PDA

View Full Version : Sun Sensitivity Prob

lbuxx
04-21-2004, 07:58 AM
Hi, I've recently been diagnosed w/ PMLE, which is basically an "allergy" to the sun....This is very new to me and I'm wondering how the heck I'm going to get on my bike this year and do those long rides that I love.

Anyone have an idea where to find any light light weight long sleeve jerseys? poss w/ SPF built in? or if there is even anything like this on the market?

Thanks
Leslie

doctorfrau
04-21-2004, 09:39 AM
I don't know about jerseys for cycling, but LLBean carries SPF-rated fishing and "travel shirts". They may be worth a look.

Also, I read that 21% of the population of Sweden have some form or other of this. So maybe a web search would find you a cycling supplier in Sweden that carries SPF-rated gear???

Just a thought:)

Cdalekat
04-21-2004, 09:46 AM
Definitely talk to your dermatologist about sunblocks!

Also, ride in the morning sun, not the afternoon!

lbuxx
04-21-2004, 10:26 AM
I've got the 50 SPF Spectra that my dermatologist recommended.. riding in the a.m. is great, but my rides tend to last into the early - late afternoon ( I'm not the fastest, but boy am I stubborn...)

I will try the Sweden suggestion, hopefully something will come of it...

I'm still hoping this is a one-time thing or some misdiagnosis! Still trying to plan ahead though.

Thanks
Leslie

administrator
04-21-2004, 10:41 AM
There is a company called Sun Precautions that makes a full line of sun-blocking apparel:
http://www.sunprecautions.com/

We also have a summer-weight longsleeve cycling jersey from Terry, designed for people with sun sensitivities:

Terry Sunblocker Jersey (http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=3949)

bentforlife
04-21-2004, 11:07 AM
I'm fair skinned and sun sensitive also. I also take some diabetic medication that makes me extra sun sensitive. I can stay out in direct sun only 15 minutes and still look like a cooked lobster!!:eek:

Fortunately commercial sun blocks have worked well for me . The best is Bullfrog. Water and sweatproof for the most part. don't use the gel though, not sweatproof. I think I'll look into some of that clothing also. It is a bit pricey but your skin is irreplaceable. I wonder how it would be in our 100+ degrees Texas summer sun. Stayed tuned on that one.:cool:

Donna(my real name)

lbuxx
04-23-2004, 05:42 AM
Thanks so much for all of your input!

Definately ordering one of those Terry Jerseys....EXACTLY what I was looking for!

Does Terry have lightweight pants by chance? All of the long pants that I've seen are designed for winter cycling...

I'm still trying to figure out if one of my meds (or maybe a vitamin deficiency) is causing the sun reaction, but no luck yet.

Thanks again,

Leslie

bentforlife
04-23-2004, 06:22 AM
You might ask your pharmacist about any kind of precautions you should take with your meds. My dad is a pharmacist and he knows more about meds than most doctors. There are also some internet sites like WebMD, but your best bet would be the pharmacist where you get your meds. He/she could also tell you if you have any interactions between meds that could also cause the sun sensitivity problem.

Good luck!

Donna

Veronica
04-23-2004, 06:34 AM
Title 9 Sports has some nice light weight work out bottoms - no padded ones though.

Veronica

Cdalekat
04-23-2004, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by bentforlife The best is Bullfrog. Water and sweatproof for the most part. don't use the gel though, not sweatproof.

I love Bullfrog too!

betagirl
04-27-2004, 07:46 PM
Hey...I too have PMLE. It makes the spring so much fun. For me, as I get a tan it tends to get better. So hopefully you find the same to be true.

My dermatologist gave me a script for this steroid cream, which does a pretty good job. Using a good sunscreen also seems to keep this stuff at bay. I use bullfrog and it's great. I know if you have it really bad you can get a steroid shot that lasts about a month. But I'd only do that when everything else fails.

Good luck with it :)

traderjo
09-07-2004, 06:02 AM
i ordered the long sleeve blue one. love it, but be careful it can pull easily.

i have been trying to order the yellow 1 for about 1 yr! what is up? why hasn't it been in stock? do you plan on offering the yellow one in the future, or anyother color for that matter? i believe you will sell many of them.

i would love to order the team estrogen jersey in long sleeve sun block. any chance? many fair skined people out here. i even use my blue 1 to kayak .

traderjo
09-07-2004, 06:04 AM
i am writing about the terry sun block jerseys sold at team estrogen on the above reply.