PDA

View Full Version : Question for you medical types

Offthegrid
11-17-2006, 07:08 AM
I got an outer ear infection from swimming. I always get them.

Doc last weekend gave me antibacterial ear drops and amoxicillan (sp?). I decided to try the drops first and skip the antibiotics, but I misread the directions and put four drops in the ear twice a day instead of two drops four times a day. After several days, I still had pain so I began taking the pills. This is when I discovered I read the instructions wrong. I continued using the drops, upping it to four times/day until Saturday which was the 7th day. The drops warn not to use them longer than 10 days or risk hearing loss.

I have two days of pills remaining.

This morning I put a mix of vinegar and perioxide in my ears after my shower -- a solution touted on many, many Web sites as how to prevent swimmer's ear. My ear is hurting SO bad now that I can't even concentrate at work. I'm literally holding off tears the pain is so extreme. I've taken three Advil.

What's up with that? Why soooooo much pain after the vinegar/perioxide solution? I'm dying, but taking off the rest of the day is not an option and can't see the doc because they close at 5 p.m. Fridays.

Bikingmomof3
11-17-2006, 07:11 AM
OTG- I honestly have no idea, but you should not be in that much pain. At the very least call the doctor's office right now! If you absolutely cannot be seen, then go to urgent care tonight or the ER.

mimitabby
11-17-2006, 07:25 AM
I agree, call the doctor. but it could be there was a raw area and the vinegar BURNS!

Offthegrid
11-17-2006, 09:11 AM
The pain has finally started dissipating; I bet that was it -- the skin was irritated to begin with. Ouch. (And, yes, I'm a bad girl; no way I'm calling this doctor unless I'm dying. I'm in the middle of switching doctors but don't see the new one until the end of the month.)

bcipam
11-17-2006, 09:16 AM
A number of years ago I injured my ear using a Q-tip. The injury would not stop bleeding and bled constantly for 4 days until I finally went to the Dr and had the wound cauterized. Talk about PAIN!!! I did learn that the inner ear is one of the most pain sensitive areas of the body because of all the blood vessels in the area. I would never ever put anything in my ear without first discussing it was a doctor. Good luck on the injury. Get back to the doctor and follow his instructions to get well. Ear problems, no fun!!!!

Offthegrid
11-17-2006, 09:18 AM
Ouch!

I get a lot of wax in my ear (hence the frequent infections when I swim), and I actually was banned from using q-tips several years ago. Doc at the time said it would just pack the wax in tighter.

SouthernBelle
11-17-2006, 11:10 AM
Take this for what it is worth, which may not be much. When I swam team as a kid, we used something called 'sweet oil' in our ears. Both before and after swimming. I only remember having swimmer's ear once.

Course, this was a couple of years ago. :p

DirtDiva
11-17-2006, 12:07 PM
Ear infections are the one time I take antibiotics without a second thought. Quite aside from the discomfort, if left untreated they can lead to hearing loss - I can afford any more of that! :eek:

Dianyla
11-17-2006, 02:47 PM
Take this for what it is worth, which may not be much. When I swam team as a kid, we used something called 'sweet oil' in our ears. Both before and after swimming. I only remember having swimmer's ear once.
A few weeks ago I actually saw sweet oil on the shelf at Walgreens while I was looking for something else. I checked the label on it out of curiosity, and it only has one ingredient... Olive oil!

And they wanted quite a bit of money per ounce, compared to the cost of olive oil in the cooking section. :rolleyes:

SouthernBelle
11-17-2006, 03:41 PM
A few weeks ago I actually saw sweet oil on the shelf at Walgreens while I was looking for something else. I checked the label on it out of curiosity, and it only has one ingredient... Olive oil!

And they wanted quite a bit of money per ounce, compared to the cost of olive oil in the cooking section. :rolleyes:

:D Well, I'm glad to know!