PDA

View Full Version : balance?!?!?

GrandPrix
04-21-2004, 01:45 PM
any tricks here other than just practicing.... i have alot of trouble removing even one hand from the handlebar - bike tends to swirve (sp?) - want to eventually be able to reach down and drink water while on bike - or at least signal to cars more than briefly....i love the look of those riders who have their left arm extended while they're turning - i'd just fall over ; )

emily_in_nc
04-21-2004, 04:13 PM
Sorry - but all it takes is practice! I'm still not perfect, but much less swervy/squirrelly after riding for over a year now. Unfortunately, just like with most other things in life, nothing good comes for free! :D

Emily

pedalfaster
04-21-2004, 04:15 PM
To drink while riding:

Grip the top (flat) part of the bar near the stem with both hands. The hands should make a complete circle around the bars, elbows should be relaxed Look straight ahead and pedal smoothly. Remove one hand from the bars, reach down with one hand and grab your water bottle. If you glance down you will tend to swerve a bit, so try to keep looking forward. Drink with the bottle slightly off to the side (corner of) your mouth. Replace bottle in cage, again without looking down.

Hope that helps :)

Irulan
04-21-2004, 04:20 PM
To drink while riding:

get a camel back, no hands required.

penny

pedalfaster
04-21-2004, 04:34 PM
Hehehe...guess I missed the obvious Irulan!

We all still need to practice our "no hands" riding though...what happens when you win that first big race??? ;)

adkoch
04-21-2004, 05:41 PM
My new triathlon bike has behind-the-seat bottle cages and I still cannot put the bottle back while in motion - any advice there???

~Angie

Dogmama
04-25-2004, 05:34 AM
I got 'em too. Practice. Your dominant hand should be better than the non-dominant hand. Remember that they go in at an angle.

Once you get it, you'll always have it.