PDA

View Full Version : Sub-$500 MTB/Urban

Aseradyn
11-15-2006, 01:44 PM
Following is an epic tale followed by a few questions. More information is better than less? :D

So, I have a bike that I absolutely love. It's an early 90's Schwinn Woodlands, which I got new (on clearance) for, oh, $150 or so. I rode it all the way through high school and then all but abandoned biking during college.

About six months ago, I moved close to work and started riding the 2 miles or so to work most days. I also ride on weekend errands - grocery store, Target, that sort of thing. No more than 10 miles in each direction. For the record, I have no interest in competing or doing long rides.

Sadly, every time I turn around I need to fix something. I have a lot of emotional attachment to the bike - not to mention that it's set up exactly the way I want it - so I'm going to just keep fixing it.

I can fix a lot of stuff myself, but some things take me a while, and others wind up going to the LBS, with a minimum 6 days turnaround. So, I want to get a second bike to use as a backup. I love riding, and I want something that won't fall apart on me in a couple of years, but I'm just not serious enough about biking to fork over more than $400-500 for a bike (that's a serious maximum).

So, I went online to see what's out there... Specialized and Trek both have decent-looking bikes in that range, but I have a few questions...

1 - How is the quality of the lower end bikes by these companies? I'm not competing or going very long distances, so I really don't care too much about the performance (speed, efficiency, and so on), just how long they'll last.

2 - Are there other/better companies y'all would recommend?

3 - Most of these are 8-speed bikes. I've been riding a 21-speed for so many years, I worry that I'll miss the range I've got now. Opinions on 8-speeds?

Thanks!

KnottedYet
11-16-2006, 05:39 AM
What about checking into a Kona Dew? I use one for my commuter, and even did a triathlon on it. I really love this bike (just as much, but in a different way, as I love my Waterford). My bike shop guys called the Dew "bombproof". Eyelets for all the fenders and racks you could want. Very nice geometry for speedy commuting and visibility.

http://www.konaworld.com/bikes/2k7/DEW/index.html

Aseradyn
11-16-2006, 06:02 AM
"Bombproof" is exactly what I'm after :) Thanks for the recommendation!

And, hey, to go test-ride a Kona, I have to visit a new bike shop. Extra bonus! :D

Trek420
11-16-2006, 06:28 AM
KnottedYet "I really love this bike (just as much, but in a different way, as I love my Waterford)."

Yeah right, but you spend the holidays with the Waterford, when the Kona calls you never answer the phone... :p ;) :rolleyes:

I have this, 1997 Gt Outpost Trail.

The new ones have front suspension and aluminum frame I think. This old one's perfect for me: steel frame and fork, no suspension and once I figure out my camera I'll post pictures.

There's a good discussion here somewhere of upgrades to entry level bikes. This sub-$300.00 bike believe I could at least do metric centuries on it now. Love this bike (not as much as my Mondonico and in a different way).

mimitabby
11-16-2006, 06:50 AM
to answer your question, i think a 500 dollar Trek is a pretty nice bike.
What you are paying for with more expensive bikes is lighter componentry
which you are clearly not concerned with.
If you're not riding hills at all, I dont know what you need 21 gears for. If you are riding hills, you're going to miss them.

Aseradyn
11-16-2006, 07:52 AM
You know, on second look, I think I am mis-reading the specs for these bikes. I'm new to this ;) but the more I looked at, the less sense it made. Take, for example, the Trek 7300

http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike.php?bikeid=1033060&f=21

I was looking at the shifters and seeing "8 speed". But this is actually a triple crank with an 8-speed cassette, which would give a total of 24 possible combinations. Right?

So, if that's right, then skip the 8-speed question, because it's a non-issue.

I'll get my terminology down yet!

Also - thanks for the opinions so far :) I've developed a one-track mind on the topic of a new bike (what else am I supposed to do while I'm sitting in traffic in my car?) and I appreciate the more experienced insight!

KnottedYet
11-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Yeah right, but you spend the holidays with the Waterford, when the Kona calls you never answer the phone... :p ;) :rolleyes:

Yeah, but I'll be spending Hannukah with the Mondonico...

Trek420
11-16-2006, 02:32 PM
KnottedYet "Yeah, but I'll be spending Hannukah with the Mondonico..."

That's the good thing about those inter demoninational bikes, otherwise the bikes get jealous "you always spend X-mas with Flossie you never...".

But when you have the Jewish bike, Muslim bike, Pagan bike....less hassle 'round the holidays.

mimitabby
11-16-2006, 02:36 PM
Yeah, but I'll be spending Hannukah with the Mondonico...

Uh, Knotted, what do you know about the Mondonico?
(better to spend Ferragosto with the Mondonico, since it's Italian!)

KnottedYet
11-16-2006, 06:26 PM
Mimi-

Menace the Mondonico is Jewish, Flossie the Waterford is Unitarian.

They have a very nice relationship.:p
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/KnottedYet/DSCN0308.jpg
Menace and Flossie on the Golden Gate Bridge this weekend. Together at last!

Aseradyn-
sorry about the thread hijack...:o

Trek420
11-16-2006, 06:36 PM
whoo hoo, aprox 47 cm Menace with full size wheels.

Funny, she doesn't look Jewish :rolleyes: (I can say that ;) )

Mimi, since it's all about the food on TE, I found Kosher Italian recipes 8-)

www.jewish-food.org/recipes/itaindex.htm

Aseradyn
11-17-2006, 01:22 PM
sorry about the thread hijack...:o

Meh. No problem :)

I think I got the answer I needed to hear, anyway - most bikes in that price range will be fine, so it's just whatever I like.

Random commentary is just one of the many reasons I love reading this forum :D

Eden
11-17-2006, 01:49 PM
Kona Dews are really nice - another company to check out for value to price point is Marin (www.marinbikes.com) Check out their "street" line.

Aseradyn
11-17-2006, 02:06 PM
Oooh :)

I like that Marin has a whole range of normal-looking step-through frames, instead of the goofy-looking curvy ones.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Aseradyn
11-27-2006, 07:53 AM
First off, many thanks to everyone who replied to my questions! I wanted to update this thread just to let y'all know what I decided on :)

I hit about three bike shops and rode at least 15 bikes. They've changed a lot since I last did any bike shopping!

Some general impressions:

Riding a couple of mountain bikes basically ruled out anything with front suspension. In the price range I was looking at, I couldn't lock out the front suspension, and I'm heavy enough that every time I hit the brakes, the front suspension compressed. I felt like I was going to fall off! More importantly, I felt like I didn't have enough control. That also ruled out the "comfort" bikes.

I discovered that I don't like push-lever type shifters. I do really like the twist/grip shifters though. (I'm *so* putting a set of those on my Schwinn!) But the right hand is backward - that's going to take some getting used to.

Most of the bikes I rode were... useable transportation. Light, functional, but rough and, well, they just felt cheap. I felt like they would shake themselves to pieces. Sort of like a Geo Metro. The more like this that I rode, the more I think I got an absolute steal on my old Schwinn.

The Decision...

I rode a Kona Smoke, and I barely had it out the door before I was in love. Smooth, solid, quiet, and shifted like a snap. A long step above anything else I rode. It's a little long (I like to sit as close to upright as possible), but we swapped out the stem and moved the seat all the way forward, and it fits pretty good. The dealer also threw in a different set of tires (wider, with a Kevlar belt, good for the Houston bike lanes). With the dealer markup, tax, and adding a rack, I just squeaked in under my $500 maxiumum.

I had originally intended to get a bike I could take off-road. The Smoke just doesn't have enough ground clearance for that - and I knew that when I bought it. I've managed to dig the pedal into the ground just turning a corner, so I'm teaching myself not to pedal through sharp corners. :) Instead, I'm going to make it my main commuter and grocery shopping bike, with the Woodlands as a backup if I need repairs.

I'm also going to start working on the Woodlands to get it back into trail-ready shape. At a minimum, it needs new brakes, cassette, and crank. (I didn't realize how bad those brakes were until I rode a bike with good ones) That'll be a fun project!

So, anyway, long ramble over. Thanks again for the suggestions, and for all the information and advice available in these forums!

mimitabby
11-27-2006, 07:56 AM
congrats on finding a bike you liked, and getting it set up for you!
I don't get why you would have a ground clearance problem, it sounds like
a great bike for off road, but i am no expert in that area.

we want to see a picture!

Aseradyn
11-27-2006, 08:14 AM
I'm a little fuzzy on the ground clearance issue myself. I think it's a combination of two things:

1 - The bottom bracket seems to be a little (maybe 1/2 - 1 inch) lower than my Woodlands. I haven't figured out why. Both bikes have 26" wheels and comparable tires... Maybe the chain stay is angled differently?

2 - The crank is a little longer than what I'm used to.

At the bottom of a revolution, there's about an inch or inch-and-a-half clearance from the ground. (I haven't measured - that's an estimate). If I point my toe down at the bottom of the stroke, I can scrape my toe on the road.

When I turn, I tend to lean (probably more than is strictly necessary), so if I pedal down on the inside of the turn, the pedal hits the ground.

It's not a problem in town - I just have to teach myself to be aware of where the pedal is. And on relatively flat trails, probably not an issue, either. But I can so easily see myself descending a bumpy trail, pedaling a little to keep the chain tight, and winding up with my pedal buried in the ground. And then, obeying the law of conservation of energy, there's me, flying off the bike... :eek:

I'll run down over lunch and see if there's enough light in the garage for a picture :)

Trek420
11-27-2006, 09:31 AM
Aseradyn "The Smoke just doesn't have enough ground clearance for that - and I knew that when I bought it. I've managed to dig the pedal into the ground just turning a corner, so I'm teaching myself not to pedal through sharp corners. :)"

pedal on through that corner grrl, you'll just get used to the timing so the outside pedal is down on that outside edge of the turn.

pedaling out of the corners makes you faster and more secure on the turn.

outside leg down will make you more secure on descents!

have fun on your bike! :p

Aseradyn
11-27-2006, 10:14 AM
Okay! Picture time. I lock up in the parking garage, to the railing around the smoking area. Nobody actually smokes there. They all hang out by the back door of the building, sitting next to the No Smoking signs.

Just realized, looking at it, that I also had them replace the rubber grips with foam - the rubber started to hurt after riding for a few minutes.

And I'm also reminded that I still need to get another or a longer lock so I don't lose that back wheel... There's always something else to buy. :rolleyes:

mimitabby
11-27-2006, 10:25 AM
Looks like a mean machine! enjoy your bike. I am so glad you found it.
m

KnottedYet
11-27-2006, 05:17 PM
Nice bike! Smoke was the other Kona I was interested in, but I got the Dew because I fell in love with it the minute I rode it.

Can't argue with love.... sigh.

Congrats on your gorgeous bike! (and welcome to the Kona universe!:D ) Looks like a fabulous critter!

HillSlugger
12-14-2006, 11:14 AM
Nice bike. Have fun with it!

I felt like they would shake themselves to pieces. Sort of like a Geo Metro.

I had a 1990 Geo Metro. It was OK as a commuter car on local roads (35mpg) but if you took it up to anything near highway speeds it felt like you were losing all contact with the road :eek: I got rid of it fast when it became my only car after my splitup.