PDA

View Full Version : Surf City #2 -- Costume Cross

velogirl
11-01-2006, 10:14 AM
No time to write a real race report right now. It was a great race and I think the hardest I've ever raced. The course was fabulous with the longest run-up I've ever done and lots of flat power sections and the "blair witch swirly."

I raced Bs and noticed that many of the women are really aggressive. The Bs and masters raced together. I was in a pack of six women for the entire race, first time I remember being in an actual pack. I got elbowed off my line twice and pushed into a pole once early in the race (by the leaders)! Sheesh! I guess I should be more aggressive.

The Bs was a super-close race, with almost everyone within two minutes of the 2nd place girl (the first place girl belonged in the As and was way ahead of everyone else). I was much better at the technical stuff and got slowed down behind three of the women so I decided I had to pass them. I was able to pass three of the group of six early in the race by just powering on the flats. I blew it on one turn, went in way too hot and ended up riding in a pile of woodchips while two of my competitors rode away from me. On the last lap, I got lapped by the leader of the As at a really bad spot. I had to actually stop and let her go because there was no room for both of us. The girl behind me by about 5 seconds didn't have to stop and rode by me. This kinda demoralized me and I was never able to catch her again. Our little group of six all finished within one minute of each other. I felt very competitive, but just couldn't pull it out when it really mattered. Oh well, good race all the same and I was able to hang with the women who usually beat me by 3-4 minutes.

The highlight of the day, of course, was the costume race. So many great costumes. Here's me. Three friends and I were the go-go girls. We rode two laps in 4 inch heels, including barriers, mounts, dismounts, and run-ups. We won the best group prize.

Adventure Girl
11-01-2006, 10:46 AM
That's groovy!:D

E2theD
11-01-2006, 10:50 AM
HOT MAMMA!!! YOWSER!!! You did a run ups in those heels?!?

I can't get a little cheer out of my head after your post. "Be Aggressive, Be Be Agressive!" We can make it our chant for the upcoming race ;)

:p Erin

miffy'sFuji
11-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Great costume! and congrats on winning the group prize. :)

SheFly
11-01-2006, 11:45 AM
Sounds like a tough but fun race! And the costume is terrific. Congrats on both the race, and being able to do run-ups and barriers in that outfit (and those boots :eek: ).

SheFly

eteamer
11-01-2006, 01:13 PM
Hey Lori, did you know the winner of the B's has been riding bikes for like a year and does not have an athletic background? Scary eh?

velogirl
11-01-2006, 01:19 PM
Yup! She took one of my clinics last spring and was a natural. She's got a good future ahead of her if she decides to pursue it.

Were you there, Allison? We need to introduce ourselves to each other somtime.

chickwhorips
11-01-2006, 01:50 PM
love the costume and i'm impressed you did laps in that outfit! you are talented!

Cassandra_Cain
11-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Geez louise man, I can't imagine even being so much as able to sit on my bike with heels and my candy pedals. Eh, probably a good thing I don't own heels.

Elbowed off? Pushed into a pole? Who says fall racing is easy huh?

That rather sucks about getting passed in that narrow section - it vaguely reminds me of being passed by someone while you are just clipping in after a light turns green!

Anyway, this cross stuff keeps coming back to tempt me. We have a series locally that's running well into december. I keep thinking about doing a race but obviously I have no c-x handling skills to speak of. Just as importantly, I can't justify buying a real cross bike now. I'll just have to bide my time till the crit's start next spring and live vicariously through these types of posts on TE....

eteamer
11-01-2006, 02:16 PM
I was not there. I have this painful conflict on Sundays in Santa Cruz. There is a really fun long standing group ride (mt bike) at a friends house that I need to do whenever possible. It is also where the Halloween Party was and where we spent the night....Still conflicted about it 3 days later! And this weekend I am going to fight for a mid pack finish in Colorado. Hoo boy! I'll give ya a run down on my return. I should be at the next VB I think.

spokewench
11-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Great costume velogirl! And, you are right aggressiveness is key. I ride women's expert mountain bike so I've run into my share of aggressive riders later in my career of bike racing. What I found works for me but this is my personality anyway. I'm not super aggressive on my own so I've learned that placement on the trail is key. If you look like you aren't going to let someone pass, they won't. If you get off to the side a little, they will take the chance. Sometimes you can't avoid this cause for instance if you blow a turn or something like that and go off trail by accident. Of course, you can take this too far and just block trail when someone else is obviously way faster and you just need to let them go. But, it does help when you are racing someone near your own ability - subtlely it's called blocking! I've held off people by doing this and won races, but like I said you can't take it to the extreme.

Also, when certain people get real aggressive with me, it usually gets me really angry (My personality coming out) so it will usually give me that extra competetive edge to go back and get them back. If they pass me aggressively and push and take me by surprise, I sprint past them and make sure I'm not taking any prisoners either. The real aggressive ones will get the idea not to mess with you again! The real stupid ones never learn (but those are usually guys!! in my experience)

telegirl
11-02-2006, 11:20 AM
WOW:D