PDA

View Full Version : More leg stuff...spider veins?

cherinyc
10-29-2006, 09:25 AM
Hey - I noticed the varicose vein question so I figured I would ask if anyone could give any info on getting rid of spider veins. I know they're not really a medical issue, but I started getting them in my early 20's (runs in family) and I just hate the way they look. I am naturally fair skinned (aka see-through) so these purple/blue/red splotches really show up. I hate that cycling has made my legs prettier, shape wise, but I am embarassed to show them off. I have them on my calves and thighs.

Is there any way to get medical insurance to cover part of it? I read that they can eventually turn into varicose veins - so maybe getting rid of them now would be considered pre-emptive?

Xrayted
10-29-2006, 06:30 PM
Well, compression hose are supposed to help. There's always injection. Since they're smaller than varicose veins, I think they use saline or something like that to inject into the spider vein and it dries up and gets absorbed by the body. Don't know about the insurance part. I can't even figure out my own. :( The doc may take payments tho. Hope this helps.

emily_in_nc
10-29-2006, 06:44 PM
Spider veins can be treated with sclerotherapy (saline injections) or laser treatments (more $$). I've had sclerotherapy a couple of times. The veins have to be a certain size or it doesn't always work. Some of mine were so tiny she couldn't inject the saline in the proper place to take care of them. A larger one I've had since my late teens was very successful, though -- it is completely GONE (had it injected about a year ago). Sure wish I'd gotten it done decades ago (I'm 45).

And no, spider vein treatment is not covered by insurance. It is considered purely cosmetic. Bummer, I know....Unfortunately too, they can come back in different places after treatment, and a bunch more new ones have cropped up on my legs (mainly on the inner part near my knees) in the past year. :( I'm undecided on further treatment -- it seems almost like a lost cause if more are just going to crop up later.

Emily

Artisan
10-29-2006, 06:47 PM
My sister had a few spider veins and had the saline solution injections to get rid of them. This was years back and it was fairly cheap to have done. I don't remember the exact cost but I believe it was less than 200.

BleeckerSt_Girl
11-01-2006, 01:43 PM
Cheri,
I have some varicose veins behind one knee, and some tiny spider veins on both legs too. They are not THAT big, but they used to bother me a lot.
As I've gotten older (I'm 52 now) I've noticed that skin imperfections simply appear and multiply with time. I think they multiply faster than you could get rid of them! We all start out with perfect angel skin as babies. Then we get hair, freckles, pimples, moles, veins, cellulite, stretch marks, wrinkles, age spots, scars, you name it. That's life.
I, like most humans over 35, have at least a few of EACH of these things! :eek:
If I still had my 30 year old mindset...I'd be FREAKING OUT!!
But happily, I have become more comfortable with my natural imperfections. Overall, I look fine, especially when I smile. This has freed me up tremendously to have fun and enjoy life more. I am just deeply grateful not to have any serious illnesses. I have decided to work on my beauty from the inside out and to not fret too much over the small surface things. (though it's easier said than done) I did have a couple of innocent looking moles removed from my back because they were getting bigger and the doctor recommended that.
How do I deal with my varicose veins?....I wear groovy capris and forget about it altogether!

I love the fact that biking makes us all equally beautiful! :)

CyclChyk
11-01-2006, 03:35 PM
I too have spider veins that embarrass the heck out of me. I find however that when I tan regularly they "disappear".......

I'm thinking of tanning year 'round :D

songlady
11-01-2006, 04:47 PM
I have quite the collection of spider veins (thanks MOM :rolleyes:). I find that using self tanner definitely helps to hide them. Certainly is cheaper than anything the dr. would offer!