PDA

View Full Version : Long Runs -- 10/23 1-29

kaybee
10-29-2006, 06:17 AM
Yesterday was an 11-miler. The temp was about 50 and the wind was blowing about 15 mph -- not ideal running weather, but we tried not to think about it and just went out and did it. We're still averaging 10 minute miles, so it looks like we'll be okay.

Anyone else run long this week?

KB

Edited: that should say 10/23 - 10/29!

Shiraz
10-29-2006, 06:41 AM
I ran 12.5 miles on Wednesday the 25th. I drove out and found a new path to take up a rural dirt road and left my water and power gel. BY the time I hit my turn around point it had started to snow and the wind was picking up. I was covered with snow but not really cold. I was somewhat disappointed that I ran pretty slow but isn't it great to be out running with the first snow fall!! We ended up with about an inch of wet heavy snow.

btchance
10-29-2006, 08:34 AM
I just got back in from a 10.5 miler. The first 8.5 went great, felt fine, and was picking the pace up beginning around mile 5. Well, I don't know what happened but I felt my left knee give out on the outside and then had a sharp pain. It went away after a couple of minutes so I tried running again. Went a little bit, felt the pain, so I walked. Repeated twice. After that I decided to just walk the last mile, mile 1/2 home. I've got ice on it and have already started the anti-inflammatories. I'm going to baby it this week and just see how it goes. Hopefully it's not my meniscus, but with where it's hurting, and it feeling like it locked up on me once, I'm afraid it might be.

Kb - it sounds like you're doing great. Keep it up. The wind sucks to run in.

Shiraz - I used to love running in the snow, just so relaxing. Now if we would only get a little snow in Alabama. I know, I'm dreaming!

kaybee
10-29-2006, 11:43 AM
Shiraz -- sounds like a lovely run. I've only run in a snow a couple of times but loved it -- it's so quiet.

BT -- take care of that knee! What rotten luck. Think it could be your IT band?

KB

mosaic
10-29-2006, 12:55 PM
I did 17 miles today. We are having 50mph gusts and towards the end of the run I was feeling pretty weak and almost bit it a couple of times. I still feel pretty good considering. Hopefully, with good weather the 20 milers coming up will be more tolerable.

colby
10-29-2006, 02:23 PM
Today was a shorter run, 10 miles. I took the dog out with me for the first 4, then did the last 6 on my own. Weather is not so great, but could be worse -- probably about 40 degrees, windy, a little bit of rain (big drops, but not many of them). The dog thing is probably as irritating as the weather sometimes (sniff, poo, admire other dog through fence and refuse to move, repeat for 4 miles).

This week I have been practicing hill technique, fold at hips, arms into it, get into a rhythm and stick with it all the way "over" the hill. It helps regulate my heart rate, but eventualy it's kind of inevitable that the hill wins on that front ;)

Next week is my last long run. :eek:

I did 17 miles today. We are having 50mph gusts and towards the end of the run I was feeling pretty weak and almost bit it a couple of times. I still feel pretty good considering. Hopefully, with good weather the 20 milers coming up will be more tolerable.

It is pretty rewarding to overcome the weather, some days it's brutal. When you do the same run in good weather, it seems so much easier ;)

Running Mommy
10-29-2006, 03:33 PM
I'm starting to build in earnest now. But next weekend I'll be in NYC to spectate at the NYCM, so no long runs until the following weekend.

My run this weekend seemed tougher than normal, and now I know why. I'm coming down with something. I've been fighting a headache since friday and now I'm getting a sore throat. My planned two hour ride today was cut in half because I just wasn't feeling it. And knowing that I'll be on a plane in 4 days I didn't want to push it.
Sooo...I'm now on the zicam highway! UGH! :o

colby
10-29-2006, 04:16 PM
My run this weekend seemed tougher than normal, and now I know why. I'm coming down with something. I've been fighting a headache since friday and now I'm getting a sore throat. My planned two hour ride today was cut in half because I just wasn't feeling it. And knowing that I'll be on a plane in 4 days I didn't want to push it.
Sooo...I'm now on the zicam highway! UGH! :o

My office has been FULL of sick people for about 2 months now, and I can tell my body is fighting it off. Today I had "that feeling" in my throat, a bit of a headache, some sneezing. I ran anyway, but like you, it did seem harder than normal. Last Monday I had a nasty headache, and I don't normally get them unless something is coming.

I recommend airborne, too. It makes you feel better if you feel bad, and can help the ol' immune system even if you don't. We also got a sinus wash machine dealie that seems to help clear the stuff out of the head by helping the sinuses to drain.

I liked the Zicam swabs until they changed the packaging. Now it's either the squirty stuff, or the chewables (yucky, but...).

Grog
10-29-2006, 07:20 PM
Reporting a sweet 14 or 15 km run (can't tell the exact distance) with, believe it or not, my dear partner.

We cannot usually run together (he's way too fast!!) but we were off on a weekend holiday in Whistler and decided to at least start together to the trail head. Turned out we went to the trail head, then he started taking his regular speed, but turned around every once in a while to meet me. He was running about 30% faster than me so he probably run about 3 km more than me. After that, past the 1 hour mark, he was tired and ran closer to me the whole time. That was a sweet treat!!

Great job to all who ran!

kaybee
10-30-2006, 06:38 AM
Wow! You ladies are phenomenal. I want to be like you when I grow up! :D

Colby, when I run hills I pretend I'm walking up an escalator. For some silly reason that helps!

KB

Grog
10-30-2006, 07:32 AM
Colby, when I run hills I pretend I'm walking up an escalator. For some silly reason that helps!

Great idea, makes sense: small steps, on a beat, pushing harder to go up.

Practicing on stairs do help for running hills, so those who live on flat terrain could do that. I am almost certain it would help for cycling as well. Practicing the "explosive power" that's required to climb. Even better if taken two by two sort of fast...

Hummm.. Food for thought.

limewave
10-30-2006, 08:09 AM
Great job on the training everyone! The wind was killer this weekend. I did an easy 8 mile run--I don't want to lose all my endurance after the mary. I'm hoping to do a 12 miler next week . . . we'll see. Anyways, after my run, my legs felt so exhausted! And then, this morning at spin, I felt as though I was running on empty. I must not be fully recovered yet.

colby
10-30-2006, 08:52 PM

SO much of running is mental, that really makes sense. I'll have to try that next time. Great idea :)

Practicing on stairs do help for running hills, so those who live on flat terrain could do that. I am almost certain it would help for cycling as well. Practicing the "explosive power" that's required to climb. Even better if taken two by two sort of fast...

Hummm.. Food for thought.

How do you find good stair sets, though? I can't even think of the last place I saw major quantities of stairs, but I figure there must be some around here somewhere. I would love to do stair sets (love being a relative term). ;)

Grog
10-31-2006, 05:51 AM
How do you find good stair sets, though? I can't even think of the last place I saw major quantities of stairs, but I figure there must be some around here somewhere. I would love to do stair sets (love being a relative term). ;)

High buildings (easier if you work in them!), pedestrian overpasses, and any friend's house with more than one flight of stairs in a row! :)

Deborajen
10-31-2006, 07:07 AM
Our local university has a nice football stadium but dropped its football program. They allow use of the stadium for stair climbing workouts.

If you have anything along those lines nearby, it could be worth checking out.

Deb