PDA

View Full Version : Wicked urban ride!!

gapgoil
03-30-2002, 02:32 PM
Had an amazing ride on a beautiful spring day! First day that the snow is clearing and it was a FANTASTIC day to get muddy. Have now eye'd the drops I would like to progress to this summer. Watching the guys drop 12 feet into transition is some thing everyone should see.
Anyone urban ride at all?????

:D What a great day!

assassin__x
04-02-2002, 06:09 AM
I'd like to do more urban, but I still get intimadated by things like drops or hurling off the dirt jump properly. Fear is the biggest problem here, if you tense up while doing something like that you'll almost certainly loose control, or hesitate at that moment that you need to just let go.

This summer I think I'll try to do some more urban stuff, I'll be in classes over the summer so it'll be harder for me to get out to the trails. Playing on the university campus would be the easiest thing to access for me.

gapgoil
04-03-2002, 01:37 PM
hey han!
we usually tour around the city looking for things to drop off of. the guys are a lot more agressive then I am. They ofcourse ride full suspension bikes that can soak up the drop. There's tons of stuff around the university campuses, the government buildings are great too!
I'll try to post some pics, although there is one of my BF in the NCMBA site. It's the one taken at the Art Gallery. Check it out!

r

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/superT/spring01.JPG

Miyata912
04-11-2002, 01:56 PM
Ummm, I need some help with your jargon... What exactly is "urban" and what does a 12 foot drop into transition mean?:confused:

TIA.

gapgoil
04-11-2002, 03:08 PM
Hey there!

Well, urban is basically riding in the city, stairs, ledges anything that has a drop to it. Kids parks have a lot of potential as well, at night though, when there are no kiddies around.:D We have a lot of university campuses around here and government buildings, so there are lots of things to jump onto and off of.

12 foot drop into transition....hmmmm...that is a must see, but I will try to explain.
The guys ride up to a 12 foot ledge, and then jump off of it. The transition is the landing, that is usaully slopped away from what they dropped off of. I takes a lot of skill, and a lot of suspension in the bike to do this, although I have seen smaller drops done on hard tails. The guys that I ride with all have full suspension down hill bikes, heavy as anything, but fantastic for jumping.

Hope this helps!

rhonda

gapgoil
04-15-2002, 07:46 AM
Hey! Just wondering how your rides on campus are going? I am sure that you are finding lots of great stuff in the city.
Anyway, just hopin' you had a story to tell....

gapgoil

assassin__x
04-16-2002, 02:47 AM
For the next couple of weeks I'm in Oshawa Ontario. It's a small city built on the fact that General Motors has a couple of factories here. So far I havn't found anything that's all that interesting to ride. But I'll be back in Halifax NS soon, and combining how much I miss my bike there (I'm using my landlord's here, and it's pretty nasty) and that I just got clipless pedels I'm sure I'll have at least a couple of interesting stries to tell :D

gapgoil
04-16-2002, 05:20 AM
Hey! Great to hear that you are starting the season with clipless. I love them, and they sure did take a while to get used to. I spent a lot of time riding in the park (a few days) and doing bunny hops etc. up onto grass. Once you get the hang of them, you won't want to go back to flats.
Oshawa is an interesting place to be.... I grew up in Port Perry, not too far from there. I wish I could tell you some great places to ride, other than outside of the city. Dagmar, and Ganaraska, as well as the Mosprt area, but not sure about urban.
Anyway, good luck with the clipless!

take care,
gapgoil

MM_QFC!
01-04-2003, 10:35 PM
Hey -=[URJF]=-

You bust in here and disrespect our friendly, informative, supportive forum by sliming it with your spam messages, so you're going onto my ignore list ASAP and I've requested that the administrator bar your posts too.
Anyone else want to join me in dropping this jerk cold?
:mad:

ayermail2
01-05-2003, 06:48 AM
Already sent an email to the webmaster...