PDA

View Full Version : pain between my shoulders

Barb
04-19-2004, 03:39 PM
I just started riding my road bike. It's an old Schwinn World Sport 10 speed (checked out by my LBS). I noticed that I get sore between my shoulder blades and my wieght rests more on the heels of my hands than the center of my palms. Does that sound like my top bar is too short for me?

I've been riding a hybrid that is very upright so I don't know how I should feel on this new bike! I wish my tax return would come so that I could just plunk down some cash for a proper fitting.

Dogmama
04-19-2004, 06:29 PM
Do you have drop handlebars?

Barb
04-20-2004, 04:23 AM
Yes I have drops but I was not down in them for the ride.

Irulan
04-20-2004, 07:10 AM
definatley sounds like fitting issues to me... stem length and angle, maybe handle bar width and angle also

Irulan

SadieKate
04-21-2004, 10:50 AM
A bike fittting would definitely help rule out length of top tube, stem, etc. But you also are now bent over in a more aero potion requiring more back and neck strength. Is this pain immediate or does it appear later in the your rides? Tired riders will sometimes let their shoulders and back kind of cave in between their shoulder blades. Upper body strength can help.

Also, you now have more hand positions and should be changing your position frequently. This will help with hand pain even if the bike doesn't fit quite right. Do you have any experienced roadie friends who can help with bike fit until you have the money for a professional fitting?

mel
06-29-2004, 01:14 AM
Barb,
I am also having the same issues you mentioned after just switching to a new road bike. I have been test riding a new Schwinn Fastback Comp, and have been riding a new (within a year old) Schwinn hybrid. I LOVE my hybrid, but am having a tough time adjusting to the road bike. My LBS is working with me on getting a correct fit, but I have some concerns. My hands feel like they have a lot of pressure on them. Have you had any better luck with this? I am really curious to know.

Barb
06-29-2004, 04:08 AM
My new bike fits great. It truns out I needed a longer stem and wider handle bars. There is about a 2" difference between my old bars and my new ones. I was all crunched up!I acn move my hands around more easily and I don't get the pain, even after 25-30 miles. My LBS swapped out the stem and bars at no extra charge, during my first inital fit and said they would do it again within the first month if it wasn't quite right. These guys are worth their weight in gold to me!