PDA

View Full Version : Hey NE girls

Surlygirl
11-05-2006, 11:59 AM
Hey you guys, any of you still out riding? Just wanted to see how everyone was?

DeniseGoldberg
11-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Still out riding? Of course!

My riding is pretty much limited to the weekends now because of the lack of daylight during my non-working hours, but my bicycles insist on continuing to roll down the road. Oh, and I cheated last week and took a vacation day on Tuesday after I saw the forecast for temperatures in the upper 60s. It was an awesome day for a ride.

I rode yesterday and today too, 24 miles each day. And I guessed fairly well at the right layers for the temperatures; my only mistake was that I should have had shoe covers on yesterday and I didn't. My toes were much happier today with the extra layer. Starting temperatures were 42 degrees yesterday and 44 today.

--- Denise

BleeckerSt_Girl
11-05-2006, 01:27 PM
Yep, still riding almost every day. I've ridden 116 miles in the past 5 days. Temps are in the 30's -50's. My layers are working well.

Crankin
11-05-2006, 03:35 PM
Hi Jody,
Yes, I am still riding, but like Denise says, mostly on the weekend. Last week I brought my bike to school and was able to get out at 2:45 on Tuesday. I am going to do this on Tuesday and Wed. this week, because it will be warm. We rode 15.7 today, but yesterday I did errands, and it looked kind of cold when I got back, so I ran (well, ran/walked). I'm finding I'm much more tolerant of riding in the cold, but sometimes my head says "the season is over." I'm definitely not in my peak shape! I'd like to stay outside this way until the end of November and then hope for at least one day outside on the road bike in Dec., Jan., and Feb. Of course by then, I hope to be X country skiing and snowshoeing. I've been to a couple of spin classes :( and I bought the Cyclo Core DVD and a trainer, so hopefully, time will go quickly until March.
Where have you been?

DebW
11-05-2006, 03:47 PM
Hello all. I rode 28 miles Saturday, around Wayland and Sudbury, up Goodman's Hill twice. Today I had to go do some trail work in the Berkshires. I'll keep getting out on the bike when I can. Maybe take it to work by car for an occasional afternoon ride.

Surlygirl
11-06-2006, 05:03 AM
Great to hear from you guys. I've been out a few times in the past couple of weeks. Yesterday I did 15 miles and my feet got a little cold at the end. I had my smartwools on but I think I need toe covers. It looks like I may get a few in this week, its suppose to be a little warmer. :D

DeniseGoldberg
11-06-2006, 05:07 AM
Yep, still riding almost every day. I've ridden 116 miles in the past 5 days. Temps are in the 30's -50's. My layers are working well.
Lisa -
Just curious... where are you in upstate New York? My folks live outside of Utica, so I'm wandering through the state occasionally (using my car as opposed to my bicycle).

And 116 miles over the past 5 days implies that you are able to get out in daylight during the week. I wish I had that option! (Let's see, I suppose I could take a couple of hours off in the middle of the day and then work later. Maybe...)

--- Denise

CycleChic06
11-06-2006, 05:18 AM
I've been too busy to ride on the weekends :( and that's the only time I can go out since it's dark before I leave work now. It's so sad, cause I really try to make time for it, but my weekends are just totally filled with stuff! I'm never home! At least I get to spinning classes during the weeknights, but it's just not the same.

This past weekend was the worst, the weather was so beautiful. I had triple booked, planning to go for a ride one day and hike the entire Skyline trail in the Blue Hills Reservation the other day, but realized I couldn't do either because of rehearsals all weekend.

Sorry, I'm just sour, and I get grumpy when I can't exercise as much as I want to.

Emily

short cut sally
11-06-2006, 06:10 AM
I too am still out riding, not daily like when it was warmer but still out there. This mornings ride was enough to convince me i needed some sort of shoe cover and that's next on my agenda for the day. 32 degrees, and the smart wools weren't enough, my toes were miserable after 8 of the 20 miles and just had to stop my ride short. Its been rainy the past few weeks so that cut down on being out, hate cold and rain together. This week has high hopes for it being in the 50's and looking forward to it. Enjoy your riding everyone, hopefully we will have a few more days to enjoy before ol' man winter sets in..

DeniseGoldberg
11-06-2006, 06:18 AM
32 degrees, and the smart wools weren't enough, my toes were miserable after 8 of the 20 miles and just had to stop my ride short.
32 degrees - brrr! Adding shoe covers works for me in the 40s, but in the 30s I find that I also need toe warmers. The ones I use are Heat Treat Toe Warmers - I usually get them at REI.

--- Denise

Crankin
11-06-2006, 07:07 AM
Wow, no shoe covers?? You guys are brave. I use toe warmers with smart wool (light weight) socks when it's below 55 or so. Yesterday I wore my Woolie Bully's with my full booties. My toes were a little cool in the beginning, but it was really perfect. I think that will be good down to 38 or so and then I'll need the toe warmers in my shoes. I was able to make my shoes loose enough so I could wear my Woolie Bully's without pain from my bunion.

It looks really nice out now, but I can't ride today, since I have meetings. I am so sore from the Cyclo-core DVD I did after my ride, I can barely move!

massbikebabe
11-06-2006, 07:13 AM
My son has a day off from school tomorrow so we are going to do errands and ride. I am so excited I could dance!!!!!!

BleeckerSt_Girl
11-06-2006, 08:36 AM
Lisa -
Just curious... where are you in upstate New York? My folks live outside of Utica, so I'm wandering through the state occasionally (using my car as opposed to my bicycle).

And 116 miles over the past 5 days implies that you are able to get out in daylight during the week. I wish I had that option! (Let's see, I suppose I could take a couple of hours off in the middle of the day and then work later. Maybe...)

--- Denise
Hi Denise,
I'm in northern Columbia County NY (near the top of the Taconic State Parkway). If you ever pass nearby we should go for a ride!- let me know.

Yes, I am very lucky in that my DH and I run a business from home, and so we can often work in the evenings and take off for a ride during the middle of the day instead. I am VERY fortunate to be able to arrange my own work hours for the most part. I often go out for a morning ride and then start work at 11am and make up for lost work time after dinner. I'm not into tv anyway.

As to cold feet.... here is the time of year when NOT being clipless has its big advantage! I use PowerGrip straps on my pedals instead of cages or clipless. As long as they are adjusted large enough, I can wear nice warm Thinsulate hiking boots and fit in my pedals just fine. I just changed over to my warm comfy boots this week after freezing my tootsies in my running shoes a few times in the 40's temps. Works for me! :)

songlady
11-06-2006, 08:41 AM
My outdoor riding took a major hit last week, between daylight saving time and the crummy rain and wind we had. Yesterday was a beautiful 32 miler, temps in the low 50's, light winds. I got a new goretex Concurve jacket at Nashbar (for $40) that makes an awesome outer layer to help block the wind, have used it with success in the 40's, no 30's to try yet :rolleyes:
I impulsively plopped down $130 for some lights today, want to try evening riding, 'cause the trainer just ain't cutting it anymore.

Surlygirl
11-06-2006, 08:58 AM
My son has a day off from school tomorrow so we are going to do errands and ride. I am so excited I could dance!!!!!!

Yeah Baby, go get em girl. You can do it!!!!

My son is home today, just had teeth pulled so no riding for me today. Tomorrow looks like it will be nice.

PAP103
11-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Hi Everyone,

I haven't been out riding much. I went out to do a 25 miler a couple of weeks ago but between the wind and the cold, I ended up doing 8. I've already lost some of the fitness I had built up over the summer. I've headed back to the gym. I've also been busy getting the house and yard ready for winter. Been doing the basic leaf clean up and we're putting on a new roof this weekend.

This getting dark at 4:30 really put a damper on my riding too. Hope you all are well and enjoying the beautiful fall here in NE!

Patty

telegirl
11-06-2006, 10:40 AM
Still riding up here - harder now, with it getting dark early, but I have a light and can still hit the trails. Almost time to put the studded tires on! But I am not getting in as many miles and now have to supplement with CycloZen and spinning dvds. Ick....

oldbikah
11-06-2006, 11:18 AM
:( Between weather, etc, and other things, I have not done much riding. (and I have put on about 3 pounds, blah)
Did a short one last week and fell and removed a large layer of skin from one arm. Had a little snow here this morning. I need to get some covers of some sort for the feet. By the way, last year I bought toe warmers for my ski gloves and found them MUCH cheaper at my local hardware store than at REI or bike or ski shops. I bought a whole box!

bambu101
11-06-2006, 12:44 PM
I have been trying to get out at least 2 days of my usual 3 day weekend ( I have a flexible work schedule, and have Fridays off). It has been tougher than it usually is to motivate myself to get all bundled up, but once I am out there, I'm fine. I have never minded the cold, but I came back from a ride this past Saturday, and there were some snow flurries! I keep thinking that "this' will be the last ride of the season, so I am planning to keep going as long as I can!

wavedancer
11-06-2006, 03:39 PM
I actually got out to ride a little bit more this past week thanks to returning to standard time. After work is out of the question, even when we were on Daylight Saving Time. (I don't get out of work until 7-7:30 many nights). I had gotten into a pretty good routine of riding for 3/4-1 hour in the morning before going to work. But that means I have to be on the road by 6AM. So now that it's light at 6:00 I can get back into that.

I went for a lovely 35-mile ride today along the coast here on the upper Cape. I've been doing more trail riding the past few weekends. Went to the NEMBA Wicked Ride of the East and had a great women's clinic on the trail where we spent time working on clearing obstacles and skills on the trail. It was great practice and just what I wanted. The women who led the clinic race for Team EMS and were very patient teachers. I hope to spend more time on the mountain bike as it gets colder and would love to hook up with anyone else who wants to do some trail riding :)

Linda

im4smiley
11-06-2006, 06:18 PM
I have been riding as well, like Denise I took a day off last week so I could ride, I took off Wednesday and did 25 miles! I went out on the weekend did 15 on saturday, meant to go out again later in the day but got busy. Sunday I did 33 miles. Also I commuted to work 3 days last week and so far once this week. I can only do Mon, wed and friday because the other days I have school and it is only about 8 miles round trip but...I get to ride!! I ride to the gym, then work out and then go to work and ride home. I am hoping for many more good weekends!! :)

tygab
11-06-2006, 08:15 PM
I rode the weekend before this one, in a race. But I really have ceased outdoors riding at this point, not sure if that's a good thing to admit. In part, just other things have come up. In part, I've got the bike hooked up to the trainer (but I could take my old HardRock out and might just do that this weekend).

I don't feel compelled to ride in colder temps, but I know once I am out there I'll probably enjoy it... just a motivation thing.

As a fun aside, I was in northern VT this weekend. Here are some observations....

How to tell the seasons in VT (and all of the northmost part of our region).
As you know there are 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter, and summer. But there are subtle signs that signal to the attuned it's now winter up there....

10. The snowblower is parked conveniently next to the drive.
9. The road cyclist you're passing is wearing every type of warm gear including a balaclava, and still looks like he's freezing.
8. The jeeps have their plow frames and even blades mounted. [Pick up trucks don't count, see, because some never even come off.]
7. The mountains are all capped with snow.
6. The ski shops are not having sales.
5. You see telemark skiers returning from their day on the mountain (no lifts are open yet).
4. You have experienced your first mountain squalls of the season.
3. The Lincoln Gap road is closed.
2. There is an eerie quiet in town that exists for only about 3 weeks all year. Cold enough to ski but no people...
and.... the number one way to know it's winter in VT:
#1.... The horses in Massachusetts have blankets!
[if you don't get this, drive around in VT for a while :D ]

Add: I could also add 'you have to turn on your headlights at 4:00'. Also, a little closer to home, I noticed my parking lot at work is now festooned with reflective poles around every bend/angle... yeah, the plow markings are out... guess they don't want to get caught off guard. As for me, my car's snow tires are going on this week...

Also, I think Thursday is looking like it'll be above 60 in many areas of MA, so those who can, plan to take advantage of it.

Crankin
11-07-2006, 03:32 AM
Got my bike at school today. I will do about 15 right after work. Looks like Thursday will be great, so I will rush home and try to get 20 miles in by dark.
Anyone else off on Friday? It's not going to be as warm, but still good cycling weather. I'm ready for a longer ride!

Robyn

songlady
11-07-2006, 04:28 AM
Isn't it good to be a teacher??? :p I am off as well, the forecast looks like low 50's and sun, VERY excited about a potentially great riding day (knock on wood)

Haudlady
11-07-2006, 05:12 AM
Wow! Just look at all of us New England gals!

Yup, still riding! Like others have said, I do most of my riding on the weekends now. I try to commute, but I'm not that confident to be riding at dusk, so now it only works if I can get out of work by 3:00. Lately I have discovered that the best way to get in rides during the week is to...

Get up at 4:30 (this is my normal time), do the horse chores... have coffee and cereal... make lunch... leave the house by 6:00 for a ride! I get back home in time for a quick shower and to head for work. This works fine for me (although it is VERY COLD at 6am :eek: ) since I can work through my lunch to make up the time.

BleeckerSt_Girl
11-07-2006, 05:54 AM
One thing I like about riding in the cold is that I get wonderful rosy cheeks that seem to last all day. :)

CycleChic06
11-07-2006, 06:38 AM
I'm actually surprised by the weather this year. This will be my 5th winter in Boston and every year except this one it has at least flurried once before Halloween. And usually there's at least one accumulating snow, even if it is just a dusting, before my birthday (which is Sunday). But this year there has been nothing! Everyone has been saying that this year is going to be a really bad winter, but it's getting a slow start. On the plus side, all you hearty souls can still be out riding. On the downside...a slow start to the snowboarding season??

Emily

Surlygirl
11-07-2006, 09:55 AM
It was great riding today girls. Get out there if you can.
Happy Birthday Emily in case I forget on Sunday! :D

Crankin
11-07-2006, 05:24 PM
If anyone is interested, there is going to be a 25-35 mile ride out of Weston center on Friday. Meet in front of the town hall. This is NOT an official AMC ride, but will be lead by AMC leaders. Intermediate level, 14-16 average pace.

Robyn

CycleChic06
11-08-2006, 06:57 AM
It was great riding today girls. Get out there if you can.
Happy Birthday Emily in case I forget on Sunday! :D

Thanks, Surly! :)

Crankin
11-11-2006, 12:13 PM
Since Karen brought it up on the other thread, let's plan a lunch or dinner. I know the busy time of year is coming up, but a fun lunch might be a respite from all of the craziness. Let's not wait until January!!! One thought is that the Tea Room at the Fruitlands is open through most of December for lunch. The view is awesome and it's not too far away for our Worcester area friends. And, the food is really good. Of course, I'm open to anything when it comes to eating....

massbikebabe
11-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Sounds GREAT Robyn...

I'm up for anything...(I don't get out much these days). I'll convince Jody to come along.

karen

DeniseGoldberg
11-11-2006, 03:31 PM
Sounds good to me too, a nice change of pace...

--- Denise

newfsmith
11-11-2006, 05:47 PM
I would love to see folks again. If it is on a week-end I could do it.

Surlygirl
11-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Count me in. Sounds like a great idea. :D

Crankin
11-12-2006, 02:02 PM
Give me some dates (Saturday or Sundays) and then I will call to make sure they are open on those dates. So far I see Denise, Karen, Jody, Jean.

Anyone else?
I will wait to hear from you all about dates.

Robyn

DebW
11-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Sounds like fun. I'm free the first 3 weekends in December.

DeniseGoldberg
11-12-2006, 06:24 PM
I can make it December 9th, 10th, or 17th.

PAP103
11-13-2006, 05:26 AM
I keep a busy schedule in December but if I'm free, I'd love to see everyone!

Patty

quint41
11-13-2006, 08:20 AM
Hi, everyone in the Northeast!

I have sadly not been riding much in the last couple of weeks. The streets around here are just a mess with acorns, leaves, twigs. We've had a couple of "gollywhomper" storms that threw a lot of tree trash down. And this week's looking at rain, rain, rain. I took my bike for a little spin on Friday and, oooh, boy, it felt good.

Also, I read in the local paper that a bicyclist was hit by a car in my town the other day. He was riding to work, doesn't remember a thing about the accident. The driver took off. Can you imagine?! NO, we do NOT have bike lanes around here. The shoulders are barely wide enough on most roads. We risk our lives road riding in Connecticut!

wavedancer
11-13-2006, 04:49 PM
I'd love to get together with y'all again. Any of the dates Denise mentioned should work.

Linda

Crankin
11-14-2006, 02:19 AM
I actually have been quite busy w/work.... damn, it's cutting into my exercise time. Anyway, I have added Linda and Patti to the list. I will call the Tea Room and see about making reservations on the 9th or 10th. If I can't do that, there is a Tea Room in Boxborough that is also very good and quite close to 495.

Will get back to you all.

Robyn

Crankin
11-14-2006, 03:33 AM
OOps, didn't mean to leave you out, Deb.

tygab
11-16-2006, 08:57 PM
So what date is this? Early Dec weekends would be good for me too, I think.
I didn't know such was being planned...

newfsmith
11-18-2006, 02:18 PM
Dec 9,10,or 17 all work for me.

Crankin
11-20-2006, 10:52 AM
OK, guys. I made a reservation at the Fruitands Tea Room for Saturday, Dec. 9th at 12:30. Right now the reservation is for 9 people. I can change it, but please let me know by Dec. 1st (next Friday).

These are the people I have included in my 9:
Denise
Tasha
Jean
Jody
Karen
Deb
Linda
Patty
myself

Lunch costs between $11-14. The food is really good and the desserts are outstanding, so you might want to plan for that (i.e. ride or walk a little extra that week!). Dress tends to be a little dressier than casual, esp. near the holidays. Not fancy, but not sneakers either.
Directions from 495:
Get off at Exit 28 and go toward Harvard (west) on Rt. 111. Go straight into Harvard center and at the stop sign, make a LEFT onto Rt. 110. Go a little bit (maybe a mile or two) and make a right on Madigan St. It is sort of a sharp right and has a very quick steep climb in the beginning and then goes up to a stop sign. Make a right at the stop sign (Prospect Hill Rd). The entrance for the Fruitlands will be on your left. Go into the driveway and there is parking ahead. The restaurant is in a building on the left.
If you are coming from 128, just take RT 2 west and get off at Rt. 111 (left exit) in West Acton. Drive straight through on 111, through Acton and Boxborough, into Harvard center and then follow above.
If anyone else wants to join, let me know ASAP. Please confirm with me that you will attend.
Thanks,

Robyn

DeniseGoldberg
11-20-2006, 11:26 AM
OK, guys. I made a reservation at the Fruitands Tea Room for Saturday, Dec. 9th at 12:30.
Thanks Robyn. I'll be there.
--- Denise

Surlygirl
11-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Excellent. See you all there. Thanks Robyn for organizing this one.

wavedancer
11-20-2006, 03:52 PM
Sounds like fun. I plan to be there.

Linda

DebW
11-20-2006, 05:21 PM
Count me in too.

PAP103
11-21-2006, 12:14 PM
I'll be there too. Looking forward to seeing/meeting you all!
Patty

tygab
11-21-2006, 04:19 PM
This sounds awesome! Got it in the calendar now. I haven't been there yet but drive by the signs frequently.

Can't wait!

newfsmith
11-21-2006, 04:20 PM
I'll be there. Thanks for setting this one up Robyn. Jean

Crankin
11-22-2006, 04:25 AM
Great, it looks like everyone is coming, so far. Just waiting to hear from Karen. I am excited about this. Denise, can you bring your camera? You are much better at electronically posting this stuff than me...
I'll be out of school in 2.5 hours and after I go to Verrill farm to get my turkey, I plan to go for a ride. It might be a mountain bike ride if it feels really cold out, but it will be a ride!

Robyn

DeniseGoldberg
11-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Denise, can you bring your camera? You are much better at electronically posting this stuff than me...

Robyn
Sure - my camera will be happy to join the party.
--- Denise

Denise223
12-02-2006, 10:21 AM
Hi NE ladies:

I've been away from the forums for a bit :( , but just saw this thread. It looks like I'm a day late to be added to the reservation list at the Fruitlands Tea Room.....
Any chance that maybe I could be added to the group?
Sounds like you guys are going to have a wonderful time meeting up with one another.
I'll PM Robyn.

Have a peaceful day.

Denise

mudmucker
12-02-2006, 12:03 PM
Hey. That sounds like fun. I'm late catching this thread but I wouldn't be able to make it anyway. It's just nice seeing that some "locals" around me are getting together. Take some pictures and post. Nice to put faces to names especially since you're so close. I used to live in Shirley and used to ride out that way in Harvard. I now live in Phillipston, and bike my way north into NH.

Crankin
12-03-2006, 06:33 AM
Hey everyone,

I am adding Denise 223 to our lunch list.
See everyone next Saturday.

Robyn

Denise223
12-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Robyn:

Thanks for answering my PM.
I look forward to seeing you all on the 9th :D

Peace & Love,

Denise