PDA

View Full Version : Bike Around the Buttes

jobob
04-19-2004, 07:14 PM
Well, after V and mellissa's Epic Ride Reports, I suppose I should post mine.

I did the Bike Around the Buttes up in Sutter, which is near Yuba City, which is northeast of Sacramento.

I did ... um.... the 40 mile ride. It had ... uh ... about 300 feet of climbing. Total. :o

But the scenery was lovely !

OK, I'll go crawl under my rock now.

- Jo the under-achiever :D

Hey, maybe next year I'll do the 100 mile. I was told it had about the same amount of climbing as the 40 mile. Now that's one flat century!

melissam
04-19-2004, 09:00 PM
Jobob,

Great scenery and not much climbing?! That would be a GREAT early season century! But how is the wind?

Good job on the 40 mile ride!

-- Melissa

jobob
04-20-2004, 04:23 AM
Ah, the wind - turns out we lucked out on that. During the ride we encountered some headwinds but not too bad.
My friend (who accompanied me on the 40 mi ride) and I were told afterwards that just a day or two before the winds were up to 30 mph, and when Lee and I drove home the next day the winds were plenty strong from early morning onwards. :p

Geological factoid: the Sutter Buttes are considered the smallest mountain range in the world. They are pretty odd-looking, as you approach the area they appear as a clump of hills jutting out of otherwise completely flat land. http://www.syix.com/yubacity/sutterbuttes.html

aka_kim
04-20-2004, 09:49 AM
Not every ride needs to be epic. Quiet roads and nice scenery make for a great ride. Glad you had a good time.

Bike Around the Buttes was my very first metric century, in 1994 I think. It was so foggy and overcast that day that I never even saw the buttes! And I haven't been back, so I still haven't seen them.

Kim