PDA

View Full Version : Announcement: Name Change

Bad JuJu
11-14-2006, 05:53 AM
I may have to go downtown and file some papers at the courthouse before I can legally do this, but.......I'm changing my bikes' names.:eek:

After having ridden my new-ish Bianchi Veloce for a while, I've learned that she really prefers to go by Stella. So what else can I do, but call her by her true name? So Stella she is.

So then, not to be upstaged by this upstart, my trusty Waterford, previously named Bad JuJu, started lobbying for a new name. She chose the now- untenanted Professor Sprout, since it really fits her much better than, as she put it, "that fussy princess of a Bianchi.":rolleyes:

Since things were getting a little tense, we all had to kiss and make up, but everyone feels much better now.:D

mimitabby
11-14-2006, 06:02 AM
Stella. hm. well, my Bianchi, which as you know is also a Veloce has a much different feel. It feels more like a hard headed racehorse. (the kind you really have to work to get it's attention.) This is not to say it is unresponsive, more like capricious. (which comes from the root word GOAT, which is not a nice name for a pretty bike)

well, i hope the girls are getting along okay now. I always thought bad juju was a dog not a bike!

indysteel
11-14-2006, 06:33 AM
I love the name Stella. I decided some time ago that if I ever get a dog (preferably a Scottish or Bull Terrier), that's going to be her name. I have to admit too, that I loved the name Sprout so much (when naming your Veloce first came up) that I co-opted it for my Bianchi Eros Donna (she is light green after all.

Where did "Bad JuJu" come from any way? For some reason, I assumed that JuJu was the name of the dog in your avatar......

Kate

CyclChyk
11-14-2006, 06:45 AM
Well I like Stella and Prof Sprout is an awesome name..... funny how they pick names theirselves (seperate from what we deem) as I too have conceded that my Bianchi has chosen a name other than the "formalnamebefittingathingofbeauty" I had given her. I chose "Cielo Su Terra" (heaven on earth) and she likes "Ridley"....

Ridley.... go figure. But it fits.

Bad JuJu
11-14-2006, 07:49 AM
I LOVE Ridley!!! She's got very good taste in names, hasn't she?

Bad JuJu is a name from my military past--in the naval aviation community (and probably in other services as well), everyone has a "call sign" which is the name used to talk to you on the radio when you're in the air. But you don't get to choose your own call sign, oh no--somebody in your first squadron usually gins up one for you, usually with some association to your real name, or your looks, or ...whatever. Lucky me :rolleyes: --I got "Bad JuJu" (actual name: Judy). And it stuck. Happily, it sort of grew on me. (And no, I wasn't a pilot--I was a parachutist/parachute rigger.)

Here's the thing about Stella. I always thought Bianchi's signature celeste color was a creamy paint, not metallic. But if you look at it in the sun, you can see the fine, understated sparkle in a dozen shades of blue and green, like tiny stars. Starry...stellar...Stella!
And the new Prof. Sprout just looks more like a Prof. Sprout--with her forest green paint and her rear rack and handlebar bag--just the thing for collecting specimens in the woods or hauling books around.
So..."though this be madness, yet there is method in it."

Mimi, you could call your bike "Capri"!

Wow, I'm just relieved I haven't heard from the Bike Name Police yet.:D

7rider
11-14-2006, 08:38 AM
Hmmmm, in the boating world...there is a ceremony you have to go through to re-name a boat, lest you bring bad luck upon yourself. I certainly hope this doesn't apply to bikes!!! :eek:
Of course, the way "around" that is to incorporate the new name into the old...in this case "Professor Stella Sprout", a.k.a. Stella, for short.
(Why am I thinking old movies now...??? Someone yelling "STELLA!!! STELLA!!!!") ;)
Hmmm....that theory, however, makes "Bad JuJu Professor Sprout" (or better, "Bad Professor JuJu Sprout") seem rather awkward, tho', doesn't it???
Sigh.
I think a smudging ceremony is in order. Or at least, swap some parts around - tire levers, saddle bags, bottle holders, or what have you.
OR.....
You can say...Quit being so superstitious and just enjoy the ride!!!! :D

DebW
11-14-2006, 08:46 AM
After having ridden my new-ish Bianchi Veloce for a while, I've learned that she really prefers to go by Stella. So what else can I do, but call her by her true name? So Stella she is.

So then, not to be upstaged by this upstart, my trusty Waterford, previously named Bad JuJu, started lobbying for a new name. She chose the now- untenanted Professor Sprout, since it really fits her much better than, as she put it, "that fussy princess of a Bianchi.":rolleyes:

I just reread "The naming of bikes" poem by KnottedYet (http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=9769&highlight=naming). If the bikes told you their names, are these Type 3 names? And why did they divulge them? Do they keep any secrets from you?

Bad JuJu
11-14-2006, 10:48 AM
I just reread "The naming of bikes" poem by KnottedYet (http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=9769&highlight=naming). If the bikes told you their names, are these Type 3 names? And why did they divulge them? Do they keep any secrets from you?

Hmmm, I wonder what they talk about when I'm not around? Maybe they just had to learn to trust me before coming clean with their REAL names.

Regina, I remember that old rule about not changing a boat's name for fear of bad luck. And yes, I've been swapping saddle bags and mini-tools on the two bikes, so maybe that will throw the bad bike-name-change demons off the scent.

Finally, yeah--I need to just get over it and go out for a ride. On which bike???:eek:

BleeckerSt_Girl
11-14-2006, 12:02 PM
I think you should just change the names to what you like and don't worry about it. We're supposed to be having fun, right? ;)

I named my blue bike Bleuette when I got it, but it hasn't felt right somehow. So I've been planning to rename him. Just haven't found the right name yet! It'll come eventually...

eofelis
11-22-2006, 03:48 PM
I named my black Surly Pacer road bike Ruffian, after the famous race horse from the early 1970s. But my bike is not tall nor fast, like the race horse was. But I haven't thought of another name for it yet. Any suggestions?

My sage green Surly Long Haul Trucker is named Camion, after a horse I knew, and it means truck in French. But one time on a climb I started calling the slow, stout little green bike "Turtle."

CyclChyk
11-22-2006, 05:46 PM
Bad JuJu is a name from my military past--in the naval aviation community (and probably in other services as well), everyone has a "call sign" which is the name used to talk to you on the radio when you're in the air. But you don't get to choose your own call sign, oh no--somebody in your first squadron usually gins up one for you, usually with some association to your real name, or your looks, or ...whatever. Lucky me :rolleyes: --I got "Bad JuJu" (actual name: Judy). And it stuck. Happily, it sort of grew on me. (And no, I wasn't a pilot--I was a parachutist/parachute rigger.)

Here's the thing about Stella. I always thought Bianchi's signature celeste color was a creamy paint, not metallic. But if you look at it in the sun, you can see the fine, understated sparkle in a dozen shades of blue and green, like tiny stars. Starry...stellar...Stella!Wow, I'm just relieved I haven't heard from the Bike Name Police yet.:D

I love your call sign! I think it's awesome that you were in the service, altho no way could I sack up enough to jump out of a plane. Holy cow I get dizzy just thinking about it!

And I think the bike police will give you a break on this one as most people get 9 months to determine the names of their baby's. Besides, "juniors" are usually picked on so badly.... and I think STELLA is an awesome name. :cool:

wannaduacentury
11-24-2006, 01:19 PM
I may have to go downtown and file some papers at the courthouse before I can legally do this, but.......I'm changing my bikes' names.:eek:

Since things were getting a little tense, we all had to kiss and make up, but everyone feels much better now.:D

I like the name Stella-my best friend in college is named Stella and a former mgr named Stella- to me a good luck name for a green bike. Jennifer

bianchigirl
11-27-2006, 11:40 AM
Wow, I have never thought of what she will be named (Bianchi Vigorelli).
Celeste fits her...