PDA

View Full Version : Don't hate me because I have a motor

Bad JuJu
11-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Hey, gang, I've just signed up for a training class in motorcycle riding. :eek:

But don't hate me! DH is a motorcycling man, and he's been so good to cycle with me on nice mornings when we both have time (though he's not wild about cycling like I am), that I feel compelled to at least dip a toe into HIS two-wheeled world. Not to mention that if I want to see him occasionally on sunny weekend afternoons, it'll have to be from the seat of a motorcycle.

A nice bonus is that if I find I like this motorcycling thing, and I get a motorcycle of my own, I can save gas by riding it to work occasionally. So, anybody out there ride both kinds of "bikes"?

wannaduacentury
11-01-2006, 10:53 AM
Hey, gang, I've just signed up for a training class in motorcycle riding. :eek:

But don't hate me! DH is a motorcycling man, and he's been so good to cycle with me on nice mornings when we both have time (though he's not wild about cycling like I am), that I feel compelled to at least dip a toe into HIS two-wheeled world. Not to mention that if I want to see him occasionally on sunny weekend afternoons, it'll have to be from the seat of a motorcycle.

A nice bonus is that if I find I like this motorcycling thing, and I get a motorcycle of my own, I can save gas by riding it to work occasionally. So, anybody out there ride both kinds of "bikes"?

I have a friend in my bike club that does. She just bought a motorcycle recently and she's a very fit cyclist too. Cool gal. Jennifer

bikerchick68
11-01-2006, 11:40 AM
oooh... I'm envious! I have always wanted to learn...

I have to say one of my favorite things to do while riding my bike is to pull up at a red light next to a motorcycle... and challenge them to race! I just pull up, stop next to them and say, "Wanna race?" deadpan serious... :D I have gotten some hilarious reactions! :p

Be safe and have fun! :D

Artisan
11-01-2006, 01:57 PM
I think that is fantastic that you are participating in something that he enjoys too, I'm sure he appreciates it.

I use to yearn for a street bike years back but never got one. I had a Suzuki RM 125 dirt bike that I use to ride, that was loads of fun.

What drives me crazy is seeing motor cyclist with no helmets.:eek:

Cassandra_Cain
11-01-2006, 02:00 PM
That's pretty cool JuJu.

I took a class in the stuff recently, through the MSF. It was a neat experience and I certainly enjoyed it. Buying a bike (m'cycle) is another story, but at least I know how to ride.

Haven't seen her in a while but Corsair rides or used to ride, she has a cool Harley-Davidson.

Bikingmomof3
11-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Bad JuJu I think it is fantastic that you are trying something he loves. Have fun and be safe!

7rider
11-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Hate you?
Heck, no! I'm jealous!
I would love to learn how to ride a motorcycle (I'd even settle for a super scooter - a 250 cc scooter - essentially, a small motorcyle with an automatic transmission!)! That's yet another "toy" that DH and I want to add to the list - after the convertible, the sailboat, etc. Oh....and after we remodel the kitchen, the bath, build that deck. You know....it goes on and on!
Have fun, be safe, but don't enjoy it too much. We don't want you hanging up your bicycle for good!! :D

chickwhorips
11-01-2006, 03:08 PM
i'm very jealous! i've wanted to go through the class and get my license for a long time. even have my bike picked out, i'm thinking in yellow.

Bad JuJu
11-01-2006, 03:24 PM
Cool motorcycle, Chick. What kind is it? Yes, yellow would be lovely.

No worries, Regina--I'm not ABOUT to hang up my bicycle.

chickwhorips
11-01-2006, 03:32 PM
its a HD Dyna Low Rider

Pax
11-01-2006, 04:01 PM
I've had a motorcycle since I was 12 (1972), if you have any question about the sport don't hesitate to ask and I'll be more than happy to help.

My current ride is an '05 VStrom, here's a pic of the day I picked it up (28 balmy degrees out and an hours ride from home,brrrrrr)...

http://QB.smugmug.com/photos/42440811-M.jpg

pll
11-01-2006, 04:44 PM
Not exactly a motorcycle, but I dream of one of these...

Kitsune06
11-01-2006, 07:09 PM
Here's DG's bike...
http://pics.livejournal.com/arynsylverfox/pic/0000k7w8
I got it for her for her birthday, a few months early so I could get it up and running, but what should've taken a few days has taken a few months because the parts are a pain in the a$$ to come across and expensive to boot.

1980 Honda CB650 Custom
Work done: valve job, various cleaning etc, cleaning all the jets in the carbs because they were gummed up... Ran on cyl 1 and 2. 3 and 4 fired occasionally, when the throttle was opened. The pilot/idle jets on 3 and 4 were gummed about shut, so they're "getting the love"... still have to order the (EXPENSIVE!) gasket kits for the carbs and rebuild the butterfly throttle thingum (so professional!) to get 'er put together again, and then ideally hook 'er all up to make her run pretty again, and assess the slow oil leak at the head gasket. It's stopped after refilling it (maybe it needed to swell the gasket again?) but we shall see.

Aluminum engine blocks- You're *going* to strip a screw... just wait. :rolleyes:

pyxichick
11-01-2006, 07:50 PM
Juju,

I have a motorcycle, but since I've started riding a bicycle, I always find that if it's a nice day for a motorcycle ride, it's also a nice day for a bike ride, and I choose the latter.

It is fun though, to have a motor. You'll like it. It's way better than a car.

Have fun and wear a helmet!

Kate ;)
(Suzuki GS500E)

Xrayted
11-01-2006, 08:07 PM
Oh, how can I possibly resist posting on this thread? ;) I've been riding since I was 4. I could ride a MC before I got my training wheels off my bicycle. I had a little 50cc Suzuki that just kicked azz. Well, at least it felt like that to a 4 y.o. I graduated to a 150cc Yamaha dirt bike over the years. Then a 250cc Suzuki "enduro" which is the term for a dirt bike for the road. Then I got my Harley 883 Sportster. Of course, we know what happened there. :o
I still jump on a 125cc Suzuki and head into the woods on a trail we have pounded down over the years. I miss the road, but while my Mom is still alive, no road bikes of the motor nature. I love her too much to put her through that again. (I give her scant details of riding my bicycle as it is.) I've got a convertible instead for when I need to feel the road and wind in my hair above 25 mph.
Good for you for taking the rider course. I took it at the Harley factory in York about 15 miles away from my house when I got my girl. I rode Blue Streak there and then they had us ride their bikes during the class. It was a great class and I learned a lot.
Ya know, if I can find a good pic of me on my Harley, I'll scan and post it for ya. It might be kinda fun. (and therapeutic)

Good luck JuJu and I hope you enjoy "the other white meat" in cycling.:D

X.

roguedog
11-01-2006, 08:21 PM
Wow.. this is cool.

When I got the job close to home I was debating motorcycle, scooter or bike. In the end I got the bike and I've surprised myself how much I love it.

I've always wanted a motor 2 wheeler though so maybe sometime in the future. Right now I've got a list like Regina's! Well, with the remodel the house further up front. Like Xrayted, I got myself a convertibel to satiate the wind in the hair thing.

Thanks for starting the thread and have fun. Be safe.

Bad JuJu
11-02-2006, 05:04 AM
Wow, I'm really feeling the love here--thanks for being so supportive and helpful, you guys! Who knew so many of us were biker chicks in more ways than one? ;)
I love hearing about your experiences and seeing your motorcycles, esp. since I hope to be shopping for one soon. Kit, it sounds like you got a real fixer-upper, but such a sweet thing to do for your sweetie!

The course I'm taking is given by HD, too, Xrayted, though a local shop, not the factory. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

And yes, we have other things to do with what little bit of money we have, but there's something about hitting your 50s--the little voices in your head that once told you that the carpet needs replacing and the house needs painting and the kitchen needs remodeling are NOW saying things like "Scr*w the house--get out there and enjoy life." I love that little voice.:D

Xrayted
11-02-2006, 05:28 AM
And yes, we have other things to do with what little bit of money we have, but there's something about hitting your 50s--the little voices in your head that once told you that the carpet needs replacing and the house needs painting and the kitchen needs remodeling are NOW saying things like "Scr*w the house--get out there and enjoy life." I love that little voice.:D

My little voice hit when I turned 30. I had the money but not the time to listen. Now at 37, I've got the time but not the money. I bought the bike anyway. Slightly used. (Thanks doc for having a short attention span and too much money to care.) You'll love riding MC. And there are some truly cute helmets out there to boot.:D I always liked the open faced half bucket. They come down just to the top your ears. True Harley style.

Good luck in the class. Have fun with it. (still trying to locate a pic. Not sure where I put those.)

X.

cooper
11-06-2006, 10:00 AM
I have also always wanted to learn to ride a motorcycle, and took the MSF class last year through the local Harley dealer. Taking that class was the best thing I could have done. I had never been on a motorcycle, but came out of that class loving it. You learn alot, and that there is always alot more to learn. I got a VStar 650 shortly after the class and have now been riding for two seasons. It is alot of fun - good luck with it!

run it, ride it
11-06-2006, 06:15 PM
Your motorcycle will never be as cool as my sexy Oldsmobile minivan... who am I kidding? RIDE ON!

Xrayted
11-07-2006, 05:52 PM
Aha. Well, I finally found and scanned a few pics of my Harley but most of them I can't put on here for various, um, reasons But here's two, I cropped one to protect the guilty. :cool: So here's my little Blue Streak... man, I miss riding her.

(and NO you can't see the original that shows what's going on in the backround :rolleyes: )

Hope you enjoy your new love too.

X. :D