PDA

View Full Version : noisy gearing

PAFreckles
10-27-2006, 06:20 AM
I have a 2006 Trek 1500 wsd which i love dearly and it rides like a dream. BUT, the gearing is noisy. There are very few gears that allow silent riding. I have had it to the shop several times for adjustment since april and I am beginning to wonder if this problem is specific to the bike. I have not had this with any of my other bikes. Maybe I should find another shop. Anyone else have this problem?

mimitabby
10-27-2006, 06:55 AM
Hey PA, welcome to the forum. I am not an expert, but i promise some wiser folks will read and respond to your post soon. however
it sounds like you need a better mechanic!
if SOME gears are quiet and OTHERS are not. That sounds like they are not fixing it.

We hope you'll stick around and get to know us..

but hang on, others will respond..

Mimi

velogirl
10-27-2006, 07:08 AM
I assume you have a triple since that's what comes stock on the Trek 1500? Are you aware that there are five different trims for the front derailleur? If you trim correctly, this should eliminate much of the noise you hear. As your bike shop to explain how to do this.

mimitabby
10-27-2006, 07:14 AM
Oh Velogirl, WHAT is a TRIM?? Does my bike have them too?

indysteel
10-27-2006, 07:27 AM
Given what you've already described, I tend to think it's a rear--and not a front--derailleur issue. Does the chatter or noise increase as your chain gets more out of a straight line, i.e., as you shift into more "extreme" gears in teh back?

Alternatively, it could be that your chain is too long or too short. Have them check the length. And, if it's a 10-speed, make sure you have a chain appropriate for a 10-speed. I had all kinds of drivetrain noise until I realized that the LBS hadn't changed my chain out when they switched me over to a 10-speed cassette. They tried to convince me that the chain was fine, but I insisted. And guess what? No more noise. They should have known better, but that's another story.

In any event, it might be time to take it to another shop.

Eden
10-27-2006, 08:03 AM
Oh Velogirl, WHAT is a TRIM?? Does my bike have them too?

On your left shifter (the one that controls the front) you'll find you should have more stops (clicks) than you have chainrings, so if your chain is clattering you can try to move into one of the trim stops to see if you can make it stop. It takes a light hand to move into one of the trim stops without shifting chain rings.

mimitabby
10-27-2006, 08:17 AM
Thanks Eden. I didn't know the name for that.

DebW
10-27-2006, 08:47 AM
Worn drivetrain parts can make things noisier. How old are your chain and cassette? You should know that the cross-over gears will always be noisier than gears which keep the chain in more of a straight line. But the non-crossover gears should be pretty quiet, and if they are not you need a better mechanic. Scraping noises usually come from the front derailleur, and dinging or chattering noises from the rear. If you think the noises are coming from the rear cluster, it's probably just that the rear derailleur isn't adjusted properly and the chain is not perfectly centered over the cogs in many of the gears. This is an easy adjustment.

PAFreckles
10-28-2006, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the info. The noise is definitely when using the extreme gears and the chain is not straight. I have noticed that if i use a soft touch on the front shifter a second time (must be trim??) that the chain is in a better position and quieter.

Am in the process of looking for a new mechanic. Now I will be better able to discuss the problem and hopefully have it resolved.

Thanks. I enjoy all the great threads in this group.

RoadRaven
10-28-2006, 04:55 PM
I read snippets of this thread out to my partner and son...

My partners suggestion?

"She needs a new bike"

:p

License to shop... Good luck Freckles, hope you get it sorted one way or another!

guest1
10-30-2006, 03:48 AM
Here's my 2 cents worth: as women, we seem to rely on bike mechanics more than men, which is OK but when it comes to simple stuff we really need to be more empowered to know what is going on and how to fix it. In this case, you don't need a new mechanic or a new bike but just new knowledge -- all bikes flex when you ride them, it is how they are made. That is why a chain can be perfectly quiet on a stand but rub a bit when riding. When riding watch where it rubs -- front or back -- and at what gears. Can you trim to fix? Did you cross chain? If not, learn which adjustment screw works for high and low gears on both your front and back deraillluer and how to adjust them. Take a small screw driver with you when you ride and using your adjustment screw knowledge, turn the correct screw the correct way (usually no more than a quarter turn) and you have mechanically and independently fixed your bike!!

PAFreckles
11-01-2006, 11:12 AM
us__wr Thank you that is the best advice. i have the screwdriver now i need to get acquainted with the settings.