PDA

View Full Version : Huntsville 1/2 marathon

btchance
11-12-2006, 03:05 PM
I did this 1/2 Mary yesterday, and it was the first one I've done. I have pretty mixed emotions about the race, basically the first 10miles I loved and had a great time, the last 3 the organization of the race became horrible and it kinda got to me mentally.

Anyways, it started out in mid 50 degree weather, with it misting on us for the first 1:30. I wore my tri-shorts and top with a long sleeved shirt over it, used knit gloves, wore my hat, and carried an extra pair of socks if needed (didn't have to use them). For nutrition I used sports beans and the gatoraid on course, and had a gel with me in case I needed it.

They advertised the course as "pretty-flat", which I should never have believed. I mean, it starts on a road called Mountain gap. It wasn't too bad on the hills, though. Not enough to really affect me going up, but enough to let me roll down. The first 3miles were a loop through a neighborhood, then headed out towards the greenway. I kept a good pacing schedule going, running around an 11:30 - 12 min mile up til mile 10. During that time I only walked through the aid stations. I actually felt pretty good around mile 9-10 and was planning on picking up the pace and seeing if I could come in at 2:30 (I mean, I had 30mins to go and a 5K left, I've ran that speed plenty of times and felt pretty good at that point). However, at mile 10 I turned and had a head wind the rest of the way, the temp was dropping (ended up at 45), and had some issues with race management (I'll get to that in a minute). The last 5K ended up taking me 45minutes, so I finished in 2:45. That time I'm pretty pleased with; my goal was to be between 2:30 and 2:45, so I can't complain about that. I also think this will help me down the road with the tris, and being able to push myself on the runs, something I had issues with last year.

After the race, though, I felt like my body just shut down. I barely was able to walk to my car, and getting my fingers enough to get my car key out and my race belt off was entertaining. I dropped both at least once. Yesterday all of my joints were killing me, especially my left knee and ankle, and my bunions and toe-nails. Today those all feel fine, and it's my muscles, especially quads, that are horrible. I can barely sit down without using my arms to help me; I usually just collapse. I went and walked for 30minutes, and did a short 10min bike ride to help get the soreness out, and I'm actually feeling a little better now.

Now, I hate to complain about the organization of a race, especially a local race, but there were a few issues I had with it. The course was to remain open for 3hours, with the finish line open for 3:30. The first hour, hour 1/2 it was well manned, but for us slower people, I felt like we kinda got left out to dry. It started in the first 3 miles. I had a friend who I passed and a couple of miles later I looked back for her. We were supossed to have a police car behind the last person the whole way, and when I looked, there was only 2 people behind me, then the car, and she wasn't one of them. The police car stayed right in that position until we got to the greenway, then pulled off and parked. When I doubled back on the greenway, I saw her behind me, and a number of other people, all of whom the car passed. Then when I came off the greenway, with a number of other people I might add, the car had already left and I could see it a good mile ahead of us. I thought the car was there for safety reasons, but we were just left out there (and we all finished under 3 hours, by the way). Also, on the way back there was no one at any of the aid stations (which were not where the race flyers said they would be - wrong locations, not enough of them), and there was nobody at the corners telling us where to turn, and there were no signs left saying where to turn either. There were just little white arrows (4"x2") painted on the road, under leaves, telling us where to go. I'm sorry, but I don't watch the bottom of the road that much, and ended up relying on other racers around me to guide me back. I kinda felt left out there, that the people who took more than 2hours didn't matter, and what would have happened if I, or someone else got hurt? There was no one to help us. I'm sorry, but if the race advertises that the course is going to stay open for 3hours, then make sure there is volunteers out there to help everyone out if needed for 3 hours. It's for safety, and courtesy towards us.

Sorry about complaining so much. The first portion went great, and was well organized. I just feel like it fell apart towards the end.

I'm planning on doing another one eventually, but it will probably be a bigger one where I know the course will be properly supported.

kaybee
11-13-2006, 04:51 AM
Oh, BT, sorry your experience wasn't better, but you finished, and you did it all by yourself, which is no small accomplishment! I was thinking about you Saturday morning, when it started misting on us at mile 10, because I knew the weather was coming from your area west of us. Does the race have a website where runners can post comments? If they do, you may want to consider posting some "suggestions" for them. All of your concerns are valid.

Be proud of your accomplishment, because you did a great job. I would definitely pick a larger race next time. In fact, you may want to pick one that's coming up pretty soon, since you're already in shape for it. Let's see, there's Atlanta on Thanksgiving Day, Memphis on December 2, New Orleans on February 25 . . . ;)

KB

Deborajen
11-13-2006, 08:30 AM
Congratulations! Glad to hear you did so well. The half mary is a looong run. Running into a headwind is tough - and having that to contend with for three miles after running ten - that's digging deep! Good job!

I'd be disappointed about the support situation, too. The running club here does an awesome job putting on events. They have a hard time getting enough volunteers for the half mary so there are fewer aid stations and the runners have to fend for themselves a little more, but the runners seem to plan ahead for that and it all works out. The police support is always tops. In fact, I think since the events are promoted to be open for a certain length of time, they're obligated to follow through and not cut off the support early. Permits have to be in place for road closings, etc., and police support is required to make sure that happens, etc. I'd be inclined to offer some feedback with some concerns about closing early. Our half mary was open for 3 1/2 hours which I think is great. I've never understood why an endurance event would focus too much on speed. That's missing the point and discouraging new participants to give it a try.

Congratulations again - you did it!

Deb

Tri Girl
11-13-2006, 04:25 PM
Congrats on your half mary btchance!!!! So very proud of you!!!!

Sorry about the course issues, I would've been upset too. If you feel the need, send an e-mail to the organizers, not so much to "complain" but to voice your concerns for the safety of the runners. Should anyone have gotten hurt, it would've been their liability, and they should be aware of course issues for next year.

Congrats again! Sounds like you had an outstanding race, and you should be jumping for joy at your performance!

colby
11-13-2006, 06:45 PM
Great job BT! Even with all the complications and challenges (hills AND wind, yuck!) you finished strong. I agree with Tri Girl, maybe you should email the race organizers -- they might not even know this stuff went on. Most organizers DO want their events to grow, and making the ol' BOPers happy is one way to do that :)

For the last HM I did, it was a pretty small local race, and by the time the BOPers were coming in, some for their first loops and others for their second, everyone at the aid stations came to cheer. It was really great. I was a little worried about doing a small event, but this one seemed to go well.

I'm glad everyone finished safely. Now you have a time to beat for next time! :D

btchance
11-15-2006, 03:13 AM
Hey girls - yeah, I'm considering talking to someone with the track club. First I'm going to talk to my friend who came in even later than I did and get her feelings on it. A couple of my friends here who didn't run it had the same opinions as you guys did.

As far as my next one, I may do the Mercedes 1/2 mary in Feb. That one is much bigger, and the course is open for 4hours. Right now I'm going to work on speed and hills, and just do an occasional long run up to 8 miles. But with that, it should be easy to get up to the 1/2 mary.

Thanks!

Tri Girl
11-15-2006, 02:20 PM
Do you have any pics to share with us?????

btchance
11-16-2006, 03:05 AM
No, no pics unfortunately.

KSH
11-21-2006, 05:05 AM
Congrats on finishing the distance!

I know it can be a little disappointing when you are in the back of the pack, and you don't seem to get the same "treatment" as the other racers... who came in earlier!

I did a race where my partner and I (it was a team challenge) came in dead last, and we too were ignored and left to take care of ourselves. It was upsettting and I was pretty annoyed.

But, you did finish the distance and that's a huge accomplisment. I bet if you do a larger race with a longer cut off time, you will NOT be in the back of the pack and you will have a different experience.