PDA

View Full Version : FOR FREE- 2 lb, 7-year old Maltese to a GOOD home

KSH
11-03-2006, 08:47 AM
(As you may/may not know per another thread! Unfortunately, my Mother has decided to not take her. So, I'm getting the word out.)

I own a 2-lb, 7-year old Maltese. I love her to death, but since becoming single, I am unable to care for my baby in a manner than she deserves to be cared for. Basically, I work 12 hours a day and she has to be in a cage, alone for that amount of time.

Due to her being alone so long, she has picked up horrible habits and she is not housebroken anymore. Well, she is housebroken when I am there. But when I go to bed, she gets up and pees on the carpet. She use to sleep with me, until she peed on my chest one morning.

Honestly, I’m at my wits end, and I can’t afford doggie daycare or dog walking for her (to do it would cost me $200 a month). I want to find her a good home and is perfect for her, but I’m not sure where to start. I don’t want to take her to a shelter, even if it’s no kill, as I won’t be sure they will screen the owners very closely.

Now, as far as a good home... she needs to live with someone who is:
1) Retired, or
2) At home most of the day or who can walk her every 4 hours.
3) Without kids
4) Able to deal with a dog with some behavior issues
5) Without any other pets

I know most of you will not fit this bill, but you might have a parent or grandparent who might? If so, feel free to PM me.

Also, I live in Dallas, TX, but I would be willing to drive to give her to someone who would love her and have more time for her.

I have picture, but I am not sure how to post it up in the thread. E-mail me for a picture (you can find it via my name here- there will be a link to send me an e-mail).

lauraelmore1033
11-03-2006, 08:58 AM
There are all sorts of purebred rescue groups that can help you out. I googled "Maltese rescue" and came up with: http://www.americanmaltese.org/. As I understand it, the group can place your pup in a loving foster home and will screen potential applicants just a rigorously as they would for the adoption of a human child. I'm sure they could hook you up with the appropriate local contact.

KnottedYet
11-03-2006, 09:07 AM
Please try the rescue group for more assistance. I have a couple friends who worked with breed-specific rescue groups. They really are extremely careful to match dogs with new families, and the interim foster families are devoted and will work with a dog to get her ready for her family transition.

The breed rescues understand the breed they work with. Don't let the "Rescue" part turn you off. No-one you contact at these groups believes your doggie needs to be "rescued", it's just a label the groups use.

Best of luck! (to both of you)

chickwhorips
11-03-2006, 09:11 AM
i just wanted to say best of luck to both of you. i know how hard it is to make the decision to give up one that you love.

she will find a good home, don't worry.

DarcyInOregon
11-03-2006, 09:42 AM
An elderly friend died earlier this year. She had a 10-year-old tiny male Maltese. There was no one to take the little dog, so I brought him into my household. I learned that the constant peeing thing is due to kidney failure, a problem these little dogs tend to have if they are shut up in tiny spaces and don't get enough water and exercise. I had to take the little dog to the vet twice a week for a fluid shot. He had to be on a special low-protein diet. And the vet took constant tests checking for the kidney function. He lived with me for about 4 months and died of GI tract failure. He peed a lot because he couldn't help it, because he was in kidney failure.

My point is if you find a home for your little dog, make sure the person can afford the vet bills.

Also, when I inherited the little dog, most of his teeth were abscessed, which was a huge factor in why he got kidney failure, becasue of the ongoing infection and making it difficult for the little dog to eat and drink normally. The vet removed most of the teeth and cleaned up the gums, which improved the kidney function. But of course, the little dog died of something different.

Bikingmomof3
11-03-2006, 10:09 AM
(((((KSH))))))

I know very little about dogs. I can sympathize with you on some level. During the pregnancy with the twins the neonatologist strongly recommended we get rid of our cats. It was heart wrenching and so very painful trying to place them together, which DH did. It is not an easy choice, whatever the reason, but you are doing what is best for both of you. I like the idea of going with the rescue group.

Steph_in_TX
11-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Local group...I know you don't want to go this route, but I know someone who is involved with this group and they do pretty thorough screenings, including home visits, before they adopt out a dog. They helped me when I had to give up my cat a couple of years ago and she wound up placed in a great home. Here's the info if you decide you need it...

http://www.animalrescueklub.org/

KSH
11-03-2006, 12:57 PM
An elderly friend died earlier this year. She had a 10-year-old tiny male Maltese. There was no one to take the little dog, so I brought him into my household. I learned that the constant peeing thing is due to kidney failure, a problem these little dogs tend to have if they are shut up in tiny spaces and don't get enough water and exercise. I had to take the little dog to the vet twice a week for a fluid shot. He had to be on a special low-protein diet. And the vet took constant tests checking for the kidney function. He lived with me for about 4 months and died of GI tract failure. He peed a lot because he couldn't help it, because he was in kidney failure.

My point is if you find a home for your little dog, make sure the person can afford the vet bills.

Also, when I inherited the little dog, most of his teeth were abscessed, which was a huge factor in why he got kidney failure, becasue of the ongoing infection and making it difficult for the little dog to eat and drink normally. The vet removed most of the teeth and cleaned up the gums, which improved the kidney function. But of course, the little dog died of something different.

You were very kind to take that little dog in.

My dog can hold her pee for many hours... so I think if this was a physical problem, she would NEVER be able to hold her pee... versus... just not holding her pee when I'm sleeping and not around to catch her pee on the floor.

I have a Maltese rescue group who is going to call me at some point.

I will also check out the Animal Rescue Klub.

Honestly, my little girl is adorable... and would be perfect for a little old retired lady who wants a dog to love. I know she would go quickly. I just want to make sure she ends up in a wonderful home.

hellosunshine
11-03-2006, 01:25 PM
2 lbs!!!!!blimey,ive a gordon setter,and hes an elephant in comparison,weighed him last year,24kg at one year old and damn skinny at that,BLIMEY.

but,he is house trained,he can hold a pee overnight etc etc,but wehat i dont understand,bung him on a lead and take him for a walk and he stops at every friggling lampost,bush etc etc,walking thru the park he even cocked his leg on someones push chair!!!!!!and he was running lose at the time,ARRGH,LUCKILY,the woman laughed,i curled up in shame.......and then giggled too.

it takes courage to rehome a dog,it takes courage to admit when you are out of your depth in a situation,dont listen to anyone who condems you,they are unlikely to have really assessed the situation or appreciated yopur and the dogs unhappiness/stress.you are being very responsible and brave.

texascyclist
11-03-2006, 02:36 PM
KSH....I am very interested in seeing pictures of your Maltese. We lost our Beagle a little over a year ago (old age) and my 4 year old misses him terribly. My DH and I have been thinking a lot of finding another dog to care for. I know you said no children preferbly but he is great with animals, loves any and all kinds. Such a big heart for a little guy. Also, I live just down the road from you. I'm in Richardson, about 20 minutes from downtown Dallas. I will be more than happy to share more details about us, our home, ect. if your interested.

Take Care,

DarcyInOregon
11-03-2006, 04:51 PM
You were very kind to take that little dog in.

My dog can hold her pee for many hours... so I think if this was a physical problem, she would NEVER be able to hold her pee... versus... just not holding her pee when I'm sleeping and not around to catch her pee on the floor.

I have a Maltese rescue group who is going to call me at some point.

I will also check out the Animal Rescue Klub.

Honestly, my little girl is adorable... and would be perfect for a little old retired lady who wants a dog to love. I know she would go quickly. I just want to make sure she ends up in a wonderful home.

Hi KSH, I think a rescue group is a good solution. The rescue groups screen the prospective new owners vigorously.

A few years ago I adopted my wonderful Anatolian/Great Pyrenees dog from the Anatolian Rescue Group. I will describe to you what I had to go through in order to qualify to adopt an Anatolian. My fence had to be at least 5 feet high and more than a backyard. That was ok because I live on 50 acres and have a few acres fenced, with a sort of farm fence combined with fancy gates, but not the kind of farm fence to keep cattle in because it is built to keep doggies in, and predators out, yet have spaces in the wire for the little critters like raccoons, squirrels, rabbits and such to pass through. Then two ladies showed up to inspect the fence, the house and the property. They walked the entire fence line to see if the Anatolian could dig under or jump over. They went through the house, to make sure that where I am in the house the Anatolian had enough room to plop down and be comfortable, like my upstairs office, or the bedroom. They checked out my other doggies for temperament. They checked on the kitties' temperament. They inspected my brands of doggie food and doggie treats. They called my vet and talked to him personally. They made sure I own a vehicle that can hold the Anatolian. They called on my neighbor across the road to check up on how I am as a doggie owner. The only things they didn't ask for were my tax returns and bank statements.

Here is a photo of the little Maltese I was lucky enough to own for 4 months. He was a real sweetie. And here is a photo of my wonderful Anatolian.

hellosunshine
11-05-2006, 10:27 AM
today i rehomed my gordon setter,i havent cried but i feel like ive been runover by a sherman tank.

he was exhuberant and was draining me,i felt he was lonely despite hrs and hrs of walking and needed doogy company,plus when i went to race i always felt guilty and after any bike he was my priority,consequently im shattered thru and thru physically which meant ive experience big depressive episodes trying to fir in bike/work/dog.SOME MAY THINK IM SELFISH.i prob am,i darnet tell my family friends etc.he has gone to a wonderful doggy home where he'll have loadsa pals and fun.he was so fullsome and possessive of me i could never have friends or MEN in the house without him becoming out of control,another stress.so.........DUNO HOW I FEEL BUT IT AINT THAT GOOD,time now to get a grip on my health,ive lost weight and feel overtrained,but ive a hunch it could all be stress,consequently bike performance this week has slumped.:( and thats my moan,sorry.

KSH
11-05-2006, 01:57 PM
today i rehomed my gordon setter,i havent cried but i feel like ive been runover by a sherman tank.

he was exhuberant and was draining me,i felt he was lonely despite hrs and hrs of walking and needed doogy company,plus when i went to race i always felt guilty and after any bike he was my priority,consequently im shattered thru and thru physically which meant ive experience big depressive episodes trying to fir in bike/work/dog.SOME MAY THINK IM SELFISH.i prob am,i darnet tell my family friends etc.he has gone to a wonderful doggy home where he'll have loadsa pals and fun.he was so fullsome and possessive of me i could never have friends or MEN in the house without him becoming out of control,another stress.so.........DUNO HOW I FEEL BUT IT AINT THAT GOOD,time now to get a grip on my health,ive lost weight and feel overtrained,but ive a hunch it could all be stress,consequently bike performance this week has slumped.:( and thats my moan,sorry.

You sound like you are heart broken. But you know that you made the right decision... for him.

I'm sorry about your loss... but he is in a good home I am sure of it... and probably a better situation for him.

Good job on being an amazing doggie Mom.