PDA

View Full Version : My First Run on Snow!

yellow
10-26-2006, 06:10 PM
It snowed a little bit last night, a couple of inches at the most. It stayed pretty cold today, so when I went out to hit the trail after work much of it was still covered with snow. OK, it was muddy snow because all the junior XC racers were out running ahead of me and there were happy dogs and their people running about but still...it was snow. :D To top it off it was a beautiful evening and all the fresh snow on the mountains was a treat for the eyes. And the temp was perfect; low 40s, I think.

The snow was much more stable than I thought it would be. Didn't slip once. But then it's pretty dry snow around these parts. I was thinking before that I'd need YakTracks to run this winter but now I'm thinking not.

Can't wait for more snow so I can do it again! :)

Oh, did I say :D :D :D ?

colby
10-26-2006, 07:36 PM
I didn't have problems on the dry snow, but when it does melt-freeze-melt-freeze and started to ice over, it makes for a little more slippery surface. Also, I run in residential areas, so when people use their snowblowers or shovels it leaves behind a fine thin layer of ice :p The trails aren't so bad, they tend to plow them once or twice if it's really bad, then let it go. It's easiest to run on the fresh, untracked stuff.

Fresh snow on top of ice was a little dangerous, you have to be good about landing and taking off from the middle of your feet or you'll slip when the snow packs down on top of the ice. The most scary places were residential street crossings, where cars would melt the snow/ice, then it would freeze into puddles. I walked across a lot of streets last winter.

I was afraid even if I bought yaktracks that I'd ruin them, because we didn't have quite enough snow/ice consistently enough to make it worth it. If the winter had gotten worse and the snow/ice stuck around, I probably would have, and only used them on choice days. Running in snow/ice sure makes you aware of your foot position, balance, and posture! I felt a little limited in my speed, but I always enjoyed running in winter.

So far, up here, we've had a couple of cold/frosty mornings (I've had to wear a long sleeved shirt twice so far), around 30 degrees. Clear or foggy and chilly. 40s and a little cloudy is perfect, after that it starts getting down to layer territory and wardrobe debates... cold enough for long sleeves? Cold enough for compression suit? Cold enough for gloves? :)

Happy running! :D

Shiraz
10-29-2006, 06:53 AM
Yellow,
I also got to run Wed with our first snow in Idaho. I didn't get to run last winter because of a injury and went crazy. I am finally back and loving it.

Hey, I was in your neck of the woods in SLC for a child abuse conference and was able to enjoy the trails above Primary Childrens Hospital both Thursday and Friday evening. I was staying at the Guest House Hotel. It is beautiful this time of year.

chickwhorips
10-29-2006, 08:57 AM
i love running in the snow. its so nice. though to help keep safe while your out there on slippery conditions these shoe cleats (http://www.shoeicecleats.com/?gclid=COXLlIvtnogCFQHqPgodlxlkWw) help out big time!

yellow
10-29-2006, 04:58 PM
Hey, I was in your neck of the woods in SLC for a child abuse conference and was able to enjoy the trails above Primary Childrens Hospital both Thursday and Friday evening. I was staying at the Guest House Hotel. It is beautiful this time of year.
Oh, I love running up there. I assume you went south? If you went north you went up Dry Creek before hitting the "shoreline" of the ancient lake.

Heck I might have seen you Thursday except that I was on the Red Butte portion, which is a spur off of the main trail (that's where the snow was; the Red Butte trail is up higher than the BST). And then on Friday I ran the portion closer to my house up above downtown with my puppy dog.

If you come through again, let me know!

Bikingmomof3
10-29-2006, 05:34 PM
Yellow,
I am so looking forward to being able to run on snow.

RoadRaven
10-30-2006, 09:20 AM
Running on snow... it sounds kinda romantic (not in a "love" way, but in an idealistic way, if that makes sense).

I have only rarely walked on snow, or scraped enough off the ground to make a dirty snowball.

To run in it must be amazing.

Has anyone run as it is snowing? I have only been somewhere as it snowed (not sleeted) twice - and the air was so quiet and still - very eery - to walk or run in it must be quite different to doing the same in other elements...?

chickwhorips
10-30-2006, 09:44 AM
last week i started out and it was snowing peacefully, it wasn't coming straight down here, it never does, but as peacefully as it can get. Suddenly it wasn't snow anymore but snow pellets! youch! now that was painful.

Deborajen
10-30-2006, 04:59 PM
Do those snow cleats actually work? I love running in the snow as it's coming down, as long as the temperature stays above freezing. But when it freezes, I go to the track in the gym or on the treadmill (yuck!) because I'm afraid of slipping and either falling or blowing out my ankle or my knee.--

Deb

yellow
10-30-2006, 05:06 PM
Deb--according to an ultra-running acquaintance, they work very well. She runs the trails here all winter. She just said she has to pick up her feet a tad more...nothing dramatic, but just a little to make sure they "grip".

Veronica
10-30-2006, 05:11 PM
Yellow you almost make me want to take up running. :D

V.

Deborajen
10-31-2006, 07:18 AM
I might look into those snow cleats. Knowing me, I'd probably either trip from not picking my feet up or I'd manage to slip/slide anyway - but being able to run outside even when there's snow on the ground sounds good.

Deb

yellow
10-31-2006, 07:04 PM
I might look into those snow cleats. Knowing me, I'd probably either trip from not picking my feet up or I'd manage to slip/slide anyway - but being able to run outside even when there's snow on the ground sounds good.

There are 2 models: the "walker" and the "pro". This is what the yaktrax folks say about the pro:

The Yaktrax Pro is new on the market and designed for the more active winter person. A mail carrier, runner, outside worker or someone who faces winter conditions on a frequent basis. They are made of the more durable rubber blend and have a removable strap, should you go into deep snow. We have police officers, runners, crossing guards and many other professional using the Pro.

And the website (http://yaktrax.com/testimonials.aspx)has many pictures of people running in them.

maillotpois
11-01-2006, 06:38 AM
Wow. Sounds beautiful. Too bad I don't run anymore.... But you're making me want to snowshoe!

yellow
11-01-2006, 02:23 PM
Wow. Sounds beautiful. Too bad I don't run anymore.... But you're making me want to snowshoe!

Ever tried those running snowshoes?

I wasn't coordinated enough for them. :p D-O-R-K. Yep, that's me.

maillotpois
11-01-2006, 03:06 PM
Just regular lightweight snow shoes are enough. I just like hiking out there in the middle of nowhere, knowing I am not going to go hip deep into the snow!

Lise
11-03-2006, 04:36 AM
Yellow! Glad to hear you're having fun running again! It sounds beautiful. Last Christmas morning I went out for a run. It was snowing and magical. I reflected on miserable Christmases past, and all I'd done to get free. Running is great for that.

That very day I got some Nordic walking shoes and poles I'd asked for. The shoes are like heavy-duty running shoes, water proof and sturdy-soled. Very good for running in that freeze-melt-freeze stuff Colby referred to.

I'll bet Miss Pika likes running better than cycling!

run it, ride it
11-04-2006, 10:19 PM
I'll run in snow up to my knees (it becomes difficult to impossible any higher than that for any length of time).

Yes, it's slippery--but so is mud, wet grass, wet rocks. You learn to push off more carefully, take higher shorter steps when there's a higher risk of slipping.

In several years of running in snow I've only fallen once--slipped on black ice. I was only bruised. Compare to five or six falls I've had running on rocks, mud, even pavement--two were twisted ankles. If you fall in snow, all you get is snow-covered!