PDA

View Full Version : Someone remind me why I like winter commuting?

lph
11-05-2006, 11:22 PM
The clothes take forever to put on. Whatever order I thread the tights/overtrouser/shoe cover/shoe combo on it always turns out wrong. Once I have it all on right I find out I left lots of stuff I need further in the house and have to either take off my shoes or tiptoe in and hope my son doesn't bust me.

Nobody bothered to shovel away the first thin snowfall we got last week, so all the roads in my neighbourhood are already covered in bumpy, rutted ice, which will stay there until May.

And worst of all - my sleek, light, fitted-for-the-road-even-though-it's-a-mountain-bike Trek now handles like a bl**dy tractor with huge studded tires on. It took ages to get to work today.

*Mope* :(

tattiefritter
11-05-2006, 11:57 PM
Don't get much snow here really in the UK (which is just as well as it only takes about a centimetre to fall and the entire country comes to a standstill) but I love the cold clear crisp winter mornings. Watching the watery sun rise, mist and cloud inversions in the fields on the way to work. The warm air hitting you as you get into work and everyone thinking you must be mad.

Having porridge for breakfast!

Keeping fitness levels up ready for next spring. If your currently riding a tractor then when you get your bike back to sleekness you'll be flying.

lph
11-06-2006, 01:36 AM
*sigh* spring is a long way away...

Porridge. Must make porridge tomorrow. Thanks :)

Toni
11-06-2006, 04:55 AM
I, too, had the same thought today.....but for a different reason. Here in Houston, we don't see much snow (if at all!) but I neglected to recharge my light last night, and about 3 miles after leaving the house....no more light :eek: Lucky for me I have been riding to work for about one month now, so I knew where I was going! I will remember to charge the light after each use.

BTW, I went to the UK in April and had porridge. BEST EVER!

I love riding to work, even with the cold wind off the Bayou, it just wakes me up and I always start my day with a positive attitude!

DeniseGoldberg
11-06-2006, 05:00 AM
...I neglected to recharge my light last night, and about 3 miles after leaving the house....no more light :eek: Lucky for me I have been riding to work for about one month now, so I knew where I was going! I will remember to charge the light after each use.
Don't forget that your lights serve not one but two purposes - your ability to see the road, and the ability of cars to see you. I hope that your commute home today (sans light) will be before darkness falls.

--- Denise

Toni
11-06-2006, 06:04 AM
I come in early just for that reason, so I can leave before darkness falls.

It was only after I read the thread about commuting in the dark that I made the decision only to ride to work when I know I can leave before the sun sets.

In the morning (at 5:30 am) there are very few cars and I am on a bike path for the majority of my commute. But in the evening there are tons of cars, so I decided not to jeopardize my life by riding home in the dark.

bikerHen
11-06-2006, 07:50 AM
Because we're just crazy enough to do it! :eek: :D I just love the looks and the shaking heads when I show up at work wet, cold, dirty, freezing and bundled up like some kinda weird snow person with flashing lights all over me and my bike.

Plus I have the added benefit of being total invigorated and full of those feel good endorfins. That's why I commute in the winter. It's just plain fun and adds to the crazy bike lady image I'm working toward! :rolleyes: bikerHen

Squeaky
11-06-2006, 08:09 AM
I've been sick for the past week and a half, and have not been able to ride (at all :eek: ). I'm still sick and the thought of cold air in my lungs is not inspiring, but I'm also to the point where another day off isn't acceptable. It's just my luck that the really cold weather is now setting in, so I'm trying to convince myself to ride at least another 2 weeks before moving the exercise indoors (ick). A virtual kick in the butt please....

Geonz
11-06-2006, 01:57 PM
When I ride by the gas stations, I am reminded why I like to ride.
When I can go out on the weekend and ride 60 miles, I am reminded why I like to ride.
When I go to bed tired, I'm glad I rode.
When my rank in bike journal keeps creeping up and I can laugh at HRLaughed, I"m reminded why I like commuting in winter.
When I don't have to find a parking place, I'm glad I rode.
When I go down to the bike shop at lunch hour and get hugs and laughs, I'm glad I commute in the winter.

When I have a TON of laundry in a HALF a day... I groan :)

annie
11-06-2006, 08:04 PM
When I ride by the gas stations, I am reminded why I like to ride.
When I can go out on the weekend and ride 60 miles, I am reminded why I like to ride.
When I go to bed tired, I'm glad I rode.
When I don't have to find a parking place, I'm glad I rode.
When I have a TON of laundry in a HALF a day... I groan :)

LOL on the last comment! And can I add couple comments?

When I see cars getting parking tickets, and my bike is parked safely inside the building, I'm glad I rode.

When I feel the wind in my face and filling my lungs, I am SO glad I rode.

When my kids walk, instead of take the car, 'cause "Mom doesn't take the car," I am glad I rode. (Yeah, I wish they'd ride, but at least they aren't totally hooked on a car. :rolleyes: )

annie

lph
11-07-2006, 09:13 AM
Hey, commuting today was fun! On my way home I came up behind a familiar back, sure enough, same guy who passed me this morning. I tag along behind him until I'm pretty certain his pace is just a bit slower than mine, then I bust out past him as fast as I can. Which only results in me pedalling like a bat out of hell and being chased for the next few km, and then soundly dropped.

He did have the courtesy to say that I "rode hard", at least. I almost exploded trying to smile back without gasping. :eek:

lph
11-07-2006, 11:56 PM
Ok, I'm back on track :) Just took me a few days to get used to a heavier bike and squishy handling. This morning was so beautiful! Light mackerel clouds, infinitely high autumn sky and golden streaks of low sun. There's no way I would have notice all that stuck inside the metro.

And I didn't meet whassisname so I didn't even "have to" race ;)