PDA

View Full Version : ARGH - blister on foot

colby
11-07-2006, 06:01 PM
Some of the cycling-only ladies might be able to help with this, too, it's not strictly a running thing. I'll leave it in Running for now since that's my major issue.

After running for so long, I have a lot of callouses on my feet, and a lot of regular blister spots that come and go. They aren't really scary blisters like the ones I get on my hands if I shovel dirt all day, that pus up and when they pop make me cry (or at least yell inappropriate words loudly). Usually blisters on the feet for me end up being really hard, tough skin, are really shallow (not too puffy), don't hurt too much, and are precursors to callouses.

I have recently acquired a particularly evil blister on the widest part of my right foot. I have had small ones there that seemed to "transition" to callouses or tough skin, but nothing like this. It really doesn't bother me in my running shoes while running, but obviously my running shoes MUST be the cause, as when I take them off it looks worse, and hurts when I do put on shoes that rub (sigh, my everyday shoes). My running shoes don't really rub there until my feet swell, apparently. I really don't notice it until I stop.

Today after my run (only 6 miles even), it almost looks like it's bleeding underneath the blistered area... like it's bruised and blistered in the same place, if that makes sense. It widened a little, and is pretty funky looking. No popping or anything, though. I put some moleskin on it for today, which may or may not actually be helping, I can't really tell.

Should I be worried about the color? What should I do for regular running, continue with the moleskin? Get some of those fancy blister band-aids? Ideas welcome.

Bikingmomof3
11-07-2006, 07:14 PM
Colby,
OUCH! If the area does not improve I would most definitely have a doctor look at it. You may be causing blood blisters on top of (under) your existing blisters. It sound like your shoes/socks are not right for your feet. You should not blister that badly. :( I wish I had more advice.

kaybee
11-08-2006, 07:05 AM
Colby, you might want to consider switching shoes or socks if you're getting blisters. Obviously, something is rubbing where it should not. That does not sound like fun!

KB

Nanci
11-08-2006, 08:44 AM
This is a really great foot care book, with a lot of info on blisters. http://www.fixingyourfeet.com/

The author will also personally offer advice for your particular situation- he's very available.

Also, here is an article on the relationship of blisters/black toenails to electrolyte status. http://succeedscaps.com/blisters.html

I have run the same trail marathon three years in a row, getting nice blisters and losing toenails every year until this last, where instead of trying to watch the clock and take electrolytes I actually set a timer and took them at 30 minute intervals without missing any. I didn't get any blisters- wearing same shoes, same socks, same foot prep, same weather conditions, same course. I'm a believer.

Nanci

colby
11-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Wow, you ladies are awesome. Thanks to all of you for responding. I'm lumping my responses into one because I'm lazy. :)

OUCH! If the area does not improve I would most definitely have a doctor look at it. You may be causing blood blisters on top of (under) your existing blisters. It sound like your shoes/socks are not right for your feet. You should not blister that badly. I wish I had more advice.

It really looks like the blister area (which is expanding, but the skin is hardening, and it doesn't hurt as much today) has blood in it. Really creepy and probably pretty gross (sorry :p).

Colby, you might want to consider switching shoes or socks if you're getting blisters. Obviously, something is rubbing where it should not. That does not sound like fun!

I have been wearing the same shoes and socks, but this blister is new. I switched to some Smartwool cushioned running socks to see if there's any difference, but I miss my Injiji socks ;)

I was thinking, I think the last time I started to get blisters on this part of my foot, it was time for new shoes. Maybe it's a sign that my feet are working into the shoes "wrong" or aren't being supported anymore and rubbing in someplace they don't rub usually? I have worn these shoes since May, I think... that's 20 miles a week (let's say) for 3 months, then marathon training of 30-40 miles per week for 3 months, so about 660 miles on these shoes.

This is a really great foot care book, with a lot of info on blisters. http://www.fixingyourfeet.com/

The author will also personally offer advice for your particular situation- he's very available.

Also, here is an article on the relationship of blisters/black toenails to electrolyte status. http://succeedscaps.com/blisters.html

I have run the same trail marathon three years in a row, getting nice blisters and losing toenails every year until this last, where instead of trying to watch the clock and take electrolytes I actually set a timer and took them at 30 minute intervals without missing any. I didn't get any blisters- wearing same shoes, same socks, same foot prep, same weather conditions, same course. I'm a believer.

That's VERY interesting about the electrolytes. I lost one toenail when I first started running, and I have one that hurts when I run long distances, but I haven't lost it yet (same toenail as the one I lost but the opposite foot). It may not be a coincidence that I was low on gels the week before last and didn't take them for all of my runs.... and then the blister came. Maybe a combination of shoe support and bad habits. Hmmm. Something to think about. I'll have to be very careful about this in the future.

That book looks great as well, I'll have to see if I can find it.

yellow
11-08-2006, 07:13 PM
I never get 600 good miles out of a pair of shoes (though I've met others who squeeze that much out of them). Mine usually last 300-400 max, sometimes less if I'm running on asphalt a lot. Getting new ones may help.

I am prone to compression blisters on toes 2 and 4. To prevent it I just wrap the toes in regular ol' medical tape before every run. Just a little tape. When I do that, I don't get blisters. Have you tried wrapping the ball of your foot with one layer of tape? Of course you may want to wait until the ickiness goes away.

Oh, and my big toenails are permanently black & blue from skiing and riding and now running again. My answer to that is a nice pedicure with bomber topcoat. :p

colby
11-08-2006, 09:05 PM
I never get 600 good miles out of a pair of shoes (though I've met others who squeeze that much out of them). Mine usually last 300-400 max, sometimes less if I'm running on asphalt a lot. Getting new ones may help.

I can never tell when it's time for new shoes. I always think there should be some telltale sign, but I would wear the same shoes forever except that someone else says "wow, maybe it's time for new ones" -- then when I put them on, my feet say "AHHHHH, that's what support feels like again!"

I remember the guys at the shoe store saying something about 20 miles a week, 2 pairs a year, 30 miles a week, 3 pairs a year, 40 miles a week, 4 pairs a year, and so on. I bought one pair sometime last year, one pair in May, and am still running on those... I should probably be closer to the middle of my 3rd pair if that rule holds true.

I am prone to compression blisters on toes 2 and 4. To prevent it I just wrap the toes in regular ol' medical tape before every run. Just a little tape. When I do that, I don't get blisters. Have you tried wrapping the ball of your foot with one layer of tape? Of course you may want to wait until the ickiness goes away.

I did get blisters on the tippy tops of my toes for a while, but not in a long time. I never get blisters between my toes, but I started wearing the Injiji socks a long time ago and have for all of my long runs. I have some tender spots/callouses at the very top and bottom of my arch (where it meets the ball on one side and the heel on the other) but that's about it other than this nasty terd of a blister.

I thought about medical tape today. I got some bandaid blister specials, but I think I sweat too much on my feet, and the blister isn't in an easy spot. Last night I sweat off the moleskin, and the blister bandaids that say you can wear them in the shower but mine is already lifting up along the edges. I think tape might fix that and secure the bandaid a little better. Of course, now the bandaid doesn't fit the shape of the blister because it changed again after running today... sigh. Tomorrow is another 8 miles, then I am off Friday, so I'm hoping it will show some improvement before the weekend.

kaybee
11-09-2006, 05:51 AM
Colby, if you have 600 miles on those shoes, I'd say you definitely are due for a new pair! Like Yellow, I usually only get about 300 miles out of a pair of shoes. In fact, the last pair I bought has just a little over 100 miles on them and they are showing wear, so I'm about to buy a new pair and rotate the two pairs.

The last time I bought shoes the guy at the running store told me that if I could compress the sole of the shoe by holding it with one hand, thumb on one side of the toebox and fingers on the other side, the shoes were ready to be replaced. He did it with my old shoes, but my fingers are not strong enough to make them flex! Look at the wear patterns on the soles; that should tell you something.

Hope you figure it out soon.

KB

Bikingmomof3
11-09-2006, 07:08 AM
Colby,
New shoes are definitely in order! I luuuuve my Brooks. I bought two pair and rotate them. I went and got fitted, then looked online, found older models and closeouts of the same shoe on Sierra Trading Post and bought two sets. :cool: As for the sizing and not buying in the store, I did buy, just not for me. Oldest son needed a lot of cross country gear. I figured I shelled out enough to warrent trying a pair of shoes on. ;)

colby
11-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Colby, if you have 600 miles on those shoes, I'd say you definitely are due for a new pair! Like Yellow, I usually only get about 300 miles out of a pair of shoes. In fact, the last pair I bought has just a little over 100 miles on them and they are showing wear, so I'm about to buy a new pair and rotate the two pairs.

The last time I bought shoes the guy at the running store told me that if I could compress the sole of the shoe by holding it with one hand, thumb on one side of the toebox and fingers on the other side, the shoes were ready to be replaced. He did it with my old shoes, but my fingers are not strong enough to make them flex! Look at the wear patterns on the soles; that should tell you something.

Thanks, KB. I'll check out my shoes. Sounds like a trip to the shoe store is in order... last time I took my old pair and showed them where they were worn to try to get an idea of what I should look for in a new pair. I wear my old ones in the office when I bike to work, so I don't have to carry shoes to/from work (one less thing to worry about, at least!).

I'll have to try the test. Looking at my old shoes, they are pretty clearly worn on the soles, and I'll bet my current ones are as well. It seems like just yesterday I bought them... where do good shoes go to die? ;)

colby
11-09-2006, 06:36 PM
Colby,
New shoes are definitely in order! I luuuuve my Brooks. I bought two pair and rotate them. I went and got fitted, then looked online, found older models and closeouts of the same shoe on Sierra Trading Post and bought two sets. :cool: As for the sizing and not buying in the store, I did buy, just not for me. Oldest son needed a lot of cross country gear. I figured I shelled out enough to warrent trying a pair of shoes on. ;)

I have Asics GT-2110s now, was on GT-2100s also before that. I tried on a shipload of shoes last time I went in and the arches all felt weird, but I was "used to" the GT-2100s as it was, so of course the most comfortable thing was the GT-2110s. ;) I think I tried on a pair or two of Brooks, womens and mens, but it's all a vague memory by now (you know, those flashbacks with the frosty colored lenses, that's about what it is). I have to wear mens shoes at this point, not many womens running shoes in an EE width! Unfortunately, that means the heels all feel loose and I have a tendency to lace them too tight to compensate. The curse of the Fred Flintstone feet.

I would just buy a pair of GT-2110s online, but I always get a little bit of "grass is greener" affect with shoes. Maybe if I go try different ones on, maybe if I try the more expensive models, maybe maybe maybe... my poor husband or dad who shop with me must think I'm nuts. :)

Bikingmomof3
11-09-2006, 06:44 PM
Colby,
I tend to forget that not everyone has an easy to fit foot. :o My DH for example. The shoes he first bought to run in almost ruined his knees. Apparently they over "corrected". Now he has happy feet and knees. :) I wish you the best of luck shoe shopping (I hate trying on shoes). If your budget can handle it, when you find the shoes your feet love, buy two sets and rotate them.

kaybee
11-10-2006, 08:04 AM
Colby, have you tried Saucony shoes? I also have wide feet with average-width heels, and Sauconies always fit. Although Asics makes great shoes, they just don't fit those of us with wider feet. The Saucony model that is comparable to the Asics 2100 (which both of my running partners wear and swear by, but they have "normal" feet) is the Grid Omni, which is offered in a wide width and two stability options. I wear the "moderate stability" version and really like it. The Hurricane is also a good shoe, but is a bit heavier and more controlling. Just another option to consider.

KB

colby
11-10-2006, 12:09 PM
Colby, have you tried Saucony shoes? I also have wide feet with average-width heels, and Sauconies always fit. Although Asics makes great shoes, they just don't fit those of us with wider feet. The Saucony model that is comparable to the Asics 2100 (which both of my running partners wear and swear by, but they have "normal" feet) is the Grid Omni, which is offered in a wide width and two stability options. I wear the "moderate stability" version and really like it. The Hurricane is also a good shoe, but is a bit heavier and more controlling. Just another option to consider.

I'm not sure I have tried any Saucony shoes, I'll have to make sure that my running shoe store has them. I have to wear the GT-2100 series in mens 8EE right now, the womens wide fit and mens normal fit (both a D I think?) were too narrow. Maybe with a different shoe I could go back to the womens wide fit. The heel thing really drives me nuts, it was the FIRST thing I noticed going from the womens shoe to the mens shoe. At first I tied the shoes tighter, but that made my arches uncomfortable. After they were "broken in" it seemed to work itself out, but I notice it when wearing other shoes. Thankfully, my running shoes are the first shoes I put on in the morning.

I have the same heel problem with my bike shoes (Sidi mens shoes) and even then they feel narrow so I probably could wear the Megas... but imagine the heel on that guy.

My blister feels tolerable today, which is my day off. I can actually take normal length strides when walking in my normal (narrow) shoes. The bandaid blister pad thingies seem to help, it makes a sort of cushion around the blister. They say you can wear them in the shower and for multiple days, but I think that might be stretching it. It lifted up a little bit yesterday after my wet run (wet snow, puddles, wind) and I checked it out, it looks to be "hardening" (probably why it hurts less) and is less scary than before (the whole "blood in the blister" thing was/is scary). Fingers crossed that it goes away soon... and I'll probably be checking out new shoes this weekend.

kaybee
11-10-2006, 12:23 PM
"At first I tied the shoes tighter, but that made my arches uncomfortable." You do know how to make the "loops" at the top to slip your laces through so that your heels don't slip, don't you? Let me know if you don't know what I'm talking about I'll try to find a picture to send you. Do you shop at a specialty running shoe store?

KB

colby
11-10-2006, 12:50 PM
"At first I tied the shoes tighter, but that made my arches uncomfortable." You do know how to make the "loops" at the top to slip your laces through so that your heels don't slip, don't you? Let me know if you don't know what I'm talking about I'll try to find a picture to send you. Do you shop at a specialty running shoe store?

Loops? You mean the extra holes at the top of the shoe?

I do shop at a specialty running shoe store now. They are so much better about trying to find a good fit. I'm such a newb runner that my tastes are still evolving, though :)

kaybee
11-11-2006, 07:26 AM
Yes, you use the extra hole at the top to make a loop,which you slip your laces through. See the third example here:

http://www.aofas.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3295

KB

colby
11-11-2006, 02:32 PM
Yes, you use the extra hole at the top to make a loop,which you slip your laces through. See the third example here:

http://www.aofas.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3295

Wow. I had no idea shoe tying was such a science :)

seychelle
11-12-2006, 05:41 AM
Colby,

One suggestion about taping your feet is to first wrap it with spatting tape and then wrap it with the adhesive athletic tape so that you don't have the sticky part of the tape directly on the wound.

http://www.muellersportsmedicine.net/tape.htm

It definitely sound like you need new shoes. Also, if your feet sweat a lot, besides wicking socks, make sure that your feet are free of lotions, etc that will clog up the pores and make your sweat more. I had the same problem and figured out that the lotion I was applying the night before was the cause of the excessive sweeting.

Good luck ! blisters suck :(