PDA

View Full Version : Poolesville (or...?) ride, Sunday 11/19

Kalidurga
11-01-2006, 09:30 AM
Over in the Southeast forum, aicabsolut kicked off the idea of a road (or...?) ride on the morning of Sunday, 11/19. So far, we're thinking a short (25 miles?) ride, possibly around the Riley's Lock/Poolesville area of MD, beginning probably about 9:30 and ending before 1:00. If anyone's interested or has suggestions, let's firm up this plan.

:D

7rider
11-01-2006, 09:42 AM
Count me in as a definite "maybe."
I'm off all that coming week from work, and plan on heading up to CT to visit family, but I may leave on Monday, the 20th. A nice ride before I head out would be great!

HillSlugger
11-01-2006, 09:50 AM
Count me in as long as Mother Nature graces us with decent weather.

aicabsolut
11-05-2006, 10:35 AM
Over in the Southeast forum, aicabsolut kicked off the idea of a road (or...?) ride on the morning of Sunday, 11/19. So far, we're thinking a short (25 miles?) ride, possibly around the Riley's Lock/Poolesville area of MD, beginning probably about 9:30 and ending before 1:00. If anyone's interested or has suggestions, let's firm up this plan.

Count me in as long as Mother Nature graces us with decent weather.

Yes, road please :). I don't have a preference for which day on the weekend--I tend to do my rides on Sundays because my usual riding partner has an art class on Saturdays--not sure if the class is running that weekend for her.

That should work for me.. I'll post if anything comes up with school or job. 25 miles is about the longest ride I've done so far, and it was very hilly. Depending on the hills and pace, I shouldn't have a problem with this trip (did the other ride in under 2 hrs)....I'm just worried about getting lost! I've been slacking some on workouts but not too out of shape.

I am fine on country roads with low to some mid level traffic; in fact, I prefer that to dealing with Georgetown/FB and the multiuse trails.

As for the getting lost stuff, when we nail down a plan, if someone could PM me detailed directions about the start point, where to park, cue sheet maybe. I can get to any major way out of town (Wisc, Conn, Ga, beltway, etc. but up in MD I don't really know where I'm going).

Kalidurga
11-05-2006, 04:41 PM
The Peach Tree Loop (http://www.bikewashington.org/routes/peachtree/index.htm) that Nicole and I did today is a good one, though it was very challenging for me. And the starting point at Riley's Lock is easy to get to from DC.

I would definitely love to join everyone on the 19th, but either y'all will have to be willing to stop and wait for me occasionally, or we need to find a slightly easier route. The gearing of a road bike definitely handles the hills of MoCo better than my 'cross bike. (Uh, yeah, it was the gearing that made it a hard ride! That's my story, and I'm stickin' with it! ;) )

aicabsolut
11-06-2006, 01:21 PM
I would definitely love to join everyone on the 19th, but either y'all will have to be willing to stop and wait for me occasionally, or we need to find a slightly easier route.

I won't drop you if you don't drop me :). By the way, talked to my usual cycling partner today and she's up for the 19th as well.

7rider
11-06-2006, 05:30 PM
I think at this point I'll have to pass on the ride on the 19th.
It's been about 1.5 weeks since I had been to my chiropractor, and frankly was about to give up on chiro in favor of "western" medicine (i.e., drugs) - but a week of that is offering me no relief, either. So, I'm back with my chiro for PT - major massage on my arm and neck. He thinks it all comes from my bike, with computer time thrown in for good measure. So...after all that...I'm off the bike for the foreseeable future (since I work at a desk job and can't give up the p.c. so easily). :mad:
(In the meantime, my DH surprised me with an I-Joy massage chair! Ooooo, it is SOO cool!)
Hopefully, I'll be able to ride after the new year...but then, I may want to do nothing but ski at that point! And I'm hoping against hope that I can have my LBS re-look at my fit on my bike and see if something is amiss. It was just re-fit to me after my rebuild, but I dunno. DH thinks I need a custom Seven, but Lord knows I don't want to spring for that!!!
So...have fun on the 19th. I wish I could be there with you.

Kalidurga
11-06-2006, 05:31 PM
I found this less hilly, 22 mile route around Poolesville (http://routeslip.com/map.php?map=6903). On the cue sheet it starts in Poolesville, but mile 11.37 is just up River Rd from Riley's Lock so we could certainly start there instead (though that means heading up the killer hill right off the bat). Does this sound good for the 19th, or do the rest of you ladies prefer something longer &/or tougher?

HillSlugger
11-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Hi,

Kali was poking around the Routeslip.com "Discover a Route" and found a nice route in Poolesville. It starts at the Poolesville high school and makes a 22 mile loop. The terrain is a bit flatter than the Peach Tree loop. You can check it out: Poolesville Loop (http://routeslip.com/map.php?map=13467) (I copied it to my route list so that I could properly label an unmarked turn). The website is having a little server problem tonight so it may not be readily accessible. I'm definitely in favor of this route.

Nicole

PS I guess this post crossed in the ether with Kali's

Kalidurga
11-06-2006, 05:41 PM
So...after all that...I'm off the bike for the foreseeable future (since I work at a desk job and can't give up the p.c. so easily). :mad:
DH thinks I need a custom Seven, but Lord knows I don't want to spring for that!!!
So...have fun on the 19th. I wish I could be there with you.

Ah, Regina, I'm so sorry. I know how upset I'd be if I had a physical issue of that sort that prevented me from doing stuff I love :( I hope that either the chiro or the regular dr can figure out the source of your problem, or that your LBS can help you modify your bike in some way. In spite of not wanting to shell out the bucks for a new bike, have you ever thought of trying a recumbent? I don't know if this is a long-term chronic problem for you or something new, but if it sticks around I'd think a 'bent could be a lot easier on your back and shoulder.

aicabsolut
11-06-2006, 06:10 PM
I know how it is to have your body all out of whack. I could really use some massage and readjustment myself.

I was concerned about the hills on the Peachtree Loop, but it's hard to tell. I don't mind long. I prefer flat, but only because I'm better at it (obviously), but what's the fun in just doing easy stuff? But I don't want to have to get off and walk.

Can someone look at this loop (http://routeslip.com/map.php?map=13522) and tell me how it might compare? (I'm not good with the elevation thing). Seems harder than the proposed alternative. How is it compared to Peachtree?

A hill right off the bat in the cold morning isn't fun. But easy parking is nice. I'm flexible. Is there an easy way to add a few more miles onto the less hilly route?

HillSlugger
11-06-2006, 07:03 PM
I know how it is to have your body all out of whack. I could really use some massage and readjustment myself.

I was concerned about the hills on the Peachtree Loop, but it's hard to tell. I don't mind long. I prefer flat, but only because I'm better at it (obviously), but what's the fun in just doing easy stuff? But I don't want to have to get off and walk.

Can someone look at this loop (http://routeslip.com/map.php?map=13522) and tell me how it might compare? (I'm not good with the elevation thing). Seems harder than the proposed alternative. How is it compared to Peachtree?

A hill right off the bat in the cold morning isn't fun. But easy parking is nice. I'm flexible. Is there an easy way to add a few more miles onto the less hilly route?
The Peach Tree loop averages 50 feet of climbing per mile. I consider that a fairly challenging route. The Poolesville loop averages about 40 feet climbing making it a bit easier. This loop you're asking about has just over 63 feet of climbing per mile making it a quite challenging route.

We might be able to add a few miles to the Poolesville loop. What do you have in mind?

aicabsolut
11-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Whew! I'm glad it's not steeper than the other one (I asked a former Ironman competitor what would make a good beginner, low traffic route in that area. She warned me about the dangerous steep downhills but failed to mention most of the steep inclines! :eek: ).

Looks like you could add a bit on to the lower left hand corner of that alternate route. The 25 miler would be ok with me, though, considering that I'm not in as good shape as I was about a month ago when I did the Cville loop. But I don't know what the intersectoin/traffic situation is like around Poolesville. I trust the rest of you to make a fun decision. :)

I really need to get off my butt and get a computer, and one w/ an altimeter.

Kalidurga
11-07-2006, 03:25 AM
Looks like you could add a bit on to the lower left hand corner of that alternate route. The 25 miler would be ok with me, though, considering that I'm not in as good shape as I was about a month ago when I did the Cville loop. But I don't know what the intersectoin/traffic situation is like around Poolesville. I trust the rest of you to make a fun decision.

Ack, that Charlottesville route gave me an asthma attack just looking at the elevation profile!

There's a very little bit that could be added on the lower left of the Poolesville 22 mile route. Instead of making the right on Mt Nebo at mile 16.5, you can continue straight on River Road. Where the road bears right at that little triangle, though, is a curvy hill that I've sometimes had to shift my car down into second gear to get up. I dunno if I wanna ride it. The other option is to make a left at Edwards Ferry Rd at mile 18.95, swing down and check out the view of the river (remember that from our C&O ride, Nicole?), then back up to pick up the route again. Either of those probably adds just over a mile. Starting at Riley's instead of in Poolesville also adds almost a mile.

As I pleasantly learned this past weekend, there apparently aren't as many drivers like me out in that area as I expected ;) so the traffic is no big deal. We'll see the most cars in Poolesville (which is a tiny little town) and on the 5 mile stretch of River Rd (where there's a 50mph speed limit but it's fairly wide). And that area is soooo popular with cyclists that I guess folks out that way are used to us.

aicabsolut
11-07-2006, 07:18 AM
Well that route gave me a few panic attacks when I thought, "Am I going to have to walk? How do I stop and unclip uphill without falling? I can't walk. Must keep going. I'm going to die. Whew! Made it. Oh no, there's another one." There is one section that my friend calls the "racecourse section" because you can get in a big gear and really fly. It just about makes all the torture worth it.

If there's decent parking at Rileys Lock, then that sounds like a good start point to me...Shortens the drive time a little too getting out there. And yeah, would be good not to cycle up a hill you have to downshift to get up in your car!

Totally O/T question, but your comment about River Road got me thinking.. If you were in a city where cycling isn't too common but the only long routes with not too much stop and go are on some pretty major causeways with 45-55 speed limits (usually meaning cars are going at least 60-65), would you ride them? (nevermind that one of them has a drawbridge that probably means walking across for the grooves). Would it matter if it was 2 lane or 4 lane (easier passing)? And mostly flat? I'm trying to think about what I could do when I go home to coastal Georgia over the winter holidays.

HillSlugger
11-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Well that route gave me a few panic attacks when I thought, "Am I going to have to walk? How do I stop and unclip uphill without falling? I can't walk. Must keep going. I'm going to die. Whew! Made it. Oh no, there's another one." There is one section that my friend calls the "racecourse section" because you can get in a big gear and really fly. It just about makes all the torture worth it.

If there's decent parking at Rileys Lock, then that sounds like a good start point to me...Shortens the drive time a little too getting out there. And yeah, would be good not to cycle up a hill you have to downshift to get up in your car!

Starting at Rileys Lock will add about 2.6 miles total and about 150 feet of climbing right off the bat, before your legs have had a chance to warm up. It's doable, but not much fun. Check it out (http://routeslip.com/map.php?map=13595).

Totally O/T question, but your comment about River Road got me thinking.. If you were in a city where cycling isn't too common but the only long routes with not too much stop and go are on some pretty major causeways with 45-55 speed limits (usually meaning cars are going at least 60-65), would you ride them? (nevermind that one of them has a drawbridge that probably means walking across for the grooves). Would it matter if it was 2 lane or 4 lane (easier passing)? And mostly flat? I'm trying to think about what I could do when I go home to coastal Georgia over the winter holidays.
I have no problem (mentally) cycling on two-lane roads with a double yellow in the middle, or even limited riding on a four-lane divided road, providing that it's pretty continuous without a lot of busy intersection, active business driveways, etc. Of course, many riders have no problem at all in commuter traffic, etc. It's all about what you can deal with.

The issue of flat vs hilly is firstly an issue about ease of the biking effort and secondly an issue about visibility: how easily you can be seen by motorists. A flat but winding road may be more dangerous than a straight but hilly road.

Kalidurga
11-07-2006, 09:16 AM
Starting at Rileys Lock will add about 2.6 miles total and about 150 feet of climbing right off the bat, before your legs have had a chance to warm up. It's doable, but not much fun.

So, we get the worst out of the way right in the beginning. aicabsolut can either spin her way to the top of the killer hill with Nicole, or stop with me at the turnoff to Montevideo to take a breather before finishing it.

I guess this means we're now officially doing a 27 miler on the 19th?

aicabsolut
11-07-2006, 10:34 AM
The issue of flat vs hilly is firstly an issue about ease of the biking effort and secondly an issue about visibility: how easily you can be seen by motorists. A flat but winding road may be more dangerous than a straight but hilly road.

True..I hadn't thought of that. I was mostly thinking about pace difference and visibility coming over a hill, and how much time an approaching car has to pass, particularly when those "hills" are really bridges with no shoulders...not that a few mph on my part would make a lot of difference when they're going 50+.

aicabsolut
11-07-2006, 10:40 AM
So, we get the worst out of the way right in the beginning. aicabsolut can either spin her way to the top of the killer hill with Nicole, or stop with me at the turnoff to Montevideo to take a breather before finishing it.

Good lord that looks rough. Umm... whatever y'all want to do....I'm sure I could find the other possible parking locations. BTW, my name is Catherine.

HillSlugger
11-07-2006, 11:00 AM

The Poolesville loop is about 22 miles. If we add Rileys Lock we're nearing 25 miles.

We could still start from Poolesville HS and maybe add some distance where you've mentioned. It would not be much further to the start for you or me, but it would add considerably for Catherine.

I knew that starting hill was an effort but I didn't realize how big an effort until I saw it all by its lonesome like this. Let's give up the big ride and just do hill repeats ;)

I guess I'd favor a less strenuous route where we'll have a better chance of staying together and biking with less stops. I really didn't mind waiting for you except that my legs kept tightening up.

aicabsolut
11-07-2006, 11:40 AM
It takes my muscles ages to warm up, and they do tighten up quickly at a stop too, so some way of sticking together sounds like the best plan. I'm going to have a pretty long drive anyway, because I'm going to grab my friend who lives waay off in NE DC on the way, because she's less experienced driving around here and I'm spending all this time online with the maps. But the drive can be done. Are there any other convenient shopping centers, post offices, schools, along the loop?

My main goal out of joining this ride is to be able to just get on and go for a decent amount of miles without all the slowdowns of intersections and multiuse trails. I need to work on endurance, while my trail riding often feels like spin class with lower heart rates.

7rider
11-07-2006, 04:24 PM
May I butt in here with some unsolicited advice? And I only do this because I was (am?) the same as you regarding hills - and still not convinced I'm not an exercise-induced asthmatic.

Big thing: Don't let hills psych you out. Think of them as a CHALLENGE!!! Embrace hills as your friend or they will continue to hurt you.

Another thing: I forget if the Riley's Lock parking lot is gravel or paved, but it might be good to do a bunch of laps in a LOW gear, spinning, before you start your ride to warm up. If it's cold out, just think of how toasty warm you will be when you hit the top of that first hill! :D

Yet another thing..and this is something my DH told me, and I told a good friend of mine to almost too much success (she's become a much better climber and now beats me up more than a few hills!). "Be like Lance" on the hills. If you've ever watched videos of Lance Armstrong climbing L'Alp de Huez, the one thing the annoucers will all comment on is how he spins his legs at a high cadence - especially compared to the famously big gear masher of Jan Ulrich (which is how I tend to climb...I'm Jan at heart).

Lastly, gear down and pedal circles. Don't pedal UP and DOWN...pedal circles. Move your feet like you are scraping dog-doo off the bottom of your shoe. It's really the most efficient pedal stroke and is much kinder on the quads (and it calls the hamstrings into doing some work, those lazy buggers).

(edit: Oh, and another thing the owner of my LBS told me: Don't have a death grip on the handle bars when you're climbing. Move your fingers like you're playing piano up on the flats of the bar to make sure you're really loose. It keeps your chest open and allows your lungs to fill with air to get oxygen to your muscles (Again...like Jan, I tend to climb in the drops. Ugh).

Have fun most of all! It's not a race, so enjoy. Wish I could go with you, and I may just say "To h*ll with it!" and go anyway....we'll see what kind of miracle my chiro can work over the next two weeks.....

Regina

p.s. Gasp! Kali...I never even considered a 'bent! You had me thinking about that all day today.....Nothing against recumbents....but I hope not! I don't think I'm ready to take that plunge just yet!

aicabsolut
11-07-2006, 07:17 PM
All great advice. :)

Couple thoughts:

When my legs aren't warm, my core temp sure gets all toasty and I sweat like a maniac on that first hill, but my quads are still saying "wha...?" I'm all in favor of a real warmup. :D (My physoitherapist agreed that my leg muscles take a WHILE to get warm and loose).

If only I were built for climbing, it might not be such a fight. ;)

A challenge, eh? Is that a dare?

It'd be great if you could come too, but please don't hurt yourself!!

Kalidurga
11-08-2006, 03:09 AM
Bicyclists Anonymous confession time: My name is Tam and I love to take breaks on my rides... ;)

Seriously, though, I do like to stop or slow down periodically on my rides, not only to give my body a rest, but also just to soak in my surroundings and enjoy the view. Since you ladies are much more serious about training than I am, and there's more chance of stiff muscles because it's chilly out, and because I have some time constraints since I'm meeting my family that afternoon, I'm gonnna bow out of the ride on the 19th. I very much want to ride with you all in the future, but it might be better to wait until either the weather's warmer or sometime when a more leisurely ride (with breaks! :D ) would be appropriate for all of us.

"Be like Lance" on the hills. If you've ever watched videos of Lance Armstrong climbing L'Alp de Huez, the one thing the annoucers will all comment on is how he spins his legs at a high cadence - especially compared to the famously big gear masher of Jan Ulrich (which is how I tend to climb...I'm Jan at heart).

That's too funny... I can't tell you how many times I've thought about my form using the Lance/Jan comparison! I'm usually more of a Lance, spinning at 90rpm or more, but I think I've realized that my cardiovascular system just can't handle that on hills or for long distances. I have to figure out how to increase my strength in that area (without aerobics- Yuck!) or maybe spend more time as a Jan.

p.s. Gasp! Kali...I never even considered a 'bent! You had me thinking about that all day today.....Nothing against recumbents....but I hope not! I don't think I'm ready to take that plunge just yet!

Now, when you say you're not ready to take the plunge, I hope that means financially. On behalf of all the 'bent riders I see out there, I hope you're not saying it would be a "plunge" in training or fitness or riding style... ;)

HillSlugger
11-08-2006, 06:37 AM
Bicyclists Anonymous confession time: My name is Tam and I love to take breaks on my rides... ;)

I'm gonnna bow out of the ride on the 19th. I very much want to ride with you all in the future, but it might be better to wait until either the weather's warmer or sometime when a more leisurely ride (with breaks! :D ) would be appropriate for all of us.
Kali,

I'm used to doing all of my riding alone and basically pushing myself pretty hard but I want to also do more fun rides with others where there is more emphasis on socializing and appreciation of my surroundings. I'm trying to separate these in my mind so that the latter does not turn into the former. When I'm on the road I guess I'm still in a go-go-go mentality. I need to work on this and I thought the Poolesville loop would be a good compromise. Any chance you'll reconsider?

That's too funny... I can't tell you how many times I've thought about my form using the Lance/Jan comparison! I'm usually more of a Lance, spinning at 90rpm or more

I'm working at being a Lance but have trouble sustaining the speed and cadence on longer/steeper hills.

I'm still interested in doing the Poolesville loop on Sunday the 19th. I have an idea on how to start from Rileys lock and lessen the impact of that first hill. Take a look at the beginning of this route (http://routeslip.com/map.php?map=13691). It starts at Rileys Lock and then makes a small loop before heading down River Road and into that big hill. It's got it's own hill, but it's smaller and will give us momentum going into the big hill. It adds 2.1 miles to the start of the loop and 1.3 to the end if we go directly into Riley Lock from River Road. That would bring the total distance to about 25.7 miles.

aicabsolut
11-08-2006, 11:00 AM

Seriously, though, I do like to stop or slow down periodically on my rides, not only to give my body a rest, but also just to soak in my surroundings and enjoy the view. Since you ladies are much more serious about training than I am, and there's more chance of stiff muscles because it's chilly out, and because I have some time constraints since I'm meeting my family that afternoon,

That's a little bit of a contradiction...you can't stop too much if you've got to get to your family thing ;). But while I like to push myself, it's hard to do that on my own sometimes without others setting the pace, particularly since i'm a no-ipod while riding person (music would help me keep cadence).

But there are 2 main reasons for doing a group ride. 1) Training and having people to push you and to chase, or 2) a more social ride where the goal is to have fun, try new routes, and learn from each other. I'm plenty happy to do #2. I have no problems slowing down. Slowing down to coast a bit or even make a quick snack stop (FYI, I haven't mastered the eating and drinking thing on the bike yet, but I'm slowly getting better at taking my hands off to do other stuff) and sitting down at a coffee shop or taking a nap are 2 different things as far as my leg muscles are concerned. :p

I thought this sounded like a good compromise too, since we don't really know each other's fitness and training levels, climbing skills, etc. Not really the point to treat it like a team ride, right? I also hope you'll reconsider. :)

I also wish I had Lance's legs, and I try my hardest to spin as fast as I can. But when I get really frustrated, I sometimes shift up and get a little mash-y just so I can cover a little more ground per stroke. Bad I know but I hate going so slow.

I like that proposed start. So would we go up all the way and back then turn left to start the rest of the loop or just add that Battlesquare part on at the end?

HillSlugger
11-08-2006, 12:03 PM
I thought this sounded like a good compromise too, since we don't really know each other's fitness and training levels, climbing skills, etc. Not really the point to treat it like a team ride, right? I also hope you'll reconsider. :)

I like that proposed start. So would we go up all the way and back then turn left to start the rest of the loop or just add that Battlesquare part on at the end?

I propose that we start at Rileys Lock, do that little loop through Seneca Road, turn left onto RIver Road and then Right onto Friendship. We'll then do the 22 mile Poolesville loop, take a left onto River Road and a right onto Rileys Lock. It should be a little under 26 miles. If this is OK, I'll plot it into Routeslip and send a link later.

Kalidurga
11-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Riding with other people is also new to me. We'll all have to adjust to different elements of group riding, but at least we can work on it together.

Where hills are concerned, I think I'm the opposite of most people. Not being warmed up doesn't seem to be as much of a problem for me. I felt like my stops were shorter on the couple of hills at the beginning of last weekend's ride. I had more trouble with the hills later in the loop, when I was fatigued. I'm sure I'll still have to stop partway up the first killer hill, so maybe when you guys turn right to warm up, I'll go ahead and turn left and see how far I get before you catch up. Since the rest of the ride is less elevation than the Peach Tree Loop, hopefully we'll be able to stick together with no problems.

Now, here's where the contradiction of my time constraint comes in: What time are we planning to meet and start riding?

(After all this, just watch Mom Nature render it all moot by giving us rainstorms on the 19th... :rolleyes: )

HillSlugger
11-08-2006, 01:02 PM
Here's the route (http://routeslip.com/map.php?map=13742) with the start from Rileys Lock. I plotted it that we start by staying on River Road and do Partnership Road at the end. It could be replotted the other way.

The extra stuff at the start and end takes a route that was averaging 40 feet of climbing per mile and brings it up to 50 feet. I guess the good news is that once the starter hill is out of the way the rest of the ride is easier.

Kali, what time do you need to be packing up and leaving from the parking area? We can work back from there figuring 2.5-3 hours total riding time to get a start time.

Catherine, is there a time that would be too early for you with having to pick up your friend?

BTW I'm not trying to take over the ride so if it may seem that way I apologize. I just want to ride! :D

aicabsolut
11-08-2006, 03:38 PM
That loop looks fine to me.

I'm not saying later hills aren't hard, but a snack before them helps the fatigue problem. Be my guest chugging on up that first hill without me :)

Usually, I'll leave 7:30-8am for a ride. But if I can snack in the car, I could leave home a little earlier than that. Going way out to NE and back northwest would make my drive hellish--I'll see if I can convince Morghan to just drive herself (I don't think we can take both bikes in one car anyway). At any rate, I could see potentially an hour or more for the drive. So 9ish might be safer. But really, I used to get up at 5 for horse shows, so I could deal if we need to get going earlier. Just work backwards from when Kali needs to leave. I'll figure out transportation for us DC kids.

7rider
11-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Tam, I do hope you reconsider and do that ride...and I'm not even going...but I'll be there in spirit!
As Catherine mentioned...social rides are great, too. As long as everyone knows the expectations, which shouldn't be hard to communicate with only 3 or 4 riders, then a ride that's "slower" than what some may be used to, or with more breaks than others are used to, can be just as valuable, and just as enjoyable, as the weekend hammerfest. When I did the Peach Tree loop the other week with my friend, Margot, I found that most of those roads allowed for side by side riding, or ... if she were to stop and I wanted to pedal, I could go up the road a bit and circle back to keep moving.
Also, re: the 'bent. My only experience with a 'bent is a friend of mine up in Massachusetts. He had a bad hip and got one, but was so stubborn, he refused to ride it. He would mount and dismount his regular bike from a curb, so he could lay the bike down sideways to get his leg over it! He did that up until he had a complete hip replacement! His recumbent still sits, unused, in his basement. So, anyway...I realize my view is hopelessly wrong and utterly biased, but I view 'bents as the "option of last resort." That when I am too battered to ride an upright bike, I'll get a 'bent. Besides...I could never ride one of those recumbent style exercise bikes at the gym....they bothered my hips. So I wonder if that would apply on the "real" bike.
R

withm
11-08-2006, 05:49 PM
Sigh - if I still lived in Gaithersburg I'd be there. All this talk about Poolesville, Riley's Lock, White's Ferry... well I'm not homesick, but it's tempting to think about joining you all on a ride. It's just the 3 hour drive that would get to me to get to the starting point.

On the other hand, I will be in the DC area over Thanksgiving so if you have any group rides planned for that weekend it might be fun to join you. Hills? Well we don't have ANY hills here, just wind. Though it's the next best thing - it ain't the real thing so I'm slow on hills.

Martha

Kalidurga
11-08-2006, 05:57 PM
BTW I'm not trying to take over the ride so if it may seem that way I apologize. I just want to ride!

Nicole, you are officially the RouteSlip Queen! And, no, it doesn't seem as if you're taking over anything. It's great that you're so quick with the route plotting, so we're able to see all of our options so easily. (Though RouteSlip seems to be having problems loading this evening...)

We met last weekend just after 9:30 and began riding a bit before 10:00 am, right? We ended up doing just shy of 28 miles and finished between 12:30 and 1:00. A similar schedule would probably work fine for the 19th. I'm not sure yet what I'm doing with the family. (You think planning this ride has been tough? Try planning something with my parents :rolleyes: ) I did already tell them that I was most likely going riding in the morning, though. So, I guess I'm back in.

Catherine, where in NE does your friend live? Can she at least meet you at your place?

Regina, you should have seen the cute young guy I met over the summer who was riding his 'bent along the C&O towpath out past Hancock, MD. He was part of a group riding all the way from Seattle to DC to raise awareness for a cause that my sieve-brain has forgotten. He was the only 'bent rider in the group, but he sure changed the way I look at those bikes ;)

Kalidurga
11-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Sigh - if I still lived in Gaithersburg I'd be there. All this talk about Poolesville, Riley's Lock, White's Ferry... well I'm not homesick, but it's tempting to think about joining you all on a ride.

On the other hand, I will be in the DC area over Thanksgiving so if you have any group rides planned for that weekend it might be fun to join you.

My family leaves the day after Thanksgiving, and I have no idea yet what I'm doing that weekend. If the weather's still warm enough, another group ride is certainly a possibility.

I think I'd be homesick if I left this area. I've become very attached to various places here in MoCo, FredCo and the rest of MD.

aicabsolut
11-09-2006, 04:57 AM
I live down in FB and she's way off at SD and Mich Aves. She could come to my place and we'd take GW pkwy to 495, but I'm not 100% sure that the river road exit is open off the beltway. So then I'd have to go up Wisconsin or something, where she could meet me along the way. I'll figure something out about transportation. 9:30 ought to be plenty late enough for me.

For Tues-Fri of Thanksgiving week, I think I'm going to be in c-ville, so I might tackle my other beastly route alone again. But I ought to be around here over the weekend. I'll have a ton of grad school work to do but I might be able to break away for a couple hours.

Kalidurga
11-09-2006, 08:48 AM
I live down in FB and she's way off at SD and Mich Aves. She could come to my place and we'd take GW pkwy to 495, but I'm not 100% sure that the river road exit is open off the beltway. So then I'd have to go up Wisconsin or something, where she could meet me along the way. I'll figure something out about transportation. 9:30 ought to be plenty late enough for me.

Can you cut over K Street/Whitehurst Freeway onto Canal Road? If so, you can then get on Clara Barton Pkwy and pick up River Rd where Clara Barton hits the Beltway. Then, you just take River aaaall the way out to a 'T' instersection (I suddenly can't remember the name of the road it T's with), turn left, go down the hill and around the curve, and make the first left down to Riley's Lock.

If you do the GW to 495 thing, I think all the construction at River Rd is finished (though it wouldn't hurt to check, just in case).

divingbiker
11-09-2006, 09:32 AM
I wanna ride, too!

And if I do, I'm just a few miles from your friend's house, Catherine. Maybe she could drive to my house (it's on the way; she'd just have to go up Eastern Ave to Takoma Park) and we could drive together. I've got a rack that can handle 3 bikes.

I'll do whatever ride you all want to, short, long, hilly, flat, doesn't matter. I'll just rest with Kali when necessary.

aicabsolut
11-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Kali: Sure I can go out Whitehurst. I'll look up that route on my map.

Divingbiker: I'll run the carpooling idea by her tomorrow (we're planning on a short lunch hour loop). I think she said she's basically at the intersection of those two avenues. You'll have to send me some detailed directions to pass on to her though about where to meet up with you. The main reason she wants to carpool is because she hardly drives around the area or know where a lot of streets are, even though she's been here over a year (as opposed to me--I've just been around since late May and drive too much). Her rack fits 2 bikes I think. The only problem for us was that we aren't totally sure if it fits on my suv (and I don't really want to go to NE). Let me know if you decide to come!

divingbiker
11-09-2006, 11:27 AM
I sent you a PM with directions to my house from SD and Michigan NE.

Kalidurga
11-09-2006, 03:07 PM
Oy... The advance weather forecast for the 19th is calling for a high temp of 48 degrees. Let's all cross our fingers that the forecast will change between now and then!

HillSlugger
11-13-2006, 12:38 PM
Have we figured out a start time? Kali, what time do you need to be finished and leaving the parking lot?

Kalidurga
11-13-2006, 05:03 PM
I think we settled on the same time that you and I met for the last ride: 9:30, on the road by 10:00. That got us back to the parking lot a bit between 12:30 and 1:00, which should leave plenty of time for a quick shower and the drive down to Herndon. Heck, I'm seeing the family Saturday evening, Sunday afternoon/evening, and again on Thanksgiving. Yeah, they're driving all the way up from Florida, but I gotta have time to ride! :D (Somehow, it's easier to say that to family when you don't live with them...)

Kalidurga
11-13-2006, 05:07 PM
Oh, and... let's all remind each other to bring cue sheets... ;)

aicabsolut
11-15-2006, 10:09 AM
I've already printed one out.

The high temp forecast has now moved up to a whopping 53 degrees

(low 35)

HillSlugger
11-15-2006, 10:25 AM
I've already printed one out.
I'll try to bring copies for everyone, with and without the extension at the beginning (I've got both mapped).

7rider
11-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Don't count me out yet!!!
Doc put me on prednisone - :eek: - but, knock on wood, it seems to be doing the trick. Pain is 80% gone already. My chiro measured my shoulders - A/C joint to A/C joint, as was recommended, and at 41 cm (I'm very broad shouldered), my 42 cm handlebars don't seem to be the issue.
So, continuing with the ice packs, the TENS unit, and the I-joy, and maybe I'll be good to roll come sunday a.m.
Fingers crossed......

Kalidurga
11-15-2006, 06:28 PM
Regina, can you stay off the computer all day Saturday, just in case? And no yard work!

Kalidurga
11-15-2006, 06:35 PM
I'll try to bring copies for everyone, with and without the extension at the beginning (I've got both mapped).

I just printed mine (the map, too) and put it with my bike gear :D

Those temperature forecasts better stay in the 50's...

7rider
11-16-2006, 04:35 AM
Regina, can you stay off the computer all day Saturday, just in case? And no yard work!

No computer????
No yard work????
Boy, that's asking a lot! :p

HillSlugger
11-16-2006, 05:02 AM
Don't count me out yet!!!

We'd love to have you but please don't do this if it could create long term health issues!

aicabsolut
11-16-2006, 06:36 AM
Regina, O/T, but where do you find jerseys to fit those shoulders? Mine are only about 38.5-39, but compared to the bone structure of the rest of my torso (hips are low -- I'm long-backed -- and chest measurement really tiny unless I get in the gym and work on my lats). And I can't find a tall, slim jersey that fits the shoulders. I'm not really looking for sleeveless right now, obviously.

We'd love to have you but please stay healthy.

Oh, my friend Morghan may have to bail, because she's got to go into the office this weekend. But we're hoping she can get her stuff done Sat and Sun afternoon and take a break for the Sun morning ride. I'll keep everyone (esp. divingbiker who she's carpooling with) posted.

7rider
11-16-2006, 04:51 PM
Regina, O/T, but where do you find jerseys to fit those shoulders? Mine are only about 38.5-39, but compared to the bone structure of the rest of my torso (hips are low -- I'm long-backed -- and chest measurement really tiny unless I get in the gym and work on my lats). And I can't find a tall, slim jersey that fits the shoulders. I'm not really looking for sleeveless right now, obviously.

Well, geez. Now you got me all paranoid about my jerseys! :o (Do I really have a closet full of jerseys that don't fit me?? Well, yes and no. I do have a few "incentive" jerseys in there!)
I don't seem to have a problem with my shoulders, it's the length I have issues with. PI is too short (although their older stuff was okay). Primal is just....weird. Terry fits well. Have you tried Descente? It fits me okay, but is snug around my midsection, alas, my broad back to go with my broad shoulders. Perhaps on you, it would work well.

aicabsolut
11-17-2006, 06:12 AM
Sorry about that! I also have a big problem with length too.

I haven't tried Descente. I don't think any of the shops around here carry it (I'm trying to avoid ordering stuff that's likely to be sent back). I have issues with the shoulder width such that it does this weird pulling thing on the raglan sleeves. And then they're tight across the shoulder blades in the back, loose in the mid/lower torso, then hiked up somewhere around my belly button at the hem.

Have you tried the Craft pro fit? Those look like they might be on the right track in the torso, but I'm not sure about the shoulders.

Thanks!

7rider
11-17-2006, 08:28 AM
The Bicycle Place on Grubb Rd in Silver Spring (by Rock Creek Park, so it's bicycle-able from there) carries a few Descente pieces...as does the Evil Empire (a.k.a. Performance) occasionally. I just picked up a long sleeve Descente jersey on clearance from Performance.
The only Craft item I have is a base layer. I don't know if it's Pro-fit, and it's close-fitting, as expected.

aicabsolut
11-17-2006, 01:24 PM
I'm heading to Cville after our ride this weekend. I think there's a Performance there and at least one other shop.

I am officially built like a skinny man, though. Today I went shopping for UA baselayers, and the best fit? Men's small. Of course. The women's ones were all wrong. Now the real trick is the answer to this question: what LBS carries a supply of XS or S men's jerseys?

7rider
11-18-2006, 05:08 AM
What's Cville??

If I head to the Bike Place today, I'll see what they have for men's small. I know they have women's smalls....because I need Large!!!

HillSlugger
11-18-2006, 06:59 AM
I've printed out cue sheets *AND* I've put them into my bike bag so that they won't get left behind like last time :eek:

It should be around 40 degrees and very light wind at ride time, not so bad for November ;) See you all at 9:30

Kalidurga
11-18-2006, 08:33 AM
I've printed out cue sheets *AND* I've put them into my bike bag so that they won't get left behind like last time :eek:

It should be around 40 degrees and very light wind at ride time, not so bad for November ;) See you all at 9:30

Just in case we end up waiting for somebody, who'd we end up with? Me, Nicole, Janice, Regina (how's the shoulder doing?), Catherine, Catherine's bud? Am I missing anybody?

Look out, Poolesville... ;)

divingbiker
11-18-2006, 09:54 AM
Just in case we end up waiting for somebody, who'd we end up with? Me, Nicole, Janice, Regina (how's the shoulder doing?), Catherine, Catherine's bud?

I'm planning to be there, not sure about Catherine's friend (my carpooler). My printer is on the fritz so I must depend on Nicole for a cue sheet. Sounds like that's covered, though you ladies don't seem to need cue sheets. See you at 9:30 at Riley's Lock (correct me if I've got the time/place wrong.)

7rider
11-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Just in case we end up waiting for somebody, who'd we end up with? Me, Nicole, Janice, Regina (how's the shoulder doing?), Catherine, Catherine's bud? Am I missing anybody?

Look out, Poolesville... ;)

I think Catherine's friend was going to bail.
My shoulder and arm seem to be doing okay (knocking on wood). Got the "okay" to *try*, but warned to have ice packs at the ready!
DH may accompany me to Riley's lock and then head out on the C&O with a friend on mtb's to take pictures.
Was that last route with a link *the* final route?
Or, can I just smile stupidly and hold out my hand for a sheet?
As they always say with my LBS weekly bike ride: "If you don't know the way, don't lead!"

aicabsolut
11-18-2006, 03:02 PM
Morghan is trying to make it but I dunno.

Divingbiker: I PMed you about it.

Cville = Charlottesville. Sorry for the 'slang.'

Anyone want to PM me their phone number in case I'm driving aimlessly around Maryland tomorrow morning?

HillSlugger
11-18-2006, 03:05 PM
Was that last route with a link *the* final route?
Or, can I just smile stupidly and hold out my hand for a sheet?
As they always say with my LBS weekly bike ride: "If you don't know the way, don't lead!"

We've got one basic route with two possible starts:
Poolesville Loop from Rileys Lock (http://routeslip.com/map.php?map=13742)
Poolesville Loop from Rileys Lock (direct start) (http://routeslip.com/map.php?map=14424)
The second route heads out of Rileys Lock and then takes a left directly onto River Road and up THE HILL. The first route crosses River Road, makes a small loop and then heads up the hill. In theory this gives you a little more chance to warm up and the chance to pick up some momentum before heading up the hill.

I've got 4 copies of each version. You are welcome to one.

Kalidurga
11-18-2006, 03:22 PM
Anyone want to PM me their phone number in case I'm driving aimlessly around Maryland tomorrow morning?

I'd give you my number, but I'm one of those weird people who refuses to own a cel phone. I think Nicole mentioned that there's no reception at Riley's Lock anyway, though.

If you can get onto River Rd either in DC or from the Beltway, Riley's is really easy to find. Here are directions from a hiking website:

LocalHikes.com C&O Canal (http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/Rileys_Lock_Swains_Lock_8872.asp): From Cabin John Bridge, on I-495, head north for 1.8 miles to exit 39A. Take exit ramp onto River Road (MD 190). Proceed for 11.5 miles to end of 190. Turn left and continue on River Road for .7 miles. Turn left onto Rileys Lock Road. Follow for .5 miles to end and parking lot

Basically, you just stay on River Rd all the way until a 'T' intersection, turn left at the 'T', then Riley's Lock is the first left turn after that. We're meeting in the first parking area, so turn left again when you see the boat ramp on the right.

HillSlugger
11-19-2006, 12:03 PM
Thanks everyone for an enjoyable day of riding. Those hills really add up: my legs are more sore than they've been in quite a while (except from running).

7rider
11-19-2006, 01:51 PM
Great ride! Was really nice to meet everyone and put real faces to those avatars!
According to my Garmin, we had almost 1400 feet of climbing in 25.8 miles! That one doozy of a hill on River/Mt. Nebo Rd clocked in at 12%. Wow. I think that's a record - for me anyway.

Kalidurga
11-19-2006, 04:48 PM
I was sure our route bypassed that hill and was surprised when I realized it didn't. As much as I was dreading it, it actually ended up being easier than some of the longer, shallower ones we hit. I was able to stand and grunt my way up it, which ya just can't do on those less steep ones.

Oh, I ran into the NVCC guys when I stopped at the Starbucks in Potomac. I asked if they had really ridden all the way from Poolesville and a got a "Yeah", then I said I had seen them earlier and got an "Oh" before they all pedalled away. I've now officially been snubbed by a group of roadies ;)

Thanks for the ride, ladies. It was a good challenge and I appreciate your patience and humor. Though I am disappointed that gravel stretch turned out to be non-existent!

aicabsolut
11-20-2006, 05:59 AM
That was fun! Can't wait to do it again!

By the way, my Garmin says it was 13% !

So maybe when we do it again we can find away around that beast. I'll try to map out some of the Poolesville rides my team does from their cue sheets. Looks like some of them start from Capitol Crescent trail and then it's "2nd left after big bridge" and I have no idea what that means. But I can find somewhere to start.

If anyone wants to do Rock Creek and take a lane on the Parkway, There's often street parking available on Sunday mornings near my house (I live very close). And no 2 hr time limits on the weekends.