PDA

View Full Version : I'm beat...

Veronica
04-18-2004, 10:07 AM
Yesterday was the staff ride for the Devil Mountain Double. Ten brave souls, who will work the actual ride next Saturday, took off at 6AM. It was about 45 degrees out and I just could not seem to get my legs warm on the 30 minute ride over to our first climb, Mt. Diablo. My knees don't take the cold well so at the base of Diablo I got some vitaimin I (Ibuprofin) from our wonderful SAG guys - Jesse and Thom. The climb up Diablo was gorgeous. It had a layer of fog about 1/2 up, and the sun coming through the clouds just glinted off the valley below. Otherwise it was a pretty clear day and you could see for miles. My knees had finally gotten with the program and overall I had a pretty good ascent, other than the wind I encountered about 5 miles in. Weather data for the mountain shows it to have been blowing 19 with gusts to 35. This leg - 19. 1 miles, elevation gain 3,780 feet.

The descent on the other hand was brutal. Freezing cold, even with my full fingered gloves, my fingers were getting numb. I stopped once in a patch of sun just to warm up.

After a brief rest stop at the base of Diablo, I hooked up with two other riders and we headed over to the base of our next climb - Morgan Territory. This is about one of the prettiest rides around I think. You wind your way out of the 'burbs and into horse country. The road begins with ranches and ends up being a small one lane road, for about the last four miles, covered with trees. Only downside is that the road is not very well maintained, very rutted, loose asphalt, lots of potholes. Last year on this ride, I was miserable on this section and thought about quitting when I got to the top. I just hadn't been eating enough. This year I made myself take a bite of a bar every 15 minutes or so. And felt great when I rolled into Morgan Territory, where Jesse had a cold Red Bull waiting just for me, and he told me I still looked very fresh.This leg - 33.3 miles, 2400 feet of elevation gain.

Here I changed out of my tights into shorts. You can't imagine how good that felt. I also switched jerseys. The joys of doing a small group ride with SAG.

We pulled out of Morgan Territory, climbed a little bit more than headed down into Livermore. The backside of Morgan Territory is called by many cyclists - The Plunge. It's a wonderful descent, pretty good sight lines, even though it's a little curvy. It can be a little warm since there are no trees on this side. The road on this side is wonderfully smooth. Somewhere in here I hit 41 mph! FUN.

Once at the bottom, you wind your way through the Livermore Valley flatlands to Altamont Pass. This section was great. We had the wind at our backs going out Altamont. Great right? No, because that means you get a nice stiff wind in your face climbing Patterson Pass. I've done this section of the ride twice before, once at last year's DMD where I thought I had died and gone to hell. And once on the tandem with Thom. Neither time had I experienced the gale force winds we had yesterday. It was brutal. At one point my odometer showed me cresting a hill at 2 MPH. In spite of that, other than my lower back beginning to twinge a little, I still felt really good. A little vitamin I and I was set. I was even contemplating going further than my planned 115 miles. This leg - 28.1 miles, 1840 feet of elevation gain.

We descended Patterson and headed out across the other side of Livermore to Mines Road, the beginning of the climb to Mount Hamilton. This was where I quit last year - 91 miles into it, 9,000 feet total elevation gain. Not this year. My back was getting a little more achy, but my legs felt great, a little fatigued. This section 10.3 miles, 910 feet of elevation gain.

Mines Road begins with a fairly steep ascent over two miles. We had a slight breeze at our backs - nice! For the next twenty miles or so, you're still ascending, but it's really gradual. It's a beautiful area. Kind of looks like where they would film old western movies. About 18 miles into this section, I realize my back is killing me, my stomach is no longer happy (I'm blaming it on Carboom) and I'm getting cold, which is not good for my knees. This leg ends with two short climbs. The last two miles to the first one, I am not a happy camper. I can't wait to get to the climb, because it will mean I'm almost to the next rest stop. The two miles drag by. Finally, the climb's not bad... The descent is another fairly curvy one, but on good roads. I'm flying. By this time I have decided that I am not continuing on with the climb up Hamilton. I'll be done at the Junction, as I had originally planned. Another short little climb and it's a couple mile descent to the Junction. YEAH! This leg - 24 miles, 2400 feet of elevation gain.

Ride total - 115 miles, 11,240 total climb. Average speed - 10.9

At this point, there are still 8 riders on the course. 4 way off the front, two in the middle and two that I was riding with. Another rider stops at the same time I do. Jesse takes him back and Thom and I continue sagging after getting burgers at the bar at The Junction - good burgers.

We drive to the top of Hamilton - man am I glad I quit when I did! From the Junction you ride along through a valley, climb up a little bit, this is where we pass the two guys in the middle, descend and then begin the six mile climb up to the top of Hamilton. Thom and I got up there and watched the sun set and the fog roll in. Now I'm really happy to be off the bike, because the temperature is dropping.

The first guy - Dave - rolls in at about 7:45. He is still looking good. Gets some food, a little more water and heads on out at 8. At 8:20 the next guy, Jon, comes in - he's done. He's cramping from the cold. Now our vehicle is full. We expect the last two riders at about 8:35. No sign of them. It's cold and foggy. At 8:45 we decide to go back down and look for them. They were almost at the top. Scott is still looking really good. Mary has been cold almost all day and this fog is not helping. She warms up in the car for about 45 minutes, she really wants to finish the ride. They start down Mt. Hamilton at about 9:30. It's dark, there's fog and it's 37 degrees out. We make sure they are okay and then head out with a plan of checking in on Dave and taking Jon back to his car.

Things don't go as planned. We hop on the highway to get up to where we think Dave'll be. We drive the course. We can't find Dave and his cell phone isn't on. We turn around and go back out thinking maybe we overestimated his speed.

It's now about 10:30. The phone rings, it's Jesse. Dave called him, he missed a turn and is now off course by about 5 miles, facing a steep climb to get back on course. The people in this particular neighborhood always paint over the white arrows on the road with black paint. Nice. Have you ever tried to look at black paint in the dark on asphalt? Jon volunteers to sit on the side of the road with his bike, while we go get Dave.

The phone rings, it's Scott. He and Mary are off Hamilton. But they're done. We decide we'll continue with our plan to get Dave back on course, then we'll go to Scott and Mary and scout the area for a Denny's for them to hang out in while we then take Jon home. It's past midnight by the time we get them situated. I sleep a bit in the back of the car while we drive the twenty plus miles back to Scott's house (the ride start.) There we get his huge truck since neither his nor Mary's bike can go in our roof racks.

The phone rings. It's Dave. He still feels good. Just wants to confirm directions.

We drive back to Scott and Mary. About halfway there, Thom says he's too tired to drive. We pull over, switch places and now I'm driving this huge truck. It turns like a boat and takes forever to brake, but I manage, other than wanting to drive over the lawn at Denny's which looked to me like a driveway. :D

Scott loads up their bikes and drives back to his place. It's now almost 4 AM. I've been up for 24 hours, other than a snooze in the back of the car.

Dave still hasn't arrived. We call him, he still feels good and is about 8 miles from the finish! Woohoo for him! We drive home. It's now 5AM, I wash my face and fall into bed.

I've had three hours of sleep. I'm glad it's Sunday. I'll take a nap later.

Veronica

aka_kim
04-18-2004, 03:15 PM
Awesome job, V. You guys are all amazing!

You should mention the stellar company you rode with -- one of your group finished RAAM last year.

How do you get the training in for a ride like this, especially since it's so early in the riding season?

Kim

pedalfaster
04-18-2004, 03:31 PM
Bike event volunteers rock.

Nice epic-ride story :)

Veronica
04-18-2004, 03:49 PM
Training? What's that?

I think the people who actually finished the whole 206 miles take their riding way more seriously than I would care to. My "training" was just getting in my 20 mile rides after work, two or three times a week, a mountain bike ride on Wed. nights, longer rides on the weekend, 40 - 60 milers and the two organized metric centuries I've done recently. I did ride throughout the winter after work.

A lot of it for me is just mind over matter. The whole way up Patterson, even though it was grueling was still fun, because nothing really ached. Muscle fatigue I can talk myself through and I can spin in a low gear for a long time. I purposely kept my heart rate down in the 160s, even on the climbs rather than pushing hard and having it rocket up to the 180s. I stayed in the saddle most of the ride, except for butt breaks coasting downhill. I even crested Diablo in the saddle! I took every opportunity to coast. I know I spent 80% of the ride in the grannies. It was when I started getting cranky - I was making a list of all my aches in my head, that I realized I was no longer having fun and it was time to stop.

As far as riding with Ish Makk (RAAM finisher!) I think I was with him for 5 minutes at the start and then I saw him coming down Diablo, as I was going up, just north of Juniper.

You should try it next year. It's a good challenge and well supported. You're a good climber. You could borrow my SAG guy. :-) The camaraderie on the ride is great. I don't think I'll ever do the whole thing. Weather conditions would just have to be spectacular. The top of Hamilton was FREEZING and I imagine the descent was even worse than the one on Diablo since it's in the dark.

Maybe this year I'll actually follow through on Core Strengthening so I can get to the top of Hamilton next year.

Veronica

aka_kim
04-19-2004, 07:17 AM
So 100+ miles a week is all it takes? Plus a lot of perseverance, and maybe just a wee bit of craziness to be willing to spend 12-24 hours in the sadde :).

You're right about keeping your heart rate down -- if you can stay aerobic you'll last much, much longer. And eating is so important too (and not throwing up, like I've done).

No, I won't be trying the ride next year, although doing the 115 mile course you did as a point-to-point ride later in the year when I'm in shape does sound intriguing.

And you can TAKE my SAG guy, please.

Veronica
04-19-2004, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the laugh! I needed it!

I am SO tired today. My little commute to work just about wiped me out. I brought Red Bull in my lunch so hopefully I won't fall asleep in class. Checked out a bunch of science movies from the library to show my kids - just in case.

V.

ChainsOflove
04-19-2004, 02:49 PM
WE ARE NOT WORTHY

ChainsOflove
04-19-2004, 02:50 PM
Whoever said that about barfing-- that's my trick.

whenever its hot out and I try to eat when I bonk, I just toss like crazy. not sure what the answer is to this problem.

melissam
04-19-2004, 06:22 PM
Veronica,

You're just plain AWESOME!!!!

-- Melissa

Veronica
04-19-2004, 06:36 PM
Thanks Melissa.

Now if I could just figure out how to get up some of those hills that Krebs gives three arrows to on my mountain bike map. :p

V.

melissam
04-19-2004, 09:05 PM
Now if I could just figure out how to get up some of those hills that Krebs gives three arrows to on my mountain bike map.

Tell me about it! Heck, if I could just get up those 3 arrow Krebs hills on the ROAD bike map!

BTW, I'm sure your route was riddled with arrows on the Krebs map. How are your legs feeling today?

Veronica
04-20-2004, 07:53 AM
Today I feel great! Rode to work in the rain. It was so much fun! I wish I didn't have to work so I could do a little jaunt around the neighborhood than curl up with a book and some hot chocolate.

V.

ragbrai40
04-20-2004, 01:17 PM
Awesome!