PDA

View Full Version : Today's Misadventure

Veronica
11-10-2006, 12:46 PM
I've had six flats since 2003. The first flat I ever had, I was captaining our tandem with the friend I was doing Cinderella with as stoker. It was a front pinch flat and the loss of control made the flat immediately obvious.

My second and third flats happened together when I went over some glass on a bike path on my way to meet Thom at BART. Again immediately apparent.

My fourth flat was on the rear. I picked up a thorn and I didn't notice anything wrong until I tried to corner the bike slid out in the rear

My fifth flat was on the rear when I hit a pothole at speed in the dark coming back from BART with Thom one day. Yeah, that was pretty obvious too.

Today I was planning to ride about 40 miles, over Morgan Territory Rd., a gorgeous but goat path climb and down into Liveremore. I've been looking forward to this ride because the descent is where I set my current top speed and I'm pretty sure the new bike will go faster. About ten miles into the ride my cell phone rang. I was almost to the top of a hill so I finished the climb and pulled over to call Thom back.

I descended this hill and I was doing 33 - 35 mph and the bike just feels a little off. I figured maybe I was imagining it. I haven't had the bike that long. The road was a little bumpy. Continued along and I knew something was not right. I figured maybe the rear is going flat, so I stopped and checked. Nope hard as a rock. Got back on the bike, started up the next hill, kind of leaned into it. Holy moly, my front was going flat! Nice big thorn! I pulled it out and all the air that was left whooshed out.

My new front wheel was super easy to change the tube on. For some reason one of my tire levers is stuck in my tool bar. So I had to get the tire off with only one lever. I was able to get the tire back on with just my hands.

I only had one tube and no patch kit, so I turned around and went back home. Morgan Territory is pretty remote and has limited cell coverage. I hate patching tubes on the road so I guess I'll start carrying two tubes on rides like that now.

V.

maillotpois
11-10-2006, 01:03 PM
Bummer!

I always carry at least 2 tubes. On the 600, I carried 5 - 6 tubes and didn't use a one! I am a freak.

At least you came home to good cookies. :cool:

Veronica
11-10-2006, 01:10 PM
Nothing like a Red Bull and a cookie!

Yeah, I had gotten kind of complacent since I don't feel like I get a lot of flats. Kind of dumb, but live and learn.

V.

annie
11-10-2006, 04:30 PM
I carry one tube and a patch kit. Occasionally, in switching between bikes, something is forgotten, usually the patch kit. I'd have done the exact same you did, V, if I was out with no way to fix a flat.

annie

spokewench
11-13-2006, 07:32 AM
But I usually only carry one tube, and a patch kit (just make sure your glue is fresh or it won't do you any good) Dry glue is a big problem.

Always carry 2 co 2 cartridges as well so if i have a second flat I can fill the second one up.