PDA

View Full Version : Race Report...I did well, but it hurt.

madisongrrl
10-30-2006, 07:08 AM
I've raced 4 races this year and my results have been mediocre to poor. I've had bad starts, got dropped, flubbed barriers, DNFed. But yesterday was different....

When I stepped up to the start line and looked at all Cat 3 women (there were ~ 10 of us). I said to my friend, "Damn, doesn't look any slow chicks showed up today. This is going to hurt". I thought, too late now....I already paid my money and I have to race....please let me not finish last.

The whistle blew and I punched it. I was out in front, first mission accomplished. A little into the lap, 3 women overtake me. I tell myself to focus and hang on. A few barriers and another woman passes me., riding 5th and everyone else is well behind. Focus. Pass a woman, now riding 4th. A little back and forth, I'm 5th, I'm 4th, I'm 5th. I stay on the 4th women's wheel. We catch the women who is 3rd. I attack as hard as I can, 2 women left behind. Now I'm riding 3rd. I ask myself, "Was that smart?". I wasn't sure. Final lap. The Bell rings. Barrier run-up, I feel like I'm going to explode. All the spectators are screaming at me to attack, push, run. There are people screaming in Polish. I don't know what is going on. My vision is leaving me. Punch it, don't let them catch you. I sail into the finish, 3rd on the day. I slump over my bike and dry heave and wait for the vomit to come, it doesn't. I hack, cough and spit for the next 10 minutes. A little post race banter, and I'm off to change my clothes....and pick up my prize money. Yes, today I didn't suck.

mimitabby
10-30-2006, 07:09 AM
wow, you are made of tough stuff! congrats!

Adventure Girl
10-30-2006, 07:17 AM
Great result! Great report! And super great effort!

Eden
10-30-2006, 07:22 AM
Whoo hoo - I don't ride cross, but my friends who ride do say its harder than an uphill TT, to which I can relate! Sounds like you put in a superb effort. When you want to puke at the end you know you did your best. Big congrats on the 3rd place.

Offthegrid
10-30-2006, 07:27 AM
3rd? WOW! :D

Great job.

SheFly
10-30-2006, 07:28 AM
Congrats on the great finish! Different perspective than a couple of weeks ago ;) . Sounds like a superb effort. Do you still hate it???? :D More importantly, did you have fun?????

My report from yesterday is still forthcoming, but I can TOTALLY relate to the dry heaves and wanting to vomit. In 'cross, if you don't feel like that, you aren't racing hard enough!!!

Keep up the great work!

SheFly

madisongrrl
10-30-2006, 07:34 AM
Congrats on the great finish! Different perspective than a couple of weeks ago ;) . Sounds like a superb effort. Do you still hate it???? :D More importantly, did you have fun?????

I did have fun and I don't hate it as much. And doing well certainly helps that. I have a really bad cold right now, so it made yesterday's race really tough for me. I had snot running down my nose during the race and I had a hacking cough for about 5 hours after the race. It was disgusting!

My report from yesterday is still forthcoming, but I can TOTALLY relate to the dry heaves and wanting to vomit. In 'cross, if you don't feel like that, you aren't racing hard enough!!!

Yup, when you feel like vomiting, it means you did it right!

mtbdarby
10-30-2006, 07:36 AM
Great job Renee! I knew you'd step up to the plate. So how does it feel now? Looking back is it more fun? And most importanly, did you wear a costume??????:p

madisongrrl
10-30-2006, 07:42 AM
Great job Renee! I knew you'd step up to the plate. So how does it feel now? Looking back is it more fun? And most importanly, did you wear a costume??????:p

Thanks Dar,

CX still is very painful, but it's fun. It is pretty much 45+ minutes of all out, burning lungs, burning legs, towing the line between controlled suffering and blowing up.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to put a costume together. I was at the WORS banquet in Stevens Point the night before and I didn't get home until after midnight. I barely had time to pack my gear and get to bed. I had to get up before 7:30am on Sunday so we could head to Milwaukee for the race. Needless to say, I'm exhausted today and I will not be riding my trainer until tomorrow.

Trekhawk
10-30-2006, 07:51 AM
I've raced 4 races this year and my results have been mediocre to poor. I've had bad starts, got dropped, flubbed barriers, DNFed. But yesterday was different....

When I stepped up to the start line and looked at all Cat 3 women (there were ~ 10 of us). I said to my friend, "Damn, doesn't look any slow chicks showed up today. This is going to hurt". I thought, too late now....I already paid my money and I have to race....please let me not finish last.

The whistle blew and I punched it. I was out in front, first mission accomplished. A little into the lap, 3 women overtake me. I tell myself to focus and hang on. A few barriers and another woman passes me., riding 5th and everyone else is well behind. Focus. Pass a woman, now riding 4th. A little back and forth, I'm 5th, I'm 4th, I'm 5th. I stay on the 4th women's wheel. We catch the women who is 3rd. I attack as hard as I can, 2 women left behind. Now I'm riding 3rd. I ask myself, "Was that smart?". I wasn't sure. Final lap. The Bell rings. Barrier run-up, I feel like I'm going to explode. All the spectators are screaming at me to attack, push, run. There are people screaming in Polish. I don't know what is going on. My vision is leaving me. Punch it, don't let them catch you. I sail into the finish, 3rd on the day. I slump over my bike and dry heave and wait for the vomit to come, it doesn't. I hack, cough and spit for the next 10 minutes. A little post race banter, and I'm off to change my clothes....and pick up my prize money. Yes, today I didn't suck.

Congratulations and thanks for posting the report - I felt like I was there.
WELL DONE.:)

chickwhorips
10-30-2006, 09:03 AM
right on! way to go!!! :D :D :D

RoadRaven
10-30-2006, 09:13 AM
Woohoo!!!

Fab race report... outta interest - how long were the laps?

And like madison and SheFly said, if you wanna heave, you gave it all you had - and thats a tough mental and physical thing to do - congrats on giving your all!

madisongrrl
10-30-2006, 10:00 AM
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]

Fab race report... outta interest - how long were the laps?

I'm not sure. Usually I'm anal retentive about racing. At race starts I reset my computer, start my stop watch etc. But I did none of that yesterday. So, I'd guess they were 2 miles. I'm not even sure how many laps I did.

SheFly
10-30-2006, 10:26 AM
I did have fun and I don't hate it as much. And doing well certainly helps that. I have a really bad cold right now, so it made yesterday's race really tough for me. I had snot running down my nose during the race and I had a hacking cough for about 5 hours after the race. It was disgusting!

Yippee! She doesn't hate it. More importantly, she had FUN! :D

Snot rockets while racing - tough to do, but sometimes (like yesterday for me), completely necessary. Oh, and the cough? I have that after every race. Sounds like I smoked a pack and a half...

Good job!

SheFly

velogirl
10-31-2006, 06:25 PM
Congratulations! You know, sometimes it just takes a few weeks of racing to get your groove on in cross.

Re snot, I've got snot and drool (snool) all the time when I race (even without a cold). It's worse in the fall when it gets cold because it makes my nose run. Just let it drip down your face -- it shows that you're working hard!

RoadRaven
11-02-2006, 09:07 AM
Oh, and the cough? I have that after every race. Sounds like I smoked a pack and a half...

Pursuiters Cough... yup, I get that too!

Cassandra_Cain
11-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Well done! :)

They say if you have anything left at the end, then you just didn't go hard enough - not the case with you though.

I watched a c-x race recently and it is really intricate stuff. The obstacles and dismounting would make it a challenge to find a rhythm, the way you can in a TT for instance.

velogirl
11-02-2006, 11:59 AM
Pursuiters Cough... yup, I get that too!

We call it crit cough in these parts. Or track rasp. Good stuff. It's the reason I don't coach clinics the day after racing -- I can't talk and I'll lose my voice if I try too hard.