PDA

View Full Version : Long Runs -- Week of 11/6

kaybee
11-12-2006, 07:03 AM
Okay, ladies, 'fess up and tell us what you did. RP and I had our second 11-miler scheduled for yesterday, which we did. The weather was cloudy, windy, and very humid, with a temperature of 60 degrees. This is November, isn't it? :confused:

Next week is our last long run before the half. :eek: We plan to run for 2 hours and 15 minutes, since that's our projected finish time for the half. Hopefully, we'll reach 13 miles in that time.

Had planned to ride w/hubby today, but it's pretty windy due to a cold front coming through, so the ride has been scrapped. Bummer.

Happy running (and riding!) to everyone. Stay safe and healthy.

KB

seychelle
11-12-2006, 07:18 AM
Injured runner. Can I post here ?

I walked 2 miles (at 4 mph pace) today of my usual running route with negligable discomfort !

kaybee
11-12-2006, 08:33 AM
Hey Seychelle! OF COURSE you can post here! What's your injury? (If you don't mind my asking!) This is a great place to come for support, motivation, information, etc., and we're happy to have you!

KB

btchance
11-12-2006, 09:05 AM
Did my 1/2 mary yesterday. I'll post some stuff about it a little while later

seychelle
11-12-2006, 09:18 AM
Hi KB,

Let's see if I can make this brief :) I have a couple of things going on. I have an accessory navicular bone (extra navicular bone), pronate and have flat feet (I do wear custom orthotics). The podiatrist said it was post tib tendinitis. I had an MRI and there were no tears or fractures, but I did have stress reaction (step before a fx) in the talus (??) and accessory navicular. I think I have plantar fasciitis and so does my PT. I have been going 3 times/week and getting iontophoresis with dexamethasone (steroid) and deep tissue massage that hurts like a b#$%@ ! it's helped some.

How did I get in this mess ? This is what I think caused it. I've been wearing the same brand/model/size of running shoe for the past 3 years. It was time for a new pair and they had just made "improvements" to the shoe. So I bought the shoes and did a 3 mi run on the TM (that's how I usually try out my new shoes). The shoes felt huge and my pronating left foot was sliding all over the place in there and must have not had enough support causing my foot to pronate and injure the bone/pull on the post tib tendon. I should've stopped running, but didn't. Don't get me wrong, my left foot is my "problem child" but never to this degree. I think this is going to be a chronic problem, but it is getting better. That's why I've come to this board as I have a feeling that my long distance running days may be numbered. I may have to pick up a different sport, cycling. To be honest, cycling doesn't give me the same feeling as running, but I have to do something or I'm going to go crazy !

I've looked at bikes, but have not bought one yet so any help with that would be great ! I'll start a post about it once I've narrowed things down or can't make up my mind.

Tri Girl
11-12-2006, 01:04 PM
I went for my first long run since my IM. It was hard and didn't feel very good, but I ran 8 miles, although not very quickly. I've lost so much speed. It's definitely a goal to get my speed back to where it was pre-IM training.
Temp was in the low 30's, so kinda chilly- but I love to run in the cold.

Btchance- we want details about your race!!!!! :)

seychelle- sorry to hear about your injuries! Keep at it, and you'll be recovering in no time. Don't give up on long distance running- it may take time, but don't give up if you love it. As for biking, it's quite addicitve, and you may find that if you're biking and running you can give your legs a rest while you still have fun out there on the road.

Running Mommy
11-12-2006, 01:15 PM
It took me just over 3 hours. Not much fun, but long runs never really are. I wish I could just get to the race already! :p
They say that the training is way harder than the race, and I think I have to agree. I find myself questioning my sanity every few miles. ;)

seychelle
11-12-2006, 01:56 PM
They say that the training is way harder than the race, and I think I have to agree. I find myself questioning my sanity every few miles. ;)

I think training is harder. Not just the milage, but the discipline required to actually get out and do the miles when you'd rather sleep in or when the weather is not ideal. Are you training for a full and did a 1/2 yesterday ? Good luck !

Thanks Tri Girl :) I was driving around today scouting out places to ride ;)

colby
11-12-2006, 03:08 PM
It is I, Colby McTapersons checking in on week 2 of my taper, 2 weeks to marathon. eeeeeek :eek:

Today's run was 12 miles. Why does 12 miles seem so easy? "Only 12 miles" I said to someone at work and they gave me this look, the one that makes you think "hmm, maybe I AM crazy after all." I remember running 12 miles on the frontside of my training, and it seemed rough, but now I feel like I'm just warmed up at around 8-10 miles.

Anyway, 39 degrees, windier than snot, no rain though. It started to drizzle and I argued out loud with nature: "can't you just wait 40 more minutes? No? Fine, bring it on then!" ;) My first 4 miles were with the dog, and while I love my little doggy friend, she loves to chase leaves and check out other dogs. Working on training her if she's going to run with me through the winter, but today was a 10 minute penalty because of that (we stop and walk past every dog with the leash held tight, we stop to pick up poo, we stop when she gets distracted and walk until she's ready to continue). So, it was about 2:10 for my 12 miles.

I finalized all of my travel plans last week. I had my husband argue with the hotel people -- they said no rooms available, I said "what, the website shows rooms" and sure enough, I had to go book through the website THEN have him change the room afterward. How frustrating. I know I waited too long, but what a hassle. Air travel not a big deal, plenty of flights from where we are to where we're going. We're not going to rent a car, I do not want to be driving around and feel "obligated" to visit ANY family. I just want to focus on my race and recovery, then back to work on Tuesday.

Really focusing on nutrition these next 2 weeks, especially after discovering I lost 3+ pounds over the last 2 weeks. Considering 4 of those days I couldn't run because I was sick, losing weight isn't something I planned on, and worries me a little. Too late to go back, but I can fix what happens from here on out. You'd think losing weight would be a good thing ;)

T minus 2 weeks... if I don't go crazy first.

colby
11-12-2006, 03:17 PM
snip story

Hey seychelle,

What a rough injury. :( I had some success with ionto for my shoulder (rotator cuff), it seemed to make a difference when combined with ice/heat and massage. I also found acupuncture to help me out there, but I don't know how that would work for feet... there are alot of points on the feet, though. I was an acupuncture skeptic, but it was the most significant improvement I saw following PT (especially iontophoresis, which was the first time in PT I started to feel better).

Cycling is a great sport, and much easier on the feet than running. It might not be the same, but they are great complements to each other. The ladies here at TE are a great resource, and we even have a running peloton for those days when you do run :)

colby
11-12-2006, 03:20 PM
It took me just over 3 hours. Not much fun, but long runs never really are. I wish I could just get to the race already! :p

Yes, I definitely agree. Training is so much more of a mental challenge. I told my husband it often either feels like a second job or a second marriage depending on what day you ask me ;)

For some reason a 3 hour bike ride doesn't phase me as much as a 3 hour run. I guess cycling comes easier, so it's easy to go longer distances and enjoy it rather than feel like every mile is a battle.

colby
11-12-2006, 03:30 PM
One thing I've noticed that I was going to include but spaced on, is that after my longer runs my stomach is way more sensitive. Smells like mustard, body odor, vinegar, and other strong things really make me queasy. It drives me nuts. Salty things also taste funny.

seychelle
11-12-2006, 05:24 PM
One thing I've noticed that I was going to include but spaced on, is that after my longer runs my stomach is way more sensitive. Smells like mustard, body odor, vinegar, and other strong things really make me queasy. It drives me nuts. Salty things also taste funny.

I have to wait about 1/2 - 1 hour after an LSD to eat. My stomach's a mess initially, but once that's over I can eat a cow ! well, not really ... I'm vegetarian, but you get the picture ;) To me food tastes so GOOD after a long run !

colby
11-12-2006, 05:28 PM
I have to wait about 1/2 - 1 hour after an LSD to eat. My stomach's a mess initially, but once that's over I can eat a cow ! well, not really ... I'm vegetarian, but you get the picture ;) To me food tastes so GOOD after a long run !

Food tastes great after about an hour, but for some reason icky smells just gross me out for the rest of the day, way more than usual. I am super hungry all day though... and the next day ;)

Grog
11-12-2006, 05:30 PM
Ah! I'm so happy I didn't have a long run this weekend. Last week's 16km nearly killed me.

I had 8km scheduled for each day. Yesterday I went for a wonderful 11km on the forest trails and had lots of fun. Today it was pouring rain, I was at my in-law's house in the suburb and didn't want to run on a combination of hard concrete and against-the-traffic-no-sidewalk paved road, in the heavy rain, so I skipped that one. I'll probably run tomorrow though, instead of taking a break. I might even run a 5k only, rare treat!!

Good job to all those who run and run and run... I still can't believe you guy run 11 miles, not km. But I'll get there soon...

Bikingmomof3
11-12-2006, 06:50 PM
I am finding if I do not go for a run, I find myself in a funk. Is this normal? Okay, stop laughing, as normal as I get?

I absolutely love running! My only complaints are my F4 monitor, I want more info and my nose gets so dang cold. Otherwise, I love it. Even in the rain. :cool:

tattiefritter
11-13-2006, 01:11 AM
I am finding if I do not go for a run, I find myself in a funk. Is this normal? Okay, stop laughing, as normal as I get?

Perfectly normal!

Have my longest run before my first 10K on the 25th - 8.5 miles. I'm not looking forward to it as it is windy as hell here and the forecast is for 25mph winds around lunchtime when I'll be running! My legs (and backside) feel wrecked after riding yesterday - I had a 5 week enforced break off biking due mainly to being ill, it was a shock to the old quads to be pedalling again. I'm hoping I survive, I will have to go near the seafront as well today which means sand in my eyes.

I'm sure I'll love it when I finish!

kaybee
11-13-2006, 05:31 AM
Seychelle: Sorry about the injuries. I understand the foot problems, since I've had a few myself. Riding is a great complement to running, and if you do take the plunge you'll find that you're a much stronger runner after riding for just a little while.

Colby: I'm excited for you! You'll do great. What are you going to do during your taper?

BMo3: You are a PERFECTLY normal runner! You don't even want to be in the same room with me if I have to skip more than one run. I really pity my husband when I'm injured!

RunningMommy: Are you training alone? I would definitely go crazy!

KB

colby
11-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Have my longest run before my first 10K on the 25th - 8.5 miles. I'm not looking forward to it as it is windy as hell here and the forecast is for 25mph winds around lunchtime when I'll be running! My legs (and backside) feel wrecked after riding yesterday - I had a 5 week enforced break off biking due mainly to being ill, it was a shock to the old quads to be pedalling again. I'm hoping I survive, I will have to go near the seafront as well today which means sand in my eyes.

I wish the tailwind was as good for running as it was for riding! The headwind when you run (or bike) really sucks, but at least when you ride you can count on an awesome tailwind when going the other direction. For some reason, all a tailwind while running means to me is a cold bum and my hair blown into my face ;)

colby
11-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Ah! I'm so happy I didn't have a long run this weekend. Last week's 16km nearly killed me.

I had 8km scheduled for each day. Yesterday I went for a wonderful 11km on the forest trails and had lots of fun. Today it was pouring rain, I was at my in-law's house in the suburb and didn't want to run on a combination of hard concrete and against-the-traffic-no-sidewalk paved road, in the heavy rain, so I skipped that one. I'll probably run tomorrow though, instead of taking a break. I might even run a 5k only, rare treat!!

Good job to all those who run and run and run... I still can't believe you guy run 11 miles, not km. But I'll get there soon...

It's funny how on one side of your training schedule those miles (or kms!) seem so difficult, but after you break past them and are on the "other side" of your schedule, they seem short! You'll get there :)

Make sure not to skip long runs and critical days like hills or speed work (if you're doing any), those are important. It's hard to pass up those 5k days, even if they are considered "easy" ;)

colby
11-13-2006, 11:12 AM
Colby: I'm excited for you! You'll do great. What are you going to do during your taper?

Probably go crazy... ;) I'm still following a schedule, which is shorter distances during the week, and shorter long runs on the weekend. This week is 5 miles, 4 miles, 6 miles, off, 3 miles, and Sunday's 12 miles (though Runners World recommended not going over 10 miles on your last long run weekend, so I might shorten that). Compared to my normal Thursday longer runs of up to 10 miles, 6 miles is pretty short. The total for last week was 35 miles, this week 29 miles, compared to max of 42 miles just 2 weeks ago. Even my marathon week at 37 miles will be shorter than my max week.

RunningMommy: Are you training alone? I would definitely go crazy!

While I'm not RM ;), I trained the whole season by myself, and really wondered how I would find a running partner at the end. While I have some trepidation about running with other people (what about pacing, what if they are faster than I am, what if I improve more than they do and "outgrow" them, what if...), I think it would be nice on some days to not be alone. I wish my husband was interested in running, my dad can't because of knee problems. Even then, I don't think I could get him training for a marathon. When I train for triathlons, I can get my dad and husband to bike with me, but not at my speed/distance.

Grog
11-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Oh Colby you're a 'what if' person just like my dear partner!!! Doing exercise with him sometimes is hard not because I have a hard time to follow sometimes but more because he keeps worrying that I'm thinking/feeling this or that and that makes things difficult. Just relax and let events unfold! :)

Make sure not to skip long runs and critical days like hills or speed work (if you're doing any), those are important. It's hard to pass up those 5k days, even if they are considered "easy" ;)

You're right. I went out for an unscheduled 5k today to replace yesterday's short recovery-week run.

I haven't been doing any speed work in a long time, but I always run on hills (there's nothing flat around here) so it's not totally lost on me. I think I'll just focus on volume for now and re-start doing speed work in the new year. I just want to know that I can do the distance I think. The speed work really taxes me if I'm running Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday in a row!!

kaybee
11-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Probably go crazy... ;) While I'm not RM ;), I trained the whole season by myself, and really wondered how I would find a running partner at the end. While I have some trepidation about running with other people (what about pacing, what if they are faster than I am, what if I improve more than they do and "outgrow" them, what if...), I think it would be nice on some days to not be alone. I wish my husband was interested in running, my dad can't because of knee problems. Even then, I don't think I could get him training for a marathon. When I train for triathlons, I can get my dad and husband to bike with me, but not at my speed/distance.

I think people who train alone are mentally stronger than those of us who manage to find partners. I can't skip a run or wimp out because that would be letting my buddies down, whereas if I ran alone, it would be so easy to skip workouts or let myself walk when the going gets tough.

I know I'm extremely lucky to have someone to run with. There are three of us -- two women and one guy. The other woman is the one that's training for and running the half with me, so during the week all three of us run together and on Saturdays she and I do our long runs. I appreciate these two people more than I can say.

KB