PDA

View Full Version : Giro Atmos Helmet in pink

guest1
10-30-2006, 03:59 AM
Giro has a 2007 Atmos helmet in pink/silver. MSRP is $174.99, which I don't want to spend. I may need to wait until the 2008 comes out to get a deal, but hoping someone may have found this helmet at discount somewhere ... anybody?! THANKS!

Trek420
10-30-2006, 05:12 AM
NOW they come out with the pink road bike helmet....I will look for that at the Veloswap.

Who's goin'?

Pedal Wench
10-30-2006, 05:40 AM
I have an older one that's white with pink flames - I think it's a 2005 model. You might find that someplace.

pyxichick
10-31-2006, 02:52 PM
My BF is a sales rep for Bell/Giro. He tells me to recommend the Bell Sweep R in pink and white for 129.95 or the Giro Pneumo for 145.00 in pink and pewter. They're not quite as nice as the Atmos, but they're "pretty nice."

He says "everyone likes the Giro Atmos in pink but nobody buys it."

cheers,
Kate :)

Grog
10-31-2006, 03:17 PM
If the Sweep-R fits you nicely, be aware that the Atmos might not fit you at all, and vice versa.

I have a Sweep R with I LOOOOOVE tremendously. I had a great deal (half-price) on an Atmos last spring so I got one as well. Wickedly good looking helmet, but it's really not comfortable on my head. I have worn it for a while because it was the only helmet I had with me while on a long trip away from home, but I was most happy to find my Sweep waiting for me at home.

The Eclipse fits differently. Not bad on me. It's also very light and way cheaper than the Atmos, which is overrated in my book...

Mimosa
10-31-2006, 10:13 PM
I bought the Pneumo last year, I also had the choice between the Pneumo, Atmos and the Bell Sweep R. But in the end I decided on Pneumo since I felt that the Atmos was to expensive and I already saw some damage on the Bell just from being on the shelf in the shop (or somebody used it for soccer practice)

And I haven't regretted my decission, it must be the best fitting helmet I ever bought.

cherinyc
11-01-2006, 06:39 AM
I currently have a Giro Eclipse - my first helmet, Size Small - and I hate it. It's just too big on my head. When I was helmet shopping, before I even knew about TE or anything, the stores I went to only had 1 women's option - and it was a super cheap version. So I went with a better helmet - more vents, lighter, etc - thinking of comfort. Thing is - I have a small head, and feel ridiculous in the helmet I have.

Anyone have advice on which of the women's helmets are actually smaller (not just pink) that might be good for me? Grog's comment about if one kind fits you the other kind may not......got me to thinking about what I should be looking at. Just like with sunglasses, some helmets may just be better for smaller heads, right?

Also - if I find a new WSD helmet - I will be posting one slightly used Giro Eclipse helmet for sale:D . Retail $80. I will sell it cheap though.

thanks

Grog
11-01-2006, 06:46 AM
Anyone have advice on which of the women's helmets are actually smaller (not just pink) that might be good for me? Grog's comment about if one kind fits you the other kind may not......got me to thinking about what I should be looking at. Just like with sunglasses, some helmets may just be better for smaller heads, right?

Every head is different and it seems like every helmet is different. Just try on A LOT until something fits nicely on your head. I don't think the women options are necessarily that different size-wise. Even if the helmet is "cheap", it fits the same security standards. Of course it might be a bit heavier and less vented, but if it fits your head, it makes you safer than with a ill-fitting helmet...

cherinyc
11-01-2006, 07:37 AM
Every head is different and it seems like every helmet is different. Just try on A LOT until something fits nicely on your head. I don't think the women options are necessarily that different size-wise. Even if the helmet is "cheap", it fits the same security standards. Of course it might be a bit heavier and less vented, but if it fits your head, it makes you safer than with a ill-fitting helmet...

well, it's not that the helmet I have isn't snug - I can tighten it down so it doesn't move - I just feel like a doofus b/c it seems to stick out so much from my head. I especially noticed it when I saw event photos of myself. The helmet practically covers my whole forehead. Maybe Giro's helmets are more bulbous than others. It's just not streamlined on my head AT ALL.

Pedal Wench
11-01-2006, 07:46 AM
...The helmet practically covers my whole forehead. Maybe Giro's helmets are more bulbous than others. ...

Is that necessarily a bad thing?

caligurl
11-01-2006, 07:56 AM
if i were into pink road bikes...I'D buy a pink atmos! i mean.... i already wear an atmos... but it's black!

Grog
11-01-2006, 08:00 AM
Hmmm... I got curious so I tried to compare the two helmets on my head.

See respectively the Giro Atmos and the Bell Sweep R. I find them both to come pretty low on my forehead.

I think that's a good thing.

cherinyc
11-01-2006, 08:33 AM

See respectively the Giro Atmos and the Bell Sweep R. I find them both to come pretty low on my forehead.

mine is lower. see Grog - you look cool in your helmet.
Here's me. It's hard to see (my sunglasses were holding it up) and the other pic is small, but. the helmet just "looks" bulky on my head (in my own twisted and thwarted opinion, b/c hell, I am supposed to look like a frigin supermodel, right) :rolleyes:

caligurl
11-01-2006, 08:46 AM

that's about where mine fits... you WANT it on your forehead! recently at a ride there was a lady wearing her helmet all cocked back on her head like the little kids do.... i cringed every time i saw her cuz she was "toast" if she fell off and hit her forehead!

i don't have any close ups of just my head.... this one does a good job of showing my atmos: (i need smaller sunglasses!)

http://caligurl.com/bikergurl/wp-content/cholla%20garden%20jun4/cholla19.JPG

Grog
11-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Cherinyc: your glasses are bigger though!!

Just kidding.

Some helmets come in XS, you might want to check that out. I know some kids helmet without the kids patterns also fit some adults... But again they might be heavier / less vented etc. I'm sure you'll find what you need out there!

cherinyc
11-02-2006, 06:04 AM
Cherinyc: your glasses are bigger though!!

Just kidding.

hee hee - my boyfriend was cringing at my sunglasses (he's such a bicycle snob sometimes). I have shopped for sunglasses, and even had a pair of Smith Toaster Slides (that are supposed to be for smaller faces) that I tried to ride with, but they are all so uncomfortable for me. Honestly, the sunglasses bounce on my face, the helmet knocks into the top, the sweat makes them slide, they fog up, etc etc etc....just not worth it. These huge plastic avators I am wearing in that picture fit my face tightly, so I kept them on for about the first 15 minutes or so of the ride. Then they were just too hot to wear.
I am hoping that when I get to Colorado (and will be unemployed for a bit) I will have time to shop (and a better selection to shop from). I want to try on Zeal's, Tifosi's, and Rudy Projects. The Titlenine catalogue has these "5 Reasons" sunglasses that look pretty cool too (and they have them in pink:D ) that are a good price. We'll see.

emily_in_nc
11-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Cheri ~ I'll back you up -- your helmet does look too large for your noggin! The other gals who posted their photos look like they have a great fit, and their helmets are not out of proportion to their heads. Yes, it should come down part way on your forehead for protection, but not down to your eyelids and have to be held up by sunglasses! :D

I think you should try on some other size smalls in different brands. I have tried on some helmets that are TINY (I wear an adult medium, or S/M). Surely there will be something to fit you. Also, some of the youth helmets are pretty cute. My step-sister always had to buy those when she was riding as she has, in her own words, a "pea head". :D

Emily

Geonz
11-14-2006, 11:02 AM
I agree, there's a proportion perception problem (try saying that three times fast). It does look bigger & bulkier than the others'. It might just be a thing you're stuck with, though (I think I have the same issue).

Triskeliongirl
12-11-2006, 07:44 AM
You may prefer a european brand. My husband really likes the fit of the Louie Garneu helmets in L, but recently found to get a similar fit he needed an M in a giro atmos. FYI, the 2005 atmos is on sale in size S for only 110 here

http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ItemMatrix.asp?GroupCode=HL%2DGIR%2DAtmos04&MatrixType=1

and the 2006s in larger sizes for 129 here:

http://www.bikesmart.com/index.cfm?menu=browse&cid=HEL&ssid=PAOHADBAJJEIAABM&ap=189.99&StartRow=1

I just ordered DH one for Xmass.....