PDA

View Full Version : bike shorts with best chamois?

ElizabethS
04-01-2002, 03:43 PM
My Castelli bike shorts have a chamois that is sewn on with nylon thread. The shorts were fine for 10-15 mile rides, but I'm starting to go further. After a 35 mile bike ride this weekend my rear end & crotch were raw & sore from rubbing on the seams. I do not ride with underware and use "Butt-R" creme which is supposed to prevent this sort of thing. I am desperate to find bike shorts that do not rub in this area. I will soon be going on a 2-week, 30-60 miles a day bike tour & need to find something comfortable or I won't make it. Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions or recomendations? Thanks!

J**
04-01-2002, 04:56 PM
I've had the same problem with Shebeest shorts, though I'm not sure it's the fiber as much as the fact that that seam is awfully abrasive. Anyway, same thing happens--10 miles or so down the road and I'm ready to ride home shorts-less.

Shebeests seem pretty popular, so maybe it's something about the shape of me. Anyhow, I've found an alternative that doesn't rub me raw--Terry T-Shorts. I just got my first pair about a month ago and I've worn them in my early training for a week-long bike tour this summer. Not the longest rides in the world, but in the 20-30 mile range, and the Terry shorts haven't let me down yet. Same goes for their new 2002 knickers.

I've heard some women say Terry shorts don't exactly wear like iron, so I don't know how long they'll last. But they fit beautifully and they feel great, so I'm treating them right. Not cheap, but what bike shorts are?
--J

Sammy
04-03-2002, 03:19 PM
I guess I've been pretty lucky in this category. I have an awesome pair of shorts from Trisport. They have a gel chamois. They feel pretty good. Also, I highly recommend you picking up a padded liner from your local bike shop. Since it's still a little nippy here in Jersey I can't always wear shorts.I bought a padded liner (made by TREK) and I can virtually wear anything I want over it. Your saddle also can make a big difference. So, good luck, happy trails, keep your hiney padded, and pedal on my friend.

J**
04-04-2002, 05:39 AM
Take a look at this article before buying gel shorts.
http://www.bicyclenow.com/article1011.html

This rider wasn't nearly as lucky as you've been, Sammy! ;)

Dogmama
04-05-2002, 03:35 AM
The best I've found are Pearlizumi's - but not the tan liner - they make one with a black liner. A little pricey, but they wear like iron and the shorts feel terrific.

ayermail2
04-07-2002, 09:48 AM
My favorite shorts (even after a wekk-long tour averaging 62 miles per day!) are Cannondales! Got them on sale last year-end for 35$!

roadie gal
04-09-2002, 02:00 PM
I vote for the Terry T-shorts. I have a pair that's over 2 years old, that I wore last year on a 100+ mile ride. They're still going strong. I really like the Dryline material. It breathes better than the shiny lycra stuff in some of my other shorts. They aren't cheap at $65, but they've outlasted my more expensive PI shorts.

debict
04-09-2002, 02:24 PM
I have knickers and shorts and I love them. My thighs are a little chubby (not for long warm weather is coming!!) so I love the knickers. I've bought all of them here at teamestrogen.com the price is a little high, but the quality is great. I've never had any problems no matter how many times they're washed.:)

pennys
06-08-2002, 05:42 AM
I make my own shorts. I can whip up a really nice pair in less than an hour - any of you have a sewing machine? I make a chaomois out of two layers of Polartec fleece and a layer of ultrasuede that's really nice.

I just can't see forking out $60-90 buck for a pair of shorts that takes $10 worht of lycra. Kwik Sew has a great pattern.

penny

ayermail2
06-09-2002, 05:25 PM
Pennys - I'd like more info on making your own shorts...What's the pattern number? How about details on making the chamois? Is that part of the pattern or something you came up with yourself? Is Lycra easy to find?

tinkerbell
06-10-2002, 06:18 AM
I beg to differ with how well the Terry Knickers fare on long rides. I have tried them out on one 60 mile ride a while back and had some difficulties with chaffing. They are great for shorter 20-30 mile rides, but I wouldn't trust them for anything much longer. I love my Pearl Izumi's (with the Pressure Relief Chamois-PRT) and my Briko's (found them on sale for about 1/2 off -otherwise they are quite pricey! They are my favorite though!!) Both of those brands have treated me well on many longer rides.

I think this topic is just like much in cycling--it depends on the individual as to tastes and preferences. You find what you like by trial and error (which I know can be expensive, so asking for advice is a good start.)

I have never tried the Chamois But'tr (or whatever it's called ;) ) and am wondering what people have to say about that. From the name, it sounds like it'd be greasy or something. I am doing a 6 day 500 mile ride and think that by the end no matter what shorts I wear I will be hurting a bit. Am wondering if this might be something worth trying to cut down on at least some of the discomfort. Any thoughts?

BikeLady
06-10-2002, 09:36 AM
I use Chamois Butt'r, and it's great stuff. It is a little gooey when you first put it on (and I smear it all over me and the chamois), but it warms up and then everything gets comfy! It seems to make a big difference on long rides.

My favorite shorts? PI Ultrasensors. I tried Terry, but I thought the chamois was too thick, and cheap shorts just don't hold up.

pennys
06-10-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by ayermail2
Pennys - I'd like more info on making your own shorts...What's the pattern number? How about details on making the chamois? Is that part of the pattern or something you came up with yourself? Is Lycra easy to find?

Stertch and Sew #312. You can get heavy lycra mail order from Quest Oufitters or Outdoors Wilderness FAbircs, both of them are listed on my make gear pages, www.specialtyoutdoors.com/tips.htm under fabrics.

there is a pattern for the chamois, I"m pretty sure they tell you to use the ultrasuede and the polartec.

penny s

ayermail2
06-10-2002, 05:24 PM
Pennys -
thanks so much! that'll be a great cool weather project!
:D

ayermail2
06-10-2002, 05:29 PM
Love the chamois butt'r - definitely helps on longer rides...
have you tried readjusting your saddle? Sometimes just the tiniest little tilt forward can make a world of difference!! (as opposed to absolutely level - but not so much that it's really obviously not level, or you'll be falling off the seat)

ayermail2
06-10-2002, 05:35 PM
ElizabethS -
Try other things, but keep using the butt'r!! My first bike tour was this past October, and I found that the chamois butt'r was really COLD first thing in the morning....I was so sore the end of the day I hadn't used it that I kept the bottle in my sleeping bag! Depending on when your tour is, you may also want to consider that!
Good luck finding some shorts that are a better fit for you!

Trixiee
06-11-2002, 03:21 AM
Hi There!

Any one have a website where I can get the stuff? I'm a bit shy, and would turn soSO RED , if I had to ask the guy at the store for the stuff! Besides our store is so small, that I don't think they would carry it. (They had to order in a pair of padded shorts for me, they had 1 pair there - size small):rolleyes:

Thanks a lot!

Trixiee

kircass
06-11-2002, 05:37 PM
I just purchased a pair of Nike dri fit shorts that I really like. I have only been on one over 20 mile ride with them but so far so good. They were actually about 10 bucks cheaper than the Terry ones I tried on as well.

Dogmama
06-11-2002, 06:41 PM
What are Brikos? I've never heard of them. Why do you like them? Where do you get them? I'm always looking for good shorts. I've done my share of suffering, so I'll pay $$$ for comfort. After all, I'm not out there to suffer - I have a job!

Kim

tinkerbell
06-12-2002, 07:40 AM
I found my Brikos at World Cycling Productions, their website is at www.worldcycling.com. I enjoy the soft material they are made out of, as well as the comfortable pad which is not too bulky. The brand I own is called- Katana shorts with the viper pad. They also have a slightly cheaper pair, but I have never tried them out. I also enjoy that they have a little bit of style to them (i get tired of the plain black that looks like every other pair of cycling shorts ;) These have some stitching that makes them a little more interesting, without being crazy. I've never seen this brand carried anywhere else here in the states...I think the line comes from Italy. Good luck...

ayermail2
06-12-2002, 05:38 PM
www.terrybicycles.com

www.rei.com (will ship to Canada)

www.bravesoldier.com

it's about 12$ (US) a tube....

Don't know of any Canadian sites (couldn't find it a Velotique.com)

I've also heard some say that they like Bag Balm, which is in a square green metal can, and is found in a lot of drugstores like CVS etc...

Trixiee
06-13-2002, 05:20 PM
Will vaseline work just as well? Is the whole idea just to prevent chafing? Or does it help reduce butt soreness?

Trixiee:confused: :confused:

Dogmama
06-13-2002, 06:38 PM
When I went on my 9 day, 550 mile ride across AZ, I used Desitin (sp? the stuff for baby diaper rash). It numbed the area a bit - which was nice during the last three days! - and helped prevent infections from the heat, moisture, etc. Even if you use something else, you might consider a topical antiseptic (especially one with a bit of numbing properties - did I mention that?) so that any potential infections can be headed off.

Another important thing - the minute I got into camp, hotel, where ever, I took the shorts off, washed well, put on a little more desitin & put on some loose pants. ahhh, heaven!

KleinGal
06-23-2002, 08:09 PM
Sorry about this really late posting, but I just discovered this site today :) Anyway, I never see any mention of Voler shorts, maybe not that many women know about them since Voler is most well known for race team logo clothing. But these are by far the most comfortable shorts my husband and I have found (we used to be die-hard Pearl Izumi Ultrasensor fans). And guess what..Voler shorts are only $44.95! They are totally amazing. Check them out at www.velowear.com. And for the fashion queens, they come in 8 colors! ;)

talouse
06-26-2002, 02:06 PM
I am very disappointed in a recently purchased pair of Castelli shorts. The Vario Thick chamois lacks support and bunches up in front which gets painful after a long time in the saddle. Oh, if only the chamois could live up to that luxurious silky lycra Castelli uses!!

I commute to work by bike (100-200 miles a week). I need a well made short. Far and away the best chamois for me is the PRT by Pearl Izumi. I have 2 shorts that have this chamois - the Ultrasensor and Microsensor. They now include this chamois in their Attack shorts which are less expensive then the Micro or Ultra Sensor. It has lots of support, it can really cushion an urban commute. It has held up to over a year of washings (2x a week) and I can't see any wear and tear. I use it for mountain biking as well. It's shaped perfectly, narrower up front but large enough to protect the sit bones. The short itself fits well with no saggy diaper feeling...obviously someone at Pearl consulted WOMEN before actually constructing a woman's short!

As for Micro vs. Ultra Sensor - the micro is silkier and lighter and a bit cooler. But the ultra wicks just as well and gives your muscles a little more support.

My next choices far down the list would be the Multi L Elite by Performance. (But to be honest, although the chamois is good, the short itself is not that good) and the REI Pro Air.

elizabeth
07-02-2002, 03:15 AM
Ladies,

I have to say I've read your stories with horror!

Since I bought two pairs of "Jitterbugs" Ladies nicks over a year ago, I haven't had a problem. I never hop on bike without them. No chaffing, just comfort. And they're almost as good as new!

I bought them from a New Zealand company called Ground Effect. Their stuff is great quality and with the exchange rate - excellent value. check out their website, it's really good. www.groundeffect.co.nz

ElizabethS
07-02-2002, 08:26 AM
Thank you to everyone that replied. Armed with everyone's suggestions, I spent a few hours at my local bike stores trying the recommended shorts on. On many of the shorts the chamois felt nice and soft, but often the shorts didn't fit properly. As someone mentioned on this board, a lot depends on your shape & size. I'm almost 6 feet tall with a small waist but larger rear and muscular legs. I found that many of the women's shorts weren't really cut for a taller woman. The Pearl Izumi Microsensors in XL seemed to fit best, which, unfortunately, were the most expensive of all the ones I tried on.

After my first 5 hour ride up some monster Italian passes I knew the Pearls were the right choice even if they were expensive. The shorts, combined with rubbing the Butt'r on before each ride, did the trick. I spent more time on my bike during my few weeks in Italy than I have in the last 6 months and had no problems other than slightly sore muscles because I wasn't in good enough shape! The chamois & stitching stayed soft, even in the heat and humidity. Thanks again for all your help. By the way, I highly recommend a bike trip to northern Italy. It was amazing!

lb satterly
07-22-2002, 07:19 PM
I like the women's pearl izumi shorts. Just did a 44 mile ride with no irritation at all. The seams are soft and the fit is great for me

Veronica
10-12-2002, 04:09 PM
I too am in search of great fitting shorts. I have a couple pair of Sugois, a pair of In Sport and a pair of She Beest ( that I just bought). We typically do 70 - 100 mile rides. The In Sports are the best for really long rides. I wore the SheBeests today and I'm really thinking hard about just throwing them in the garbage. Ten miles into the ride I was ready to be riding in the nude. Well not really - but they were hugely uncomfortable.
I'm not sure they would last through an hour of Spin or a 45 minute video - that's how unbearable they were.

snapdragen
10-20-2002, 05:44 PM
I have to agree - stay away from Shebeest. I did a metric century yesterday -- today I am nursing some nasty and painful sores on my hind-end! You can see where the edge of the so called "she sensitive" chamois cut into me!

Susan Otcenas
10-21-2002, 09:20 AM
Hello Ladies,

I am Susan Otcenas, the President of Team Estrogen. After reading some of your posts regarding Shebeest shorts, I contacted Shebeest with your concerns.

Shebeest replied:

"Susan,
Let me know what we can do for your customers. We had a run of shorts that seem to have a problem w/the chamois. We've addressed the issue w/our supplier in Italy and can replace any shorts you get back or have questions on. Thanks for the feed back."

So, if you've purchased your shorts (Shebeest Elite Distance or SSS Short - these are the two shorts with the SheSensitive Chamois) from us (Team Estrogen) in the past 6 months and have experienced a problem with the chamois, please let us know. We will be happy to replace the short with a new pair, and send the damaged shorts back to Shebeest. If you purchased your shorts from another retailer, you'll need to contact that retailer directly.

You can contact us toll-free at 877-310-4592, or send us an e-mail at custserv@teamestrogen.com.

Sincerely,

Susan Otcenas

snapdragen
10-21-2002, 01:20 PM
Thanks Susan! I didn't buy my knickers from TE - but I will definately contact SheBeest to see if they will replace them for me.

Veronica
10-22-2002, 02:27 PM
The cool thing is - I bought mine here and they have offered me a store credit. I'm pretty stoked about that. I just need to get off my duff and send them back. :)

Karen London
11-27-2002, 08:46 AM
Just a note about comfortable chamois, what we're all looking for! I tried on a pair of Castelli shorts with the new "paola pezzo" (women=specific) chamois, it felt very very comfortable...

Veronica
11-27-2002, 03:16 PM
I rode the Death Valley century in a pair of Castelli shorts. Really comfortable.

MM_QFC!
11-27-2002, 07:23 PM
since it's that time of year and even if it's sunny and gorgeous out, I've found that the suggestion of wearing tights or leg warmers when it's under 70 degrees to be good advice...I've got some Terry tights w/chamois that're great...saves you from having to wear shorts or chamois panties under...what has everyone else found?

Karen London
11-28-2002, 02:59 AM
Sorry to be boring but I actually bought some Women's Castelli tights (the shorts I only tried, the tights I actually bought 2 of) this winter, I think the Paolo Pezzo chamois is in them, they are absolutely superb, light, warm, they breathe, not too hot when it's not actually too cold, but really warm when it is quite cold,they are wonderful (but a little expensive). Beware I also tried on some Castelli knickers which had a large red chamois in them, this was much bulkier and I think would have been much less comfortable, no way way I going to buy those. The chamois in the shorts I liked is the same as the one in my tights, sort of "Y" shaped and when you wear it, does not have lots of extra cloth flapping around, just perfect, personally although expensive I think that Castelli chamois is worth the money whatever garment you find it in...

Veronica
11-28-2002, 06:30 AM
I tried a pair of tights without a chamois over my shorts and found it just too bulky feeling. I have since switched to leg warmers with my shorts. That seems to work pretty well and gives me the flexibility to remove them if it warms up. They fit into jersey pockets so I can put them on for long downhills too. I hate to be cold.

For arm warmers I cut the toes out of a pair of wool hiking socks. They worked great as well and were cheap. :)

Veronica

goddess1222
11-28-2002, 10:25 AM
i have a pair of exte ondo women's shorts and a pair of men's bib knickers. i love the men's knickers better because the chamois gives more coverage, especially in the "important area."

hey Veronica, i am interested in buying some leg warmers. where did you get yours?

ayermail2
11-28-2002, 12:06 PM
Veronica, about the wool socks for arm warmers.... I may try that this winter:p

Veronica
11-28-2002, 01:00 PM
Wish I could take credit for the idea of turning them into arm warmers. I read about it at Rivendell bikes website. My sister got me one of their wool jerseys for Christmas. I get to open it when it gets here :) since we're going to go home (Maine) for the holiday. I'll let you know how it works out.

Leg warmers I got at REI. They had both Pearl Izumi and Sugoi brands. I went with the Sugoi because they felt a bit lighter. It doesn't get that cold here in the Bay Area. Wore them today on our attempt at riding Diablo (we had chain issues, major bummer -but it's a long weekend!) It was great because as I warmed up I could just push the arm and leg warmers down without having to stop pedaling.

Veronica

Daisey
02-27-2003, 07:13 PM
Hi,

I'm a fairly new "serious" cyclist, having just received a nice new Terry bike for my birthday in November from my husband. I, too, have had the rubbed raw problem, I think partly because I perspire so heavily. I have the Terry T-shorts, and they are wonderfully comfy, (the chamois is seamless and very soft), but have found on rides of 30 miles or so that I build up a great deal of wetness in the chamois and get some chafing. I haven't tried chamois butter yet, and that may solve the problem.

I am trying out the Shebeest elite distance short and so far the chamois seems to wick the perspiration away really well with no chafing. The chamois in this short is seamless. That was on a 20 mile ride, so I really need to try them on a longer ride to really tell.

I tried out the Pearl Izumi 3D microsensor short and found the chamois somewhat thick and had some moisture buildup but no chafing. However, after only 2 launderings on a gentle cycle (air dry), the chamois started to delaminate. Not good. I had to return them to the bike shop and am afraid to try new ones. I live in the South, so the 3D pad would probably get too hot.

Hope this helps. Any suggestions from you experienced ladies would be much welcomed!

Daisey

Daisey
02-27-2003, 07:21 PM
Hi, i posted a reply about my chamois experiences, but somehow it got bumped into a different biking tights category here.

Daisey

annie
04-14-2003, 06:17 PM
Thanks, Susan, for the Sheebeest info. I must have gotten my Sheebeest shorts before or after they had a problem with the chamois, because I love them! I was dubious at first, 'cause the chamois was thicker than in any other shorts I'd tried. But I now save those shorts for my long rides. I rode 100 on them just this past Saturday. First 100 for the year, on a new bike, and I am not saddle sore. The shorts had to have had something to do with that.

Charley
04-16-2003, 12:04 PM
I find the top-of-the line Pearl Izumi and Castelli (with the "Y" shaped chamois) to be the most comfortable and Terry shorts to be the worst. I ride off-road and the Terry chamois bunches terribly after a few miles.

I won't skimp when it comes to riding shorts - chafing ruins the best ride and can be painful for several days.

Another suggestion is to take a look at your saddle. There are saddles designed with cutouts and/or gel inserts that take much of the pressure off sensitive parts. I ride Terry's Fly (men's) saddles and like them very much. Terry's web site lists all their saddles.

Good luck,
Charley

Daisey
04-17-2003, 05:25 PM
Thanks for all of your input so far. I had considerable problems with chafing when wearing the Terry shorts also. I'm hoping they will offer their T-short with a different style chamois, as I thought they fit well and liked the driline fabric. I am a frequent customer of Terry, so I am a big fan of theirs. They are great people.

I also had problems with severe chafing with the Shebeest elite distance short, not in the crotch, but where the chamois meets the thigh. I'm told they are fixing that problem soon with a slight redesign.

So far I have had great luck with the Pearl Izumi 3D Microsensor short and also the Ultrasensor. I haven't tried the Castelli short because I felt they were too expensive for just being a 6-panel short and not flatlocked seams. I was not sure they would be comfortable on long rides. The chamois looks like it would be comfortable though.

My current seat is the Terry butterfly, and it is not ideal for me. I end up with some tailbone pain and occassional numbness in my crotch area. I've tried all sorts of adjustments, but still has not worked out great. It's not horrible, just not ideal. I tried the Butterfly gel seat and also the Liberator. They caused worse problems than the original butterfly. However, my husband has a Trico Split-rail seat on his bike and loves it. He is installing one like it on my bike tonight, so I am anxious to give it a try. The seat is split down the whole length, and has several fine tuning options to it, including width, hardness, etc. It is a slight bit longer than my Butterfly though.

Keep up the feedback! It's wonderful to get ideas from others out there.:)

Veronica
04-17-2003, 05:48 PM
I have the Castelli Y shorts. I really like those.

I have a Brooks saddle on both our tandem and my road bike. That took care of all my sit problems. They're leather and they are a bit heavier than other saddles though. I figure if weight is an issue, I should look at removing it from myself first. :)

Veronica

ayermail2
04-18-2003, 06:52 AM
I second you Veronica! LOL (removing excess weight from ME! )

Ya'll might want to look at this seat:

www.ergo-theseat.com

so far, this is working out well for me, but not sure abot it with mtbing, as it is as wide as my old T. butterfly...

am likely to change over to the non-gel non-lycra soon, got the gel one only because it was the only "noseless" saddle in the store! ;o)

love that it has no "nose" though!

eXp_Chick
01-16-2004, 01:05 AM
Okay, I loved all of the responses and advice...I have one question:

If the point of chamois is to keep you dry, and chamois butter is so fantastic.......how does this work? What about yeast infections!!!!! Is this an issue at all? What have I missed? My logic is apparently not working on this one:( HORROR

annie
01-16-2004, 04:16 AM
expChick,

Chamois butter helps prevent chafing by reducing friction. Chamois is not just to keep you dry. For one thing, I don't think there is any short or any fabric out there that will truly keep you dry, unless you never sweat. And how many of us can say that? Yes, some shorts are better at wicking than others but if you ride hard, you will sweat and you will be have a damp chamois. The best thing thing you can do is get out of the shorts as soon as possible after riding and clean off. I can't speak for the problem of yeast infections, rarely suffer from it but I'm sure you'll hear from someone with experience. :rolleyes:

emily_in_nc
01-16-2004, 08:40 AM
You shouldn't put the chamois butter in the area where you would get a yeast infection, i.e., close to the vagina. It should only be used in the area in the crease between your leg and crotch and back a bit towards your butt - but on either side - NOT in the middle directly on your genitals. Hard to describe. Anyway, this is how I do it, and it works great for me - no yeasties! :)

Emily

bikerchic
01-27-2004, 08:16 PM
Emily said:

You shouldn't put the chamois butter in the area where you would get a yeast infection, i.e., close to the vagina. It should only be used in the area in the crease between your leg and crotch and back a bit towards your butt - but on either side - NOT in the middle directly on your genitals.

No you shouldn't! The chamois butter goes ON THE CHAMOIS! This is a mistake many make, even with Butter Butt, it goes on the chamois! You can also use Vaseline it's cheaper.

I always work it into my chamois and rarely have problems. If you are experiencing yeast infections it could be because you don't take your bike shorts off immediately after riding. Really this is the best advise I got early on in my cycling, take your bike shorts off and always, always, always wash them before you wear them again. I know it's a pain, it was a short ride and really they "seem" clean, but you will avoid infections if you follow those simple suggestions.

Yeast infections aren't the only concern, sometimes you may develope blistering, chafing, raw sore spots or carbuncles, these can get infected by poor hygine. BTW if you have developed any of these things use a topical anti bacterial ointment and keep the area, shorts ect clean.

Hope this helps.

Kate

eastcoaster
03-11-2004, 05:49 AM
I rode across the country twice (averaging about 75-80 miles a day) and I had Cannondale (Vortex and the cheaper version), SheBeest and Pearl Izumi Shorts. I love my Cannondale Vortex (Vertex??), especially because they're a hot shiny blue, and have a line of reflectors down the leg. They're super comfortable, especially the leg elastic.

What I've found, is that, on centuries, no short is really comfortable. Once I started wearing 2 pairs of shorts on really long days (up to 122 miles) I had a happy butt for the whole time! As long as the first pair has a non-chafing chamois, you're set!

SadieKate
04-01-2004, 09:52 AM
A quote from http://www.pacelineproducts.com/products/chamois.htm, the manufacturer of Chamois Butt'r:

To apply Chamois BUTT'r: Put 1/6 to 1/3 ounce of Chamois BUTT'r either on your skin, or on the pad of your shorts, before you put your shorts on. It's your preference, the Chamois BUTT'r ends up in the same place either way!

I place it liberally on my genitals and have for years. I go on 6 day mtb tours where showers are few and far between. The lubricant is water-disoluble so you are not left feeling icky and it washes out of your shorts easily. I take babywipes to use morning and night for these tours and have NEVER had a problem with infections. However, I get out of damp shorts immediately and rotate shorts through the tour if I can't have clean shorts for every day.

ausgirl
04-28-2004, 05:40 PM
Cannibal and Body Torque have the best knicks that I have ever worn. Cannibal have a really nice comfortable chamois, but Body Torque have a chamois that is designed for the female anatomy. Both are really comfortable on long rides and both have leg grippers. Here is the Body Torque website: http://www.bodytorque.com.au/indexhome.html

dnzjunkie
07-26-2004, 06:45 AM
I learned the (very) hard way... do NOT use liquid soap when washing your bike shorts. The soap does not rinse out completely, especially in the thicker pads/gel pads. I was always so chaffed until I figured out what was causing it. We go on Mtn Biking vacations every year to a different place and am on the bike everyday for hours. Currently, I have PI Micro shorts which I love and they are extremely comfortable. They have the grey, ribbed pad and supposedly it add some ventilation. Now I'm in the market for another pair of shorts and will definitely check out some of your suggestions.
Happy biking!