PDA

View Full Version : Totally OT:Christening Gifts - need help

CycleChic06
10-31-2006, 12:47 PM
Ok, I'm not usually one for posting OT threads, but being Jewish, I'm not really sure what the ettiquiette here is.

One of my best friends from college who I don't get to see very often invited me to her son's Christening. I am unable to go, but was wondering if I'm supposed to send a gift anyway. I love buying gifts for babies (everyone seems to be having them and the people at Babys R Us seem to know me by name because I'm there so often). But I'm not really sure if it's something you send a gift for if you can't attend.

Also, never having been invited to one before, what would an appropriate gift be? I'd prefer it to be non-religious. Someone mentioned a savings bond...

Thanks!
Emily

paigette
10-31-2006, 01:43 PM
Practicing Catholic reporting for duty!!

Yes, you can send a gift even if you are not attending, if you would like.

I've transitioned from giving the standard Christening gifts, because a kid ends up with 3 bibles, Precious Moments figurines, and about 10 rosaries (experience talking here)!

Some gifts I have given have ranged from a savings bond(my godson) to a little basket filled with rattles, bottles & a monogramed baby blanket. You can give anything baby friendly.

Good luck!

massbikebabe
11-01-2006, 09:52 AM
Another RC checking in here...

A package of diapers wipes and formula, or cereal and jar fruit would also be nice. Don't feel obligated if you cannot go.

karen

Bikingmomof3
11-01-2006, 10:31 AM
RC here. :) A lovely monogrammed blanket would be perfect. My oldest son still has his on the end of his bed. His is a lovely white blanket with a blue monogram, so perfect for growing with. Not the standard issue multi pastel colour baby blanket.

Less expensive items in no order; diapers, toy, stuffed animal, picture frame for parents to put a Christening pic in...basically whatever you would buy for a baby shower.

Remember, it is the thought that counts. :)

CycleChic06
11-02-2006, 05:16 AM
Thanks Ladies,
Those are some good suggestions, I really appreciate the help!

Emily

hellosunshine
11-02-2006, 01:02 PM
is it a girl?i have a charm bracelet and when i was a baby,up till about 16 my aunt used to send me a charm every year,in britain they are under a £5 each and quite fun to receive every year,even when i was 16!

if its a boy..........who knows!

but a unisex idea!a pump and bicycle repair kit,the kid will love you for ever.