season. It lasts the longest, and i usually have to wax every two weeks. As for a Brazilian style wax, i lived in Brazil for three years. What it usu refers to is the removal of everything (front, back, and underneath), except for a little strip of fur in the front. Unless you wear a thong in public, I don't see a Brazilian wax as a necessity. And unless you have been waxed by an expert and know what to do, i recommend going to a professional. The danger is applying too much wax to the area your trying to de-fuzz, and taking off too much hair at one time. It's a killer when that happens. An application of Neosporin cream works well afterward to control red bumps, and i also recommend a lotion with a hydroxy acid in it to help slough off skin in between waxings. It will help diminish "in-growns" when your fur starts to grow in again. The positive side of waxing over a long period of time...your hair diminishes in both courseness and quantity.

MightyMitre
06-15-2004, 04:01 PM
I've tried trimming and shaving but currently find 'natual' is the most comfortable for cyling.

The full head of hair makes things nice and cushioned when riding, but I guess not so good for the bikini season.

Luckily little shorts seem to be all the rage on the beach here this summer so I can just let everything do it's own thang for a while...:)

Pink Kona
06-15-2004, 06:06 PM
This is too funny! I highly recommend getting a good Vagina man to do the deed and shave off those unwanted hairs. Then listen to the Vagina women and get some after-market soothers. A trimmed ch-ch-ch-chia is better than an overgrown bush!

I hope your laughing. I am.

Irulan
06-15-2004, 08:44 PM
good Vagina man
heh, do you mean hetero or WHAT? ROFLOL!!! As compared to a BAD vagina man? lol. I haven't a clue what you are talking about but it's funny as hell... And
vagina women Isn't that all of us??

good grief, I am SO ignorant....:D

irulan

EDIT: d'oh, I got it at 3 am this morning, ...as in "leg man"..
I am so slow sometimes!!!

I.

Pink Kona
06-16-2004, 06:58 AM
Vagina Man all started from the Vagina Monologs - if you haven't seen it on HBO I highly suggest renting it from the video store. She finally puts words to what we all are thinking.... and sheds some light for others...... you may even find an answer to your rash issue.

fultzie
06-16-2004, 07:23 AM
I was in my school's V-Day production of the VMs this year (read "Happy Fact"-- that was me!! :D)... for an answer to the "rash" question, read the monologue titled "Hair". I think the husband in that one would be an example of a "bad Vagina Man" too :p

Biking Kitsune
06-16-2004, 09:32 AM
Ok, after having not shaved (except for some hedge trimming here and there for looks) since my last post saying I wouldn't, I can pretty much conclude that fur is better.
My husband said to me, "Roo, it's so much better, I wonder why you ever STARTED to shave..."
(I suppose it pays to be prickly so bushy is a nice alternative! ;)
btw my swimming suit is boyish-shorts and a little halter top, so it all works for me...

Pink Kona
06-16-2004, 11:27 AM
Your hair must grow slowly! If I didn't trim for a month and a half a new Amazon Rain forest would inhabit the planet!

AAAAAAAAAA - aaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!:eek:

Biking Kitsune
06-16-2004, 12:17 PM
I saw your post and laughed so hard soda came out my nose! :D

I s'ppose it does... I don't think it's an amazon forest quite yet... then again, I've never been too furry. ;)

Then again, all I can really compare myself to furwise is my husband, and he's reforesting the Congo... :D

Trek420
06-23-2004, 12:07 PM
"Permission? Hah!

Yup, I've tried not shaving -- haven't shaved, plucked, or waxed a thing on my body since I was about 14.

It's amazing how much free time I have ..."

I shave under my arms, and shave my legs (and the latter only in bike season and even that not very well, since I'm near sighted I tend to miss spots and have to re-do often)...that's it, no plucking, waxing, nair, hair club for women, epilady shavers etc....but then I also don't wear makeup; sunscreen, chapstick is all. It's amazing the time and money I save and yes, I look fine.

Permission? I know you're kidding but permission?!? Let's just say I've had no complaints or requests to shave from the lucky few in a position to comment on the area and it's much more comfy on the bike. But I agree it makes sense if I swam more (and I loooove to swim just don't get out and do it) I'd shave or change style of swimsuit.