PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear protective glasses when you ride?

Steph
10-29-2006, 01:22 PM
I never thought about it before but am thinking about getting some. What kind do you use and will I look like a big bug?

Kitsune06
10-29-2006, 03:56 PM
I always do. Looking like a bug is a small price to pay for the knowledge that at least you won't get sand/grit/debris in your eyes in the event of a (frequent!) crash.

xeney
10-29-2006, 04:07 PM
I don't, but I just ordered a new pair of prescription sunglasses, and this time I specifically chose a pair that provided good protection for cycling. (These ones (http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1966834), I think, in black.) Not only do I need something to keep the wind and the dust and the cottonwood fluff out of my eyes, but I need something to protect my eyes from light from the sides and the top -- I hate having to leave the visor on my helmet all the time, but if I don't, my eyes feel burned at the end of the ride.

Pebble
10-29-2006, 05:16 PM
I wear the ones below when I have my contacts in - unfortunately I can't get prescription sunnies in my prescription that wrap around to my liking, they have to be relatively flat (like normal specs):mad:

Otherwise I just wear my normal glasses on short rides or when I'm not wearing sunnines.

Never tried moto goggles or those sunnies you can get that are more like swimming goggles!
Check this out: http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level4c.tam?&M5COPY.ctx=24172

Bolle Downdrafts - seem great even when the weather turns & everything goes dull!

http://www.binoculars.com/images/46361.jpg

xeney
10-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Pebble, my husband has a similar issue with his prescription, and he has these weird Bolle glasses that have a regular round lens behind the curved, tinted part. The nice thing about them is that it is cheaper to have the prescription updated, because they just slip in a new flat lens.

han-grrl
10-30-2006, 05:00 AM
I ALWAYS where some kind of glasses when i mtb or road ride. Bugs, branches dust are no fun to get in the eyes. Also once when i was riding, i endo-ed and landed on my side. my face however was inches from a rock. actually the jagged pointy side of the rock tapped my glasses(not too hard) when i landed. i was glad i was wearing those things...

ladyfish
10-30-2006, 05:52 AM
Native Dash glasses. They fit my face (which seems hard to find) and have exchangeable lenses for all lighting conditions!

madisongrrl
10-30-2006, 07:15 AM
Here is a picture of my specs.

http://rebach.smugmug.com/gallery/2015481/1/103184772/Original

I definitely wear glasses when cycling, especially mountain biking. Too much dirt, too many bugs, and too many random tree branches to whack me in the face.

BeeLady
10-30-2006, 08:44 AM
I wear fitovers over my regular glasses. Good protection against bugs, wind, and sun but not shatter proof like the really expensive glasses. That will be next, probably Rudy Project or similar where I can have a slide in prescription and be able to change color lenses on the sunglasses. (My cracked windshield in my truck makes me think shatter-proof is worth the money if riding on a road.)

http://technical-gear.com

chickwhorips
10-30-2006, 09:00 AM
i have a pair of smith theory sunglasses that i always wear. they fit me perfectly and don't slide down at all no matter how much i sweat.

Pebble
10-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Pebble, my husband has a similar issue with his prescription, and he has these weird Bolle glasses that have a regular round lens behind the curved, tinted part. The nice thing about them is that it is cheaper to have the prescription updated, because they just slip in a new flat lens.

Thanks Xeney - probably something I'll look into once the contacts run out this year. More often than not I can't be bothered putting the contacts in, and they get unconfortable after about half a day (particularly when in a drier climate).

Does he get much glare between the lenses?

Puffin
10-31-2006, 05:01 AM
My Dh will never go near his eyes with his fingers so has to go prescription. He's tried Addidas Evil Eyes and a Rudy Project pair, but had problems with both - not perfect sight, steaming up and sweat slip. He's eventually forked out for a pair of Oakleys (just like Lance!) and although it an extreme amount of money, he swears by them.

I wear lenses so have a wider choice of shields available. I have worn Smith's Toasters for a few years now and absolutley LOVE them. The lenses are really easily interchangeable and I think they look really cool! :cool: The lenses are getting a bit scratched so I will be looking to just replace the orange lenses, which I wear the most. I have to say that wearing orange lenses not only makes the weather look better, but it also makes you FEEL warmer. NO kidding!

luv'nAustin
10-31-2006, 06:25 AM
I always wear glasses too. My eyes tear up in the wind and the glasses really help. They have also helped with bugs, rocks and other stuff that comes flying at you during a ride. Check out the picture at this link, it is of my newest pair and I love them! :D Mine are slightly different and has a Texas symbol on them and also Lance's signature on the lens. Bonus!

Karri

Irulan
10-31-2006, 06:57 PM
for overcast, grey or rainy days, or even just riding in shade, you can't be a pair of clear safety glasses. You can pick up sporty looking impact resistant safety glasses for about $10 at any good hardware store. I went headfirst into a stump this summer, and those glasses saved me. I had a funny looking bruise, though.

snowtulip
10-31-2006, 07:15 PM
Irulan - good to see you back in this forum!

I learned to always ride with eye protection because of some incidents with small branches. I wear Zeal Zooni's, I love them!

wavedancer
11-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Hey Irulan! I've been wondering where ya' been...Nice to see you back o the forum.

Someone had a link to some safety glasses a while back. Seems like they would be ideal for off-road riding. I am currently wearing Rudy Project Jekylls. I still get some tearing when I first start riding, but it seams to go away after a few minutes. I'd like to find something with more coverage so may go the safety glasses route.

Brandi
11-07-2006, 06:00 PM
Me too. My eye's water like crazy if I don't anyway!

madisongrrl
11-08-2006, 06:39 AM
for overcast, grey or rainy days, or even just riding in shade, you can't be a pair of clear safety glasses. You can pick up sporty looking impact resistant safety glasses for about $10 at any good hardware store. I went headfirst into a stump this summer, and those glasses saved me. I had a funny looking bruise, though.

Unless your safety glasses are rated to block 98% UVA & UVB rays, then you might want to consider buying some rated sunglasses. UVB gets blocked on cloudy/rainy days, but UVA does not. There is much debate and ongoing research surrounding UVA rays and long term damage to the eye.