PDA

View Full Version : reacuring cold sore!

Brandi
11-11-2006, 08:36 AM
Ever since I did my big bike trip in sept I have been totally off. First I got wicked cold right after that lasted longer then most. Then not quite a month later I got another cold with a really bad sore throat that lasted for about 9 days ( the sore throat that is). Which my friend swabed and checked for strep, nothing. And I keep getting little cold sores. I was just getting over one when another one poped up! And I had one during my sore throat. Now so you know I do not get sick very often. maybe 1 or 2 times a year. Not one after another. Could a shift in maybe my thyroid cause this? Do you think it is just a fluke that I have been run down. I did work 30 days straight then went right into my 24o mile mountain bike ride. Got home had two weeks off then went back to work when I got the sore throat. I just don't know if I should talk to Dr I don't want him to think I am a cry baby.

Grog
11-11-2006, 08:58 AM
There is a medication existing to reduce the symptoms of the infection that causes cold sores (HSV-1). I think it is usually taken daily, but it might have some use being taken on a when-and-as-needed basis to reduce the outbreaks, that you would take when you can feel the cold sore coming (tingling feeling etc.). If it's really bothering you and the regular methods don't work (reducing stress, changing diet to avoid triggers, doing everything you can not to touch it, etc...) then you might want to talk to your doctor about it. I don't know how it's called.