PDA

View Full Version : x-c skiing

pyxichick
10-26-2006, 07:03 PM
Okay, I know it may be a little early to bring it up, but are there any other cross country skiers here?

I love having this place to talk to other women about cycling, but I can't seem to find anything equivalent for women and skiing. It'd be great to have some online ski friends to check in with once in awhile. :)

Kate

yellow
10-26-2006, 07:17 PM
Oh, we're here. I can think of a few...Bron, Telegirl, fixedgeargirl, Dr. Liz... and myself, of course. I know there are others...

I prefer to skate but will tour with my hubby and puppy dog on occasion. I also tele and backcountry ski, though the older I get, the more I like skating. It's like skiing and running combined, two of my most favorite things! :)

short cut sally
10-26-2006, 07:33 PM
i am new to x-c skiing, got started last year. the snow wasn't the greatest to do a lot of it though. am hoping for some quality time this year. not good at going down hills, afraid to really. if its too steep, i slide down on my butt. i know i'm a weenie. i can go up without problems though. not sure what i have to do, if anything, to get my skis ready for this year. will have to ask around. i have waxless, so i've been told. i am actually planning stuff already, now that biking is slowing down.

han-grrl
10-27-2006, 05:23 AM
I have been skiing classic for a few years, and last year my hubby bought me skate skis...i LOVE them...omg!!

the first time i went out i probably went like MAYBE 200meters...then the second a little further. my goal for the winter was to complete the 22 km road loop we have here..which i did. it took me just over 3 hours...which is funny because it takes me 52 minutes on the road bike. anyway, i hobbled over to the car when i was done and cheered when i did it...it was a warm beautiful day and the snow was mushy and soft (5 degrees C that day)...

i am looking forward to skiing and snoe showing again!

Kimmyt
10-27-2006, 05:25 AM
http://www.theskidiva.com/forums/

That's trended a bit more towards downhill, though there may be some posts about xc. It's a new site, and somewhat small but seems nice. The site I like to frequent about all things snow is http://forums.epicski.com, but again that's trended a bit more towards the downhill and backcountry end of things (and snowboarding too).

I've always wanted to try xc, just for the cardio benefits of it, but it's rare when theres a day that I don't want to go downhill and I'm near an area where theres xc trails and rentals. The days I do end up having free I'm much too wiped to do anything physical and am more into recovering for the next day of skiing!

Eden
10-27-2006, 07:16 AM
I learned to love x-country skiing in college - I went to school in Rochester NY so we usually had plenty of snow and cold weather to have fun in. Rochester was pretty darn flat though. Now that I live out in the PNW I still like to ski, but I don't know much, well anything really about the backcountry / avalanches etc. so I feel pretty limited as to where I can ski out here. First and foremost, its got to be safe and its hard to find areas with no avalanch hazards that still get snow.

Quillfred
10-27-2006, 08:52 AM
I learned to love x-country skiing in college - I went to school in Rochester NY so we usually had plenty of snow and cold weather to have fun in. Rochester was pretty darn flat though. Now that I live out in the PNW I still like to ski, but I don't know much, well anything really about the backcountry / avalanches etc. so I feel pretty limited as to where I can ski out here. First and foremost, its got to be safe and its hard to find areas with no avalanch hazards that still get snow.

The ski resorts have groomed trails which are low risk for avalanches. If you want a fine, decadent experience the Methow Valley has the nice fluffy drier snow. This place is IT: http://www.skisunmountain.com/

If you want to quasi-tour, Paradise at Mt. Rainier is wonderful and you can get the avalanch reports at Longmire. I love staying at Longmire for a couple nights and skiing up at Paradise. This is best in Spring though as Rainier gets a huge snowfall and visibility and conditions can be iffy. Hurricane Ridge in the Olympics is also beautiful and you should be able to find lower risk trails if you check with the Rangers. Don't deny yourself.

uk elephant
10-27-2006, 09:12 AM
Being Norwegian, I started xc skiing about the same time I started walking. Still love going out backcountry skiing. I generally avoid the prepared trails, too full of people. I love just putting on my skis outside the cabin and head off into the woods in whatever direction takes my fancy at the moment. Plod along for a while, then find a nice place to dig a seat in the snow and take a break with a flask of hot chocolate and some cookies. The perfect winter day out. And now that Duck on Wheels has reported snow in Trondheim, I'm excited for Christmas and lots of skiing trips!!!

pyxichick
10-27-2006, 09:21 AM
Yay for all the skiers on the board!

I forgot to mention my favorite xc website http://www.skinnyski.com which is based out of Mpls., so it's midwest-centric, but they still have trail reports for all over the world.

Cheers!
Kate :D

Eden
10-27-2006, 12:28 PM
The ski resorts have groomed trails which are low risk for avalanches. If you want a fine, decadent experience the Methow Valley has the nice fluffy drier snow. This place is IT: http://www.skisunmountain.com/

If you want to quasi-tour, Paradise at Mt. Rainier is wonderful and you can get the avalanch reports at Longmire. I love staying at Longmire for a couple nights and skiing up at Paradise. This is best in Spring though as Rainier gets a huge snowfall and visibility and conditions can be iffy. Hurricane Ridge in the Olympics is also beautiful and you should be able to find lower risk trails if you check with the Rangers. Don't deny yourself.

Yeah - we want to make it up to Methow some day. I've looked it over and it looks just beautiful. There are some groomed trails down in the foothills around Mt. Rainier that I've looked at too. They got some ski in huts available for renting that look really nice.

Aint Doody
10-27-2006, 03:28 PM
I'm in here, too! I love Alpine and Nordic, but Nordic is my favorite for the physical workout while enjoying all the aesthetic part. I love the quiet and the fact that there are generally way less people doing classic or skate than schussing down the hills.

colby
10-28-2006, 12:02 PM
I haven't, but have considered trying it. Any chance I get to go up with my dad I'm snowboarding, but he's going to be teaching at the mountain this year so I might have some time to myself to try the ol' nordic style. I've only been on alpine skis once or twice (never telemark), so it may be entertaining ;)

KnottedYet
10-28-2006, 01:11 PM
I've xc'd since I was about 3 or 4. SKnot got his first skis right after he learned to walk. (about 2)

right now, due to twists of fate (me) and growing (SKnot), neither of us has skis.:(

divingbiker
10-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Maybe one of you xc ski ladies can answer my question, since I always seem to forget to ask when I go to REI.

I have a pair of cross country skis that I last used when I lived in Massachusetts, which was 20 years ago. I think I must have thrown out the boots because I can't find them in the basement, so I'll need to get new boots, which I assume means I'll need new bindings, too. Is it worth retrofitting new bindings on the old skis? Is it even possible? I hate to buy new skis given that I'm obviously not committed to the sport, but I'd like to be able to go out occasionally when we get a good snow here in the DC area.

yellow
10-28-2006, 06:26 PM
Maybe one of you xc ski ladies can answer my question, since I always seem to forget to ask when I go to REI.

Tougher question than you think. Nowadays, XC skis are much shorter and there are so many different kinds...touring, "backcountry", skating, classic track, waxable, waxelss...I guess it depends upon what you want to do. The thing I like about the shorter skis is that they are so much easier to maneuver and turn (unlike my old E99s...remember those? Great skis but REALLY hard to turn). Plus there is more of a focus on matching a ski to a skier's weight (and ability to flex the ski) rather than length.

That being said, if you like your skis, just get new boots and bindings. Careful with what you buy...the boots must match the bindings, and there are a bunch of different "systems" now. Of course you can still get 3 pin bindings and boots (which is what I use for touring, along with a waxless metal edged touring ski). In fact , Sierra Trading Post (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/product.aspx?baseno=72999&CN=Alico-Glide-Touring-Ski-Boots-For-Women)has women's 3 pin boots right now. Chances are your skis have a 3 pin binding, which means you could just get new boots.

Oh yeah, I love to talk about ski gear. :rolleyes:

divingbiker
10-29-2006, 05:54 AM
Of course you can still get 3 pin bindings and boots. Chances are your skis have a 3 pin binding, which means you could just get new boots.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I found Alpina boots compatible with 3 pin bindings for $53 http://www.backcountry.com/store/ALP0129/c1/s14/Alpina-Blazer-Touring-Boot.html?id=S4gZi5QZ which is about as much as I'm willing to commit to skiing at this point, so I bought them! Thanks again.

yellow
10-30-2006, 11:04 AM
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I found Alpina boots compatible with 3 pin bindings for $53 http://www.backcountry.com/store/ALP0129/c1/s14/Alpina-Blazer-Touring-Boot.html?id=S4gZi5QZ which is about as much as I'm willing to commit to skiing at this point, so I bought them! Thanks again.
Here's a picture of me with my "old school" touring setup, which is probably like yours (though you can't see much because there was fluff on the groomed trail...and really, it's all about the scenery:p ). It's the perfect combination for goofing off and enjoying a winter day. I feel so lucky to have such great XC skiing close to home.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1/tasdan/Just%20for%20Fun/NorthForkOgden009.jpg

telegirl
10-30-2006, 11:26 AM
WHY does it have to keep raining??? Why can't it snow???? And now a beautiful picture of snow and mountains.....*sob*

I LOVE talking ski gear - I am a newbie cx skier and really, really want to try skate skiing. I made a switch from alpine to telemark skiing and will never lock a heel again.....LOVE backcountry.

Now if it would just SNOW!!!

pyxichick
10-30-2006, 06:40 PM
Yellow,

That's a great picture. It really captures that blue blue sky of winter and the crisp white snow.

Ahh, not long now...

Quillfred
10-31-2006, 08:16 AM
That is a beautiful shot Yellow. I can almost hear/feel the crunch of snow under the skiis.

I have always been curious about XC skating. Does it take many lessons or time to get the hang of it? It seems like a nice way to get up hills.

Quill

RedCanny
10-31-2006, 01:05 PM
Okay, I know it may be a little early to bring it up, but are there any other cross country skiers here?

Yup! Here's one. I hope we have a good snow year. I'd like to get up to Hayward area at some point this winter... maybe even over the Birkie weekend.

pyxichick
10-31-2006, 03:23 PM
RedCanny,

You should definitely ski on the Birkie trail. It is a beautiful thing. The hills will kill you, but it's totally worth it. They even have a part of it lit at night now. I try to get there at least a few times before the race each year, so I can mentally prepare.

Quillfred,

XC Skating is not too difficult to learn. Do you know how to rollerblade or ice skate? If you can do either of those things, and you can ski, then you should be able to skate ski. See if any of your local xc ski areas rent skate skis, so you can try it out.

I remember seeing a t-shirt on a girl skiing at ABR in Michigan one Thanksgiving weekend, it said "real skiers ski uphill."

:D

yellow
10-31-2006, 07:15 PM
XC Skating is not too difficult to learn.
I agree. In fact, I gave up on classic track skiing because I just feel more coordinated skating; feels more like a natural motion. Once I get in shape, that is. It's a lung buster. There's a reason all those pro XC racers are rail thin. And it will give you glutes of steel!

More eye candy: I LOVE the Vs on the freshly groomed track (this is in Park City, different spot than the other photo). I try to get out first thing in the AM and follow the groomer so I get first run. It's squeaky!

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1/tasdan/Just%20for%20Fun/Jan06004.jpg

pyxichick
11-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the pictures, Yellow. That trail looks so fast and inviting... Just the perfect amount of snow and grooming.

Bron
11-02-2006, 03:40 AM

Kate

It's never too early to think about skiing, I think I have been planning for this season since about March.

You're in training for the Birkie aren't you? That's a race that I would like to do one day, the website makes it sound like a great event.

My challenge is going to be learning good classic technique for the Vasaloppet. For some reason I found skating much easier when I started.

Now all we need is snow....

Bron

Bron
01-12-2007, 06:03 AM
So, have any of you girls been out skiing yet? We are having the worst snow winter ever on the side of the pond. No after-work skiing :mad: , so we are trying to get fit by gym work and running.
On the plus side, when we did get to some snow last weekend, I managed to have a classic lesson which helped a lot. Still not sure how much fun 90km in one go will be :eek:

How is the Birkie training going?

Bron

yellow
01-12-2007, 06:57 AM
Bron, we have snow here though not as much as last year. I didn't get my first day until early December. I have 9 days of skating and 2 days of classic so far; feels like more, though. I'm going skating this morning as we got a dump of snow yesterday (I had today off of work already...I did not call in "sick"). I'll be going down to Bryce Canyon for a long weekend this weekend and will thus ski there for 3 days (probably mostly classic-touring with hubby and friends); I've never done this before and have always wanted to. The after work skiing should start in another couple of weeks as the days get longer. I'm really looking forward to that, too!

Funny, with the new snow I told myself I'd go telemark skiing today since I really shouldn't pass up the Utah pow...but I realized I'd rather skate. This is a defining decision for me. I never thought I'd pass up a powder day to go skate. :D

Bron
02-14-2007, 04:08 AM
All spare snow this way please!
I can't belive what a bad season it has been so far - you know the snow is thin when you trip up over mole-hills which are sticking up into the track. I hope all of you ladies in the US are having a better time of it.

How is the training going? We head off to Finnland next week, followed by Sweden for the Vasaloppet. This is going to be interesting, I've only raced once so far this year which was not part of the original plan.

Bron

mudmucker
02-14-2007, 09:08 AM
I live to xc ski in the winter. Similar to living to bike in the good weather. I'm lucky and I can go right from my house or if not there are about 15,000 available acres within 20 minutes of the house. If we have a good season of snow and the more severe the winter, the healthier I am during that winter. I've been xc skiing for 32 years since I got my first skiis at 15. I've done the backcountry skiing and the ski skating. But now I mostly just do classical. I don't go to paid areas so I can be one with the earth, and also just on principle, unless the season gets bad, so I'll break trail or seek out the snowmobile tracks in remoter areas. Although I will go to a groomed area with a person who is new to it so they have a good experience. I try to do one moonlight ski each year and of course boy those nights are real cold, sometimes 0 degrees because all that radiational cooling. What is fun is that I skate 50% of the time on my classic skis. Up until about 3 years ago I was still using my old wooden Bonnas and was skating on the 3-pin bindings. I now have waxable fiberglass and I can beat em real good and not worry. This season has been pretty pitiful for the snow (up until today). Wahoo.

mudmucker
02-14-2007, 01:44 PM
Ya know, I said I don't really like to go to paid areas to ski anymore. Mostly because it's just too good around where I live so I don't want or need to pay. But I keep looking at that second picture of Yellow's - nothing like fresh courduroy in the morning stretching across an open meadow - what a beautiful thing. Woohoo, now that looks fun. Ski skating heaven.

alpinerabbit
02-15-2007, 01:38 AM
WOOT!

I was thinking of some XC skiing in the beautiful Engadine this winter - I am imagining XC has less ecological impact than alpine.

Haven't gotten around to it. Now a gal from work who "spotted" me jogging at lunchtime asked me to join her on a women's xc "run". This is a week before the popular Engadine Marathon XC race. She doesn't care if we are last.

Haven't touched any xc skis since I was 10 or so.
It's 17 km mostly downhill.http://www.engadin-skimarathon.ch/index.php?eID=tx_cms_showpic&file=uploads%2Fpics%2Fstrecke_frauen6_01.jpg&width=800m&height=600m&bodyTag=%3Cbody%20bgcolor%3D%22black%22%3E&wrap=%3Ca%20href%3D%22javascript%3Aclose%28%29%3B%22%3E%20%7C%20%3C%2Fa%3E&md5=eeba6b1025ee45f9c619fd57ce881bea

This will be fun. I will get sore.

Bron
02-15-2007, 03:21 AM
WOOT!

I was thinking of some XC skiing in the beautiful Engadine this winter - I am imagining XC has less ecological impact than alpine.

Haven't gotten around to it. Now a gal from work who "spotted" me jogging at lunchtime asked me to join her on a women's xc "run". This is a week before the popular Engadine Marathon XC race. She doesn't care if we are last.

Haven't touched any xc skis since I was 10 or so.
It's 17 km mostly downhill.

This will be fun. I will get sore.

Wow, how far are you from the Engadine? Now I am jealous!

Is this the Engadiner Frauenlauf? It looks great - I had a look at the website because a friend was doing it. My wish list for next season includes the Engadine ski marathon.

I think xc is much more environmentally friendly - when the snow melts you can't see that a track was ever there, unlike downhill ski pistes which usually look a bit sad in summer.

Well good luck anyway, I'm sure it will be a great race.

Bron

alpinerabbit
02-15-2007, 04:04 AM
Zurich to Samedan is about 2.5 hours. No need to be jealous - you could be there in 5 from Munich. Why not try the Engadine Radmarathon this year, we will be there for the 2nd time doing the 100 km!

I have secured rental skis, my mate will do the hotel and off we go :D !

pyxichick
02-17-2007, 11:57 AM
Bron,

Have you gotten any snow yet?

We've had a miserable winter for skiing. It was spring-like until about mid-Jan. and then it finally snowed enough to ski, and promptly went below zero for about three weeks. My race last weekend had a start temp. of -8F. Now it's finally warm enough to get outside, but the forecast is for rain next week!

I have the Birkie next sat. and it will be interesting to see how I do with the sporadic training I've had this year! I'm actually looking forward to spring, so I can put this season behind me.

Hope you've had a chance to get out in the snow!

kate :)

Bron
02-20-2007, 12:40 PM
Alpinerabbit, thanks for the radmarathon tip, I´ve just had a look at the course and it´s very tempting. I hope you enjoy your ski race.

The snow here has been terrible this winter. It seems as though we have gone straight from Autumn into Spring. We had three day of snow here in Munich and managed two after-work sessions, then it all melted.
We did the König-Ludwig-Lauf two and a half weeks ago and the course had to be shortened and run as two loops of a 20km course instead of the usual 50km. I don´t know how many people had to be out shovelling snow to even get 20km prepared, everything around the course was either green or brown! On the plus side, it was very fast as we were skiing on ice (my bruises have jsut about faded).
I´ve seen a lot more of the gym than I intended to this winter.

Pyxichick, good luck with the Birkie. We´ll be doing the Finlandia Hiihto on Saturday and the Vasaloppet a week later. I hope it all goes well.

Bron

Bron
03-15-2007, 09:48 AM
So how did you all do? Were the races fun?

We survived Finnland and Sweden and finished the Vasaloppet :) (according to the race website this means that I am now a real man:eek: ).
It was long and tough and took ages and I swore as I crossed the finish line that I would never do anything like that again. Now I am starting to think that maybe it wasn´t so bad, but a bit more training on snow instead of the gym would have been a good idea.

Anyway, lining up with 14000 other skiers to start was an experience and the atmosphere was great - thanks to the spectator who helped me rewax my skis half-way through and all of those people handing out food. Now we just have to decide where to hang the diplomas and pln our next race.

Bron