PDA

View Full Version : Is any place sacred?

indysteel
10-31-2006, 06:29 AM
I just walked into the public restroom across the hall from my office (I work in a Federal Courthouse) and found a woman sitting in the chair that's in the bathroom talking on her cell phone. Let me make it clear that this isn't a bathroom with a "lounge." The chair is about two feet away from the stalls.
I know this may seem insane, but I would prefer to potty in peace. I don't really want some stranger on the other end of a phone listening to me do my business. I don't even like it when someone in another stall talks to me.

Would this bother anyone else or am I just crazy? And it's okay if it's the latter. I'll admit that I have a low tolerance for all things cell phone. While I realize it's a practical necessity for many, I resisted getting one until three months ago, and I only did so because of my road riding. I probably only make about one or two calls on it a week, if that.

paigette
10-31-2006, 06:32 AM
My mother is THAT woman! She doesn't understand why I do not talk to her when she is in one stall, when I'm in another; she takes the cordless phone into the bathroom with her "just in case" and thinks nothing of flipping open the cellphone & gabbing in public restrooms.

Even though I am slightly cellphone obsessed, I also have my limits & the potty is one of them!

indysteel
10-31-2006, 06:45 AM
I'll admit that every once in a while, in the privacy of my own home, I will continue a conversation while peeing. This is only with my CLOSEST of friends, however, and I always give them fair warning (and an option for me to just call them back). That said, I would not subject them to the sound of other people going to the bathroom, nor would I assume that other people are comfortable with me chatting away on my phone while they potty. Not to be gross, but sometimes things get "explosive" in a public restroom. It's not exactly a feast for the senses!

run it, ride it
10-31-2006, 07:00 AM
This is the rule on public restroom conversation: if you are continuing a conversation that started before you entered the stalls, it is permissible to continue it as long as both parties reciprocate. It is not permissible to strike up a conversation while you are both in stalls unless you are either in need of toilet paper or a feminine hygeine product.

I don't understand how people can spend so much time on cell phones. I keep one on me to coordinate the car I share with my brother (two calls a week, at most), and so that the barn my horse is at can get a hold of me in case of an emergency. Aside from that, it's good to have around when I'm driving, trail riding, bicycling, xc skiing, or wandering out on my own.

My mother doesn't even have a cell phone. She's got OnStar in her vehicle and spends the rest of her time with people who DO have cells!

Geonz
10-31-2006, 07:03 AM
She may have gone in there to be out of hte stream of general public; until you came in, was she the only one in there?

I was nonplussed the first time I went into a stall and heard somebody talking merrily away... but then I realized (this was at a bar/restaurant) she was fairly young, and trying to get somebody to pick her up 'cause she didn't like the stuff the crowd she was with was planning on doing, and I thought, "go cell phones!"

SadieKate
10-31-2006, 07:19 AM
I went through huge cultural or generational shock or something several years ago when someone went into the stall next to mine talking very loudly. She performed all the bodily functions very loudly (if you get me drift) while continuing her cell phone conversation with a guy that was not her husband, boyfriend or brother (she said something in the conversation that gave me this clue). I know I can be very prudish at times but this is one personal rule I really, really appreciate in myself and others.

Geonz, yes, in the bar situation I completely agree but she wasn't actually using the restroom for its primary intended purpose.

xeney
10-31-2006, 07:28 AM
Oh, man, this is such a problem in my office. Or at least it's a problem for me. I don't want to have a conversation while I'm in the bathroom. I don't want to talk about work, or how my husband is, or what I'm doing this weekend. And we only have one person who does the cellphone thing, but it drives me crazy and I have actually talked to her supervisor about it, to no avail. She is our receptionist, and the person she talks to (in goofy schmoopy tones) is her boyfriend, who is also the son of one of my other coworkers ... so this is a guy we have all known since he was a kid, not just a random stranger. And there he is, in the bathroom with us.

It drives me crazy and I don't understand why anyone would even WANT to do that. If my husband ever called me from a public restroom (and I am cracking up even imagining what would make him do that ... maybe if he'd fallen and couldn't get up?) I would hang up on him.

Kano
10-31-2006, 07:37 AM
When I'm in a public restroom and someone does this cell phone thing, I always feel like I have to stop what I'm doing and wait for them to stop chatting...

DH, on the other hand, would start deliberately being louder!

Karen in Boise

indysteel
10-31-2006, 07:44 AM
Sue, she was the only one in there at the time. I'm not sure that mattered much, though. When I walked in she didn't bat an eye or acknowledge me at all. I then turned on my heel and walked out. Tuesday mornings area a little nutty here, but there are other quiet places to go.

I think there should be a Code of cell phone conduct. In addition to certain safety issues, there are better and worse ways to use a cell phone. My brother works for a local tv station that has banned the use of cell phones once you enter the building. Apparently, the the noise of so many different ring tones, along with the office phones, became too much. The AA in my office keeps her phone on all day and some days it rings nonstop. I got so tired of hearing it that I finally asked her to turn it to vibrate. She seemed surprised that it bothered me. I'm not sure she considered this, but she's just advertising to our boss that she's on a private call. He's so laid back that he likely doesn't care, but still. . . .

I had lunch the other day after a group ride with two guys who kept their Bluetooth earpieces in the entire time. Aside from the fact that they looked like poseurs, I found it rude because it implied that if a call came in (which, thankfully, it didn't) they would have picked it up. One of them had even done the ride, while on a tandem, with his earpiece installed. I would have been annoyed if I'd been his stoker. Pay attention to the road dude or we don't ride together!

Really, my "issues" (and clearly I have them) go beyond cell phones. I just find it increasingly difficult to find any peace and quiet anymore. We're surrounded by noise and, worse yet, we're growing impervious to it. I think that's kind of sad.

Now, where did I put my iPod?

LOL!

Kate

Offthegrid
10-31-2006, 07:57 AM
I find talking on cell phones in public bathrooms completely disgusting. The only exception would be an extreme situation where privacy is necessary and can't be had anywhere else. But the calls I've heard while in the bathroom are over stupid, mundane things that can wait.

kaybee
10-31-2006, 08:24 AM
I once had a conversation with a client who said he was in the shower! Believe me, that conjured up visions that I did NOT need to see!

KB

paigette
10-31-2006, 08:26 AM
I once had a conversation with a client who said he was in the shower! Believe me, that conjured up visions that I did NOT need to see!

KB

LOL, I've come close to that. When I was living with my brother, I had just stepped out of the shower(bathrobe on) and he brings me the phone with "Someone is on the phone for you". It was my boss & I was so thrown when he asked me "What are you doing?" I didn't think & answered "Well, just stepped out of the shower" LOL. Yeah....there was a LONG pause after that.

chickwhorips
10-31-2006, 08:31 AM
thank you for reminding me why i love living in a place that has no cell phone coverage at all! that would drive me nuts!

bikerchick68
10-31-2006, 08:45 AM
OK... I'm the odd chick out... this doesn't bother me at all... I wouldn't even bat an eyelash over it... on the other hand, I DO realize it bothers many people and wouldn't do it myself...

I'm on my cell phone a lot, but do my best to be respectful, which means saying, "Hey let me call you right back OK?" at the appropriate times... I've never had a friend say, no you can't call back if I needed to drop the call to use the restroom, pay a bill etc.

I have to say, there have been several times when I should have dropped a call and didn't because the friend or family on the other end called because they were distraught over something...

indysteel
10-31-2006, 11:15 AM

KB

That is SO funny. Thanks for sharing!

AllezGirl
10-31-2006, 11:40 AM
I recently took my son to McD's after school one day...in the middle of the dining area was one of the workers, on her break, chatting away LOUDLY on a Nextel!!! I wanted to slap her silly! Cell phones are bad enough, but it's excruciating when you can hear both sides of a pointless conversation with a grating BEEP BEEP in-between sentences!

wannaduacentury
10-31-2006, 11:57 AM
I can deal with someone taking a call in a restroom if it's a quick place(corner) to get in to chat, but I don't like stall talkers either. I have a cell phone for bike riding, hiking, and just to have on for commuting down the highway. I'm respectful at concerts, movies, and restaurants to keep it off. That's why phones have voicemail-to call folks back. My biggest pet peeve is restaurant talkers, who have to talk loud and are heard all over, not very appetizing. Just my opinion. Jennifer

sulis
10-31-2006, 11:59 AM
You are soooo not alone in this. Sadly there are many ladies in my office who think its ok to chat while taking care of personal business. Gross. If you choose to do that in your own home, fine...but this is a public restroom there are others to consider. And if anyone dares call me while doing this, I will hang up on them without hesitating.

I have a complete love/hate relationship with cell phones. I only carry one for my safety when riding, since I ride alone. Its the most basic plan and only my family and my occassional riding buddy has it. When asked for my cell #, I usually say I don't have one. I love that it is there in case I get in a jam. However, I absolutely hate the loss of common courtesy that has come along with their increased use. Its like we think the more cell phone calls/text messages we get, the more important we are. I think its sad personally.

HappyAnika
10-31-2006, 02:07 PM
This is the rule on public restroom conversation: if you are continuing a conversation that started before you entered the stalls, it is permissible to continue it as long as both parties reciprocate. It is not permissible to strike up a conversation while you are both in stalls unless you are either in need of toilet paper or a feminine hygeine product.

Yes, what she said.

I do have a cell phone, but have it mostly for the safety aspect and the free long distance, which I use like I would normally use my home phone, sitting on the couch in my living room talking to my parents on a Sunday afternoon.

In addition to public restroom use, I still have a hard time seeing people everywhere talking loudly to themselves. :confused: I momentarily don't realize they have a headset or a bluetooth ear thing and I think they are all crazy. It seems to me that people just don't care about their privacy anymore. I personally don't feel like discussing any aspect of my life while strangers listen in, but I think I'm in the minority these days.

wannaduacentury
10-31-2006, 03:34 PM
I have a complete love/hate relationship with cell phones. I only carry one for my safety when riding, since I ride alone. Its the most basic plan and only my family and my occassional riding buddy has it. When asked for my cell #, I usually say I don't have one. I love that it is there in case I get in a jam. However, I absolutely hate the loss of common courtesy that has come along with their increased use. Its like we think the more cell phone calls/text messages we get, the more important we are. I think its sad personally.

I agree, I have a cell for the same reasons you do. I hardly turn it on. As for corporate America, I refuse to have an "electronic noose" around my neck. it's not worth it. When my day is done, it's over and I'n not available unless someone is bleeding or dying. No blackberry for me. Jennifer

CyclChyk
10-31-2006, 04:05 PM
thank you for reminding me why i love living in a place that has no cell phone coverage at all!

No cell phone??? I can't imagine how I lived without one. I think I would have serious withdrawal symptoms if I had to give it up.

I luckily have never had the pleasure of walking in on someone using a cell in a public restroom. Can you really be all that careful if you are on the phone in a public restroom? I am not a germaphob but eewwww! Surely at some point one would get a little careless....

What bothers me is people exercising while on the cell. Riding the eliptical or treadmill, etc. Aside from a quick call to/from the babysitter/spouse, do you really have to chat away on the cell? Is your life that busy that you have to multitask calls into your workout??

Just my two cents.........

Aggie_Ama
11-01-2006, 04:06 AM
I work with those women!! One day I was in the bathroom feeling not so hot and there was a woman ARGUING with her husband. I was teetering on the edge of throwing up or something just as gross and here she is yelling at him. All I could think is "Does he realize she is in a public restroom?"

The other day another co-worker was hashing out her financial issues in the bathroom with someone. I don't need to know that her husband went through a job change and now makes less or about their debt ratio- I want to use the restroom for the reason it is there.

I do work in a cube farm, but there are plenty of conference rooms that are unlocked and unoccupied at any given moment. I usually take the stairs down 2 floors to the parking garage. You would be amazed how much isolation you can find with just a short walk.

I admit, I am a bit of a cell phone addict. Since DH and all my family are free to call (plus anyone with T-Mobile- anybody want to chat?:p ), I often find myself jabbering about the stupidest things on my phone. BUT it is usually sitting in my car in our garage at lunch or on my patio after work. The bathroom is for bathroom stuff. PERIOD.

Trek420
11-01-2006, 05:02 AM
IMHO your cell has caller id, voice mail...if you're at dinner, out with friends or :eek: on a date let the call go to voicemail, that's what these things are there for.

Thoughtfull use of features like call forwarding save you and your callers time. If you call my land line it forwards to my cell if I'm away, if I can take your call safely and politely I will....if there's a reason it'll be a while till I return your call there will be a message there to that effect.

One of my podmates has the most annoying personalized ring tones: one sounds like a cat, the other like a crying baby. I've told her to set the phone to stun. :rolleyes: she still has that on.

I'd never call from the bathroom, I'll call you back after that. But you'd be amazed the number of folks who do their business....while doing their....
"how can I help you today?"
"flush"
"ew, we don't know each other well enough for that"

chickwhorips
11-01-2006, 09:36 AM
No cell phone??? I can't imagine how I lived without one. I think I would have serious withdrawal symptoms if I had to give it up.

when i first moved here my sister asked me how she would get ahold of me because i no longer had a cell phone. ummmm i still have a regular phone.

caller id, nope don't have that here either. it works for in town, but anywhere else it says unknown. thats what you get for having satellites instead of wires. the connection that has a pause sometimes does get annoying. sometimes there is a 5 second pause between when you talk and when the other person hears it.

Bikingmomof3
11-01-2006, 10:39 AM
I have a cell phone but never use it. I do take it with me in case of an emergency, otherwise is is off and in my bag.

CyclChyk
11-01-2006, 10:44 AM
Ironically I don't have a land line......... had one. Never used it. Got tired of paying for it. Cancelled it. No regrets. Altho I can't find a cell carrier I like and I have tried about 4 of them...........