PDA

View Full Version : Ride Report

limewave
11-06-2006, 01:33 PM
I love fall! This time of year, riding on the road just seems so *blah* when I could be out on my mountain bike.

Yesterday I went up to North Country Trail with DH and a couple friend of ours. It was sunny and 50 degrees--I didn't even need gloves or a wind vest.

The NCT is single track, out and back trail. Essentially you could ride for 50 miles if you wanted to, but since DH and his friend were trail running and us girls were mountain biking, we agreed to go out 60 minutes then turn around.

For some reason, as much as I love the NCT, it seems cursed. Something always goes wrong. This time, my friends seat post kept sliding down. Almost every mile we had to stop to readjust it. And she was having a hard time, just feeling weak from not taking a rest day that week. I, on the other had, felt stronger than ever and was devouring the hills and crooked turns. I felt like super-girl!

DH and friend's DH thought they were studs because they got a head start and we didn't catch them on the trail. But, seriously, they are fast runners 6 -7 minute miles on the trail. Plus, we had to keep stopping and getting out the bike tools.

On the way back, I was going pretty fast on a down hill and for some reason thought that was the best time to take off the sunglasses and stash them in my back pocket. As I was doing this, it occurred to me that it might not be a great idea to only have one hand on the bars going that fast and down a rutty, single track trail. That's when I hit something and went flipping over the bars. My bike landed on me or maybe my chest. I'm not sure, I just knew I was alive and I could move all my appendages. My chest hurt the rest of the ride, especially when I breathed :o Today my right leg is swollen and bruised from ankle to knee. I'm achey all over.

It wouldn't be mountain biking without one bad crash.

bcipam
11-06-2006, 02:37 PM
Wow be careful out there... but as my friends say, "if you ain't falling you ain't trying hard enough".

I am so looking for Fall to come... it's over 90 degrees today!!! Santa Ana winds. I hate it. I want it to be cool, now!!!! I'm sick of being how hot and sweaty! Please???? :(

emily_in_nc
11-06-2006, 03:49 PM
I am so looking for Fall to come... it's over 90 degrees today!!! Santa Ana winds. I hate it. I want it to be cool, now!!!! I'm sick of being how hot and sweaty! Please???? :(

And I'm already tired of being chilly -- send some of that heat our way in North Carolina! We were in the mid 20s over the weekend (for lows). Supposed to get a bit warmer later in the week, though...we may see low 70s for a couple of days! Too bad it's too dark to ride when I get home, though. Trainer time!

As for mountain bike crashes, I have one nearly every time I ride, it seems like. limewave, hope you heal up quickly! The only reason I haven't crashed lately is because I haven't gotten to mtb lately! :o

Emily

Artisan
11-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Sorry to hear about your endo Limewave. I seem to always have a bruise somewhere on my body...always from mtb riding. I wish I was feeling like super-girl yesterday, I did my first mtb race and didn't pace myself well. It was so much fun! I plan to do more in the spring though I don't look forward to the heat.

fatbottomedgurl
11-07-2006, 07:18 AM
OUCH! I will be thinking of you. I had a pretty spectacular wipeout yesterday too. Tried to negotiate some rocks on an uphill switchback and ended up flipping sideways, rolled over down the hill with the bike a couple times and landed in a bramble of sticks and leaves. Sounds like maybe you cracked a rib? I have a bruise over my right pec, a huge one on my right thigh, other bruises and scrapes on both legs and a big bruise in the small of my back. I second waking up achey this morning!

emily_in_nc
11-13-2006, 05:31 AM
OUCH! I will be thinking of you. I had a pretty spectacular wipeout yesterday too. Tried to negotiate some rocks on an uphill switchback and ended up flipping sideways, rolled over down the hill with the bike a couple times and landed in a bramble of sticks and leaves. Sounds like maybe you cracked a rib? I have a bruise over my right pec, a huge one on my right thigh, other bruises and scrapes on both legs and a big bruise in the small of my back. I second waking up achey this morning!

Oooh, I missed your crash post but went back to find it when you mentioned sharing our bruises. So sorry! :eek: I guess I am in good company. Isn't the healing power of the body amazing?? I keep thinking at some point mine will give out on me, but it just keeps on coming back strong.... To think I was running and feeling great last Friday, while today I'm still wincing in pain walking about and can't sleep on my left side. Hope you're healed up soon!

Emily