PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Insulin?

paigette
11-15-2006, 11:37 AM
For the past 3 weeks I've been peeing quite a lot, waking up at night every 2 hours to go. I've also had some dizzy spells & shakiness in the afternoons. Hoping for the best, but knowing the worst (I'd be 4th generation of diabetics) I made an appointment with a doc.

Just got called back with test results. Fasting sugar levels were 55 (average should be 70-80). When doc paired the above symptoms with the fact that I mentioned my weight loss stall (happily lost 40 pounds, then stalled out for 9 months despite best efforts) he thinks I may be producing too much insulin....which I think means I have the opposite of diabetes:confused: ?

Anybody deal with too much insulin? What exactly does that mean?

I will do the additional tests tomorrow to get complete diagnosis.

DarcyInOregon
11-15-2006, 11:52 AM
I think you need to wait for more tests. The low blood sugar might be merely the downswing from some really high spikes, which some diabetics experience. When you get your test results, all of them, go online and look up how to interpret the numbers. Learn what the tests mean. Then go from there. If the doctor gives you a diagnosis, ask if there are classes you can take or one-on-one consulting with a nutritionist.

I am a controlled diabetic, meaning I have normal blood sugar because I make great efforts with my nutrition and daily exercise. However I've had episodes of low blood sugar, for sure when I bike long distances, but at other times too, and for a lot of years. A few times I've been below 60, and I've never had high spikes. My blood sugar rarely exceeds 120 after a meal.

I hope you will keep this thread active when you get the results from your doctor. Insulin impairment affects a lot of people, and many of us belong to this forum and can gain knowledge from your experiences.

Darcy

Bikingmomof3
11-15-2006, 12:53 PM
Wait for the complete diagnosis. You will need more tests. I am hypoglycemic which I control by eating six evenly spaced meals a day. If I have an off day, I will have symptoms as you described. If I over induldge in sugar (and sadly I occassionally do :o ) I become so drowsy I fall asleep and sleep for hours. This happened once at a neighbour's party. :o

paigette
11-17-2006, 08:37 AM
Apparently my insulin levels are kind of wonky, but not in the DIABETIC classification. Doctor is recommending that I start following a diabetic diet and check my levels in 3 months.