PDA

View Full Version : The Ashes

crazycanuck
11-10-2006, 04:40 AM
Hello,

Anyone out there a cricket fan & planning on watching the series???

Tell me your thoughts. Will Ricky ponting and company win the ashes back?

c

Trekhawk
11-10-2006, 02:40 PM
Hello,

Anyone out there a cricket fan & planning on watching the series???

Tell me your thoughts. Will Ricky ponting and company win the ashes back?

c

Of course - thrash the Poms we will (LOL what else do you expect an Aussie to say). No TV at my house so I might need you to fill me in on the highlights.:D

light_sabe_r
11-10-2006, 04:44 PM
not a cricket fan (Find the game LONG and boring...) plus the sight of shane warne makes me wanna vomit.

Aussies to win. ^_^

Send the pommies home!

crazycanuck
11-22-2006, 01:45 PM
Hey trek,

The Ashes start today.

Check out www.news.bbc.co.uk or www.news.com.au as perhaps they can keep you updated.

I'll ask if there's radio coverage & perhaps you can listen on the net.

I would tape it for you but ya don't have a tv...

c

light_sabe_r
11-23-2006, 10:41 AM
You wouldn't believe the number of people who took work off yesturday to go and see the ashes. It was a TRAFFIC nightmare here in Bris-vegas...

Thistle
11-23-2006, 10:49 AM
You wouldn't believe the number of people who took work off yesturday to go and see the ashes. It was a TRAFFIC nightmare here in Bris-vegas...

Yay....troublesome childish workmate went home yesterday to watch the cricket :D Have now decided even though i find the game incredibly boring we should have much more of it if the child will stay home watching it :D :D

Trekhawk
11-23-2006, 04:46 PM
Hey trek,

The Ashes start today.

Check out www.news.bbc.co.uk or www.news.com.au as perhaps they can keep you updated.

I'll ask if there's radio coverage & perhaps you can listen on the net.

I would tape it for you but ya don't have a tv...

c

Thanks CC I will check out the links.:)

crazycanuck
11-23-2006, 07:40 PM
I'm not a huge cricket fan but at the moment it's 5/513!!!

wowie...

trek-http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/england/default.stm

kelownagirl
11-23-2006, 08:31 PM
I have never seen a cricket game in my life and have no idea what the ashes is or who the poms are. Hwever, I am intrigured by a game that could have a score of 5/513. That can't possible mean one team has scored 513 goals or runs or however they keep score? How DO they keep score then?

crazycanuck
11-24-2006, 01:06 AM
Trek-more links to listen to the matches:
http://www2b.abc.net.au/utilitycentral/oziponly.asp?dir=grandstand/streaming&doc=/cricket_stream.htm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainframe.shtml?http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/sportsextra.shtml

Hey KG...I'm here to try and give you a bit of info on cricket. I'm going to to post a few links as we could be here all day!!! Forgive me if i've explained it a bit funnily but i'm trying to explain it in my head..

Ian has always said that Cricket was a sport the English invented to bore nations to death...

If you do visit the links-the place names are well known down under. The "Gabba"is the cricket ground in Brissie, The SCG is the cricket ground in Seeedney, the MCG is the most famous cricket ground (am I correct aussie ladies..?) in Melbourne and the WACA is the cricket ground in Perth.

Anywho-The Poms are the English cricket team. I'm sure the ladies in the UK will give me poos about calling the English Poms...It's a term we use out of love ;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poms

The Ashes test series is between Australia & England.

The 5/602 means the Australians have made 602 runs over 5 wickets. (f you're unsure what wickets are-the round wooden things at each end of the pitch.) There are two batsman at either end. When the ball is bowled, the batsman obviously hits the ball or in some cases perhaps not & then runs to the other end changing places with their team mate. The number of times they run is the 602. The 5 wickets means a ball has struck one of the wickets & one of the batsman is out.

Did that make some sense?

Here are some links.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ashes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/ashes/0,,,00.html

Oh and btw..believe it or not Canada and the US have National cricket teams....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americas_Cricket_Association

If you need any more info,Trekhawk might be able to help us...!!!

c

margo49
11-24-2006, 02:54 AM
Never try to *explain* cricket (in English or any other language -and believe me it sounds an even more unbelievable game in Hebrew!)
You have to be born into it and imbibe the rules with sips of Dad's beer and Mum's sherry (or Chateau Cardboard).

That said, Ozzie-yozzie-yozzie

crazycanuck
11-25-2006, 10:25 PM
Trekhawk..have you been able to follow much of the first test?

c

salsabike
11-26-2006, 08:44 AM
The Guardian does a nice job of writing up football games and out of general affection for CrazyCanuck, I've been looking at their Ashes stuff. The Guardian always makes me laugh, also. Looks like England is just getting hammered.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/ashes2006-07/story/0,,1957579,00.html

kiwi girl
11-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Never try to *explain* cricket (in English or any other language -and believe me it sounds an even more unbelievable game in Hebrew!)
You have to be born into it and imbibe the rules with sips of Dad's beer and Mum's sherry (or Chateau Cardboard).

That said, Ozzie-yozzie-yozzie

Hey Margot

The idea of trying to explain cricket in Hebrew sounds so hilarious that it had me spluttering into my coffee (having said that I don't speak Hebrew)

light_sabe_r
11-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Damn... The test has gone to a fifth day... Which means that Once again my workplace is deserted.

O_O

On friday when someone got out, we could hear the roar of the crowd from out the back of our hospital! (which is just 5mins up the road from the gabba by bus) It was incredible!!!

Okay though seriously. Cricket is the Aussie/English/NZ/West Indies/India/South Africa/Pakistan Equivalent to baseball... It's long, it involves a batter, a bowler (equiv to a pitcher) and lots of fielders. But rather than RUNS being scored when a person hits the the home plate, a run is scored when you hit the ball and then make it to the other end of the pitch without being caught out or run out. A run out is when someone picks up the ball from the ground and throws it at the stumps. If the stumps are hit before your over the line your out.

6 runs is when you hitthe ball into the stands on the full.
4 runs is when the ball bounces or rolls on the ground before hitting the stand boundary.

margo49
11-27-2006, 04:46 AM
Oh, Light, is *that* the best you can do for an explanation?
I refer you to my previous posts.

Trekhawk
11-27-2006, 08:04 AM
Trekhawk..have you been able to follow much of the first test?

c

Just a little - Im pleased to see we gave the Poms a good thrashing in the first Test. The English Captain seems to think they can recover and take the second so it should make for some good cricket.:)

light_sabe_r
11-27-2006, 12:53 PM
Yup Margo... The canadian and the Mandarin chinese here at work seem to get it now. ^_^ So it must've done some good

But Yeah... HEBREW would be hard. lol

LittleBlackDuck
11-29-2006, 10:17 PM
Hope this clears it up for those of you who don't know the rules of cricket:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he is out. When they are all out, the side that's been out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out, he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who are all out all the time, and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

Now don't tell me after reading that that you're STILL confused ;) .

Scary as it seems, if you know the rules of cricket and you read the above carefully, all of it makes sense :D .

Trekhawk
11-30-2006, 11:50 AM
Hope this clears it up for those of you who don't know the rules of cricket:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he is out. When they are all out, the side that's been out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out, he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who are all out all the time, and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

Now don't tell me after reading that that you're STILL confused ;) .

Scary as it seems, if you know the rules of cricket and you read the above carefully, all of it makes sense :D .

LOL - now you have made my cup of tea come out of my nose.:D

margo49
11-30-2006, 08:39 PM
Pretty good LittleBlackDuck-ie - for a start

But would it explain LBW when the batsman is facing a leg spinner?
Also it doesn't deal well with tactics - whether to go in or stay out when you win the toss, when to take the New Ball, when to declare; or field placement eg when does 3rd slip become short cover, and we won't even go into silly fine leg!

Trekhawk
12-01-2006, 08:50 AM
Pretty good LittleBlackDuck-ie - for a start

But would it explain LBW when the batsman is facing a leg spinner?
Also it doesn't deal well with tactics - whether to go in or stay out when you win the toss, when to take the New Ball, when to declare; or field placement eg when does 3rd slip become short cover, and we won't even go into silly fine leg!

LOL - this time I was smart enough to put my cuppa down before reading this thread.:D

Have a look at these links and they may help you sort it out.

http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s9903543/cricket-field-positions.gif

or this one might be easier to follow

http://www.nicholsoncartoons.com.au/cartoon_2135.html

:D :D

margo49
12-02-2006, 09:39 AM
The second one is brilliant!
Took me back 40 years and playing with my brother and Dad (both dead now)

light_sabe_r
12-19-2006, 09:34 PM
well we've won the ashes back... YAY like there was any doubt... And in a whitewash 3 games as well.

Oh well. England. maybe next year...

DirtDiva
12-20-2006, 01:44 AM
When the ball is bowled, the batsman obviously hits the ball or in some cases perhaps not...
Hahahahaha. This sentence fragment sums up exactly how the game of cricket works (or in some cases perhaps doesn't).

crazycanuck
12-20-2006, 01:48 AM
Thank you...I'm happy I can provide entertaining sentences about cricket..:rolleyes: :eek:

I'm actually getting a smidgen bit more interested in the game. Who knew cricket could be exciting in some way...I'd like to watch the Boxing Day test from the MCG but we could be mtn biking in Rotorua...:D

Ya know what's even more exciting than cricket...the off field tales of shane warne..:eek:

I can't go down that garden path here though...

c

DirtDiva
12-20-2006, 01:52 AM
Cricket on telly is alright, but actually being there with your mates and a picnic is the best. :cool: (Especially good somewhere with an embankment.)

margo49
12-20-2006, 02:58 AM
yeahhhhhh!

Trekhawk
12-20-2006, 12:36 PM
Cricket on telly is alright, but actually being there with your mates and a picnic is the best. :cool: (Especially good somewhere with an embankment.)

LOL - that reminds me of the last cricket match I went to.
Adelaide Cricket Ground with an esky on a beautiful summer day. Aaahhh good times.:)